Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am surprised that no one has suggested you contact brp.care@brp.com - at the very least brp need to know about this - not just the dealer.
    Hope your insurance covers you.
    It would leave a sour taste - your "new" spyder self-combusting...
    Hope you get back on a spyder soon!

I had an rs, then st, then when f3 came out husband joined the three wheel brigade - less plastic = less heat and heat-related problems under all the plastic. It only took me a year to swap my st for an f3 - best decision ever.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Back in the day (50's 60's) we rode primarily British bikes which always seemed to leak gas from the petcock or the "tickler" right onto our feet. My feet would always be freezing from having gas dripped over them. I never remember anyone's bike actually breaking out into flames from this and I cannot explain why it never seemed to happen. Of course we didn't have items like the "afterburner" on those bikes so heat was not the problem it is today.

Spyder Garage

Default Heat Build up

Quote Originally Posted by rjtwospeed View Post
    My 2012 spyder caught fire while riding it in West Pembroke pines Florida on a beautiful Sunday afternoon at a traffic light I looked down to find flames coming up through the glove compartment cover and through the side panels thank God I was stopped and some people in cars helped me put it out now BRP says it's not there problem but after the gas cap was changed under the recall I could still smell gas fumes when I came to a stop I wonder how they can say it's not there problem and did / won't even look at the bike that's a load of crap I need a lawyer
    Did you get a lawyer?
    I am having serious heat build up on my 2013 RT LTD. Have had Master Cyl milt from heat , Brake line melt, Gas Boiling or bubbling, Discolored and warped panels from excess heat build up, I could go on but you get the idea. BRP basically has said you purchased the unit now deal with it. (purchased new) Have had all recalls and up grades preformed. The bike has been declared not safe to ride by the dealer.
    I also am going to seek out an attorney. Was wondering what was your resolution to your Spyder?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2013 RTs were the "Problem Child": when it came to heat complaints, and episodes of unexpected campfires occurring...
    Have you had the air scoops installed; as well as all of the underbody modifications? I haven't heard of anyone continuing to have problems; once all of the heat attenuation protocols had been completed.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default HEAT BUILDUP

I agree with Bob! Have the air scoops been installed and other heat modifications done?
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbutt View Post
    Did you get a lawyer?
    I am having serious heat build up on my 2013 RT LTD. Have had Master Cyl milt from heat , Brake line melt, Gas Boiling or bubbling, Discolored and warped panels from excess heat build up, I could go on but you get the idea. BRP basically has said you purchased the unit now deal with it. (purchased new) Have had all recalls and up grades preformed. The bike has been declared not safe to ride by the dealer.
    I also am going to seek out an attorney. Was wondering what was your resolution to your Spyder?

We have a 2013 RT-S and have had all of the recommended updates for the heat problem done and I can honestly say that it is actually not nearly as hot as I would expect from sitting on top of an enclosed engine. The only thing that is still hot is the area for the radiator exhaust by my right foot. I wear insulated work boots when we ride so even that is not much of a problem. We ride in hot weather with no more discomfort, maybe even quite a bit less from what some have said, with mesh jackets with body armor inserts and I wear a modular helmet, while my wife wears a 3/4 helmet.

The first thing I would check is to see if the air scoops under the mirrors have had a full size opening cut for them. It's possible they only have a small hole or maybe even none (forgot to do). That would have a major impact on the effectiveness of the mods.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the perspective from an owner of an affected bike!

Spyder Garage

Would any of these heat related problems be on my 2012 rt limited? Air scoops? What are they do I need them? I am planning on taking off bottom panel as per Lamonster recommended and I have installed right side grill and block off panel from a 2013? rt do I need to do anything else? Thanx this site is AWESOME!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your dealer can order the air scoop kit for you. I believe that they are (or at least were...) about 80 bucks. The replace the fixed air deflectors that are just below your mirrors, and they'll funnel more airflow down into the bodywork of your bike.
    The 2013s were affected by underbody heat issues, due to the new frame being brought out before the new triple engine was ready. There were a lot of obstructions that blocked the airflow that the twins needed.

Spyder Garage

Thanx again Mr Denman! So I ask my dealer for the air scoop kit? ..I also will do a search

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

please... I'm just a "Bob": to my friends!

If you search for something like:
    "2013 RT Recall"
    or
    "heat attenuation"
    or even
    "scoops"

It should get you close to what you're looking for.

Spyder Garage

OK Mr Bob I found the vents at 2wheelpros....can am dealer said he couldn't get them?..$101.46 shipped..jeez does my 2012 need them if I remove bottom panels?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As I recall: those inner panels had a fair amount of structural "usefulness" in them...
    Take a look at them, and see if you can create some openings in them; that doesn't make them useless...
    Let us know what you find, and take some pictures!

Spyder Garage

Sorry not inner panels I meant belly pans as several threads say remove them and keep off? sorry for the hijack I should of started new thread...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Go ahead and "Swiss-Cheese" those babies!

Spyder Garage

Default i wondered

what happened too the original poster , thought he was going sale parts off the cycle ... she was a " sudden camp fire for sure " was asking about the radio components ! { but lets see ----> cycle caught fire ---- he slips off a ladder in the rain , might just leave well enough alone

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    what happened too the original poster , thought he was going sale parts off the cycle ... she was a " sudden camp fire for sure " was asking about the radio components ! { but lets see ----> cycle caught fire ---- he slips off a ladder in the rain , might just leave well enough alone
    Only posted 7 times and hasn't been here since May 2018.I'd say he's gone and moved on.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

An old thread, I realize, but was surprised no one mentioned the list of potential reasons for a fire on 2012's and 13's; especially "senior members".

Three recalls happened in 2012 and 2013, and all involved the risk of fires.

BRP recalled about 8,200 Spyders because brake fluid leaks could cause fires.

In 2012 it recalled about 34,000 because fuel vapours could leak due to an ill-fitting gas cap.

It also recalled 9,600 because fuel vapours could exit a vent hose in the engine compartment.

Just thought I would mention these in case the question comes up again. Hopefully, it will not.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Default Heat Build up

My 2012 spyder caught fire while riding it in West Pembroke pines Florida on a beautiful Sunday afternoon at a traffic light I looked down to find flames coming up through the glove compartment cover and through the side panels thank God I was stopped and some people in cars helped me put it out now BRP says it's not there problem but after the gas cap was changed under the recall I could still smell gas fumes when I came to a stop I wonder how they can say it's not there problem and did / won't even look at the bike that's a load of crap I need a lawyer
    BRP is one of the worst as far as concerns about customer safety. I have a 2013 RT Limited with excess heat build up issues, here is a few of the issues: Panel are changing color and warping from excess heat, Brake line melted two times, Brake Master Cyl melted from excess heat, soft brake peddle due to brake fluid getting to hot, wiring is brittle from excess heat, gas is boiling at times. Brake lien melted and was pouring brake fluid on the exhaust and a fire was prevented because I threw water on it, smoke was coming from under the RT. Before you ask, Yes the Recall was done and double checked that it was done right. The dealer has advised that I do not ride the Spyder due to safety concerns. BRP is offering to do very little, mostly temporary thing that will not fix the problem. BRP first comment was "yes the 2013 has heat issues some worst than others. You purchased the unit so deal with it. Of course the best one was when I called BRP customer service and reported a burn on my ankle: BRP "Were you wearing tennis shoes?" Me No, work boots the lace up to the ankle the burn was above the boot, BRP "well you need to wear taller boots.
    I also am looking for a product liability Attorney. Just to be clear my dealer has bent over backward to try and resolve the issues but BRP just don't care about the customer, plus I feel they have put my life at risk by not fixing the problem. Just a bunch of crooks as I see it. Plus I have found that the BRP folks are very dis-honest

Spyder Garage

Just more of the same old story of BRP and their Customer service and their product's reliability. So sad.

Some folks would suggest you trade it in on a new one - at a different dealership. I suggest you unload yourself of it somehow and by a machine with a reputation for reliability.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbutt View Post
    BRP is one of the worst as far as concerns about customer safety. I have a 2013 RT Limited with excess heat build up issues, here is a few of the issues: Panel are changing color and warping from excess heat, Brake line melted two times, Brake Master Cyl melted from excess heat, soft brake peddle due to brake fluid getting to hot, wiring is brittle from excess heat, gas is boiling at times. Brake lien melted and was pouring brake fluid on the exhaust and a fire was prevented because I threw water on it, smoke was coming from under the RT. Before you ask, Yes the Recall was done and double checked that it was done right. The dealer has advised that I do not ride the Spyder due to safety concerns. BRP is offering to do very little, mostly temporary thing that will not fix the problem. BRP first comment was "yes the 2013 has heat issues some worst than others. You purchased the unit so deal with it. Of course the best one was when I called BRP customer service and reported a burn on my ankle: BRP "Were you wearing tennis shoes?" Me No, work boots the lace up to the ankle the burn was above the boot, BRP "well you need to wear taller boots.
    I also am looking for a product liability Attorney. Just to be clear my dealer has bent over backward to try and resolve the issues but BRP just don't care about the customer, plus I feel they have put my life at risk by not fixing the problem. Just a bunch of crooks as I see it. Plus I have found that the BRP folks are very dis-honest
    I would file a report with the NHTSA. They did a full investigation into BRP after the initial 13 recall proved ineffective. I have not heard of anyone else that is still having severe issues with their 13 after the 2nd recall work was performed.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

This really isn't an issue for BRP to take care of.... that is what your insurance company is for.
    Gas powered vechiles can and do catch on fire sometimes. It's not common on Spyders, but has happened to a few dozen that I'm aware of.
    The gas smell and fires *may* be related to over-filled gas tanks and liquid gas getting into the evap canister... which is why I removed the evap cans on my older Spyders.

Sorry for your troubles. I would have let it burn to the ground myself.

Hopefully your insurance company will take good care of you.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!