Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 spyder RT catches fire

My 2012 spyder caught fire while riding it in West Pembroke pines Florida on a beautiful Sunday afternoon at a traffic light I looked down to find flames coming up through the glove compartment cover and through the side panels thank God I was stopped and some people in cars helped me put it out now BRP says it's not there problem but after the gas cap was changed under the recall I could still smell gas fumes when I came to a stop I wonder how they can say it's not there problem and did / won't even look at the bike that's a load of crap I need a lawyer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sorry to hear,

any work done recently ? Good luck and keep us updated if you can.

Spyder Garage

Default Needs investigating....

Not all gas smells are related to the gas cap and not knowing much more it would be hard to venture a reason. You need to find a shop/dealer that is willing to investigate further. You are not on the model that had the major fire issues but not to say it could not happen. If you get someone to seek out the cause keep us up to date on what they find....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rjtwospeed View Post
    My 2012 spyder caught fire while riding it in West Pembroke pines Florida on a beautiful Sunday afternoon at a traffic light I looked down to find flames coming up through the glove compartment cover and through the side panels thank God I was stopped and some people in cars helped me put it out now BRP says it's not there problem but after the gas cap was changed under the recall I could still smell gas fumes when I came to a stop I wonder how they can say it's not there problem and did / won't even look at the bike that's a load of crap I need a lawyer
    I'd have gotten off the spyder, and walked far enough away and watched it burn. That's why I have insurance.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I'd have gotten off the spyder, and walked far enough away and watched it burn. That's why I have insurance.
    True. Not all calamities with a Spyder are BRP's fault. You do have insurance I hope?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's a six-year old bike... Stuff happens.
    But anyway!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default how many miles ?

also a 2012 , I don`t remember the smell of raw gas , but I do not have over 12,ooo on mine either . garage kept . so I wonder how many miles you had on your 2012 , and like Saluda , mentioned " any work preformed on the cycle in the resent days before your ride ? IMG_20171110_135435.jpgIMG_20171110_135448.jpg here is a view with skins off , if you look at the " 2nd " photo you will see the most common area I would look at --- fuel filter , and or the gas lines , which are positioned right under where the flames would be coming up from { as you described in your post } not seeing any thing in the 1st photo which would cause alarm , unless gas tank had rusted into a leak ? not saying this is what your cycle had problems with at all , just posting photo`s and a clue as to what the rest of us might be looking at while trying to under stand your situation ...
    Last edited by youngers; 12-05-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

I note this is your first post on the site.

Fires do happen. The 's are not prone to fires. There have been less than 20 reported that I know of. Over 100,000 built and sold. That information will not be helpful to you though--just a FYI on history.

Hopefully you had good insurance coverage. The mention of needing a lawyer will not be helpful to you from BRP. They will surely get theirs on the case.

Suspect is any recent work done. Hope you get a good settlement.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Really sorry to hear this.

As others have stated, you need to contact your insurance company for a comprehensive claim. IF there is any claim against BRP (doubtful) they will do so but in the mean time make you whole.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

6 year old bike
    Been smelling gas; kept riding, wanted BRP take responsibility, yet no indication of getting a dealer/repair shop to troubleshoot and repair.
    Cries "lawyer".

Seems totally legit.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Docster View Post
    6 year old bike
    Been smelling gas; kept riding, wanted BRP take responsibility, yet no indication of getting a dealer/repair shop to troubleshoot and repair.
    Cries "lawyer".

Seems totally legit.
    I thought so to:
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1Y5yZtBJDL.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 Spyder catches fire

Just so you all know I have returned to the Forum but I had an unfortunate accident on October 30th I broke my leg and shattered my ankle had to have surgery is called a Pilon fracture just have not had the energy or time to let y'all know what's going on I had a fire inspector do the inspection I'm waiting on the report and I'm going to go from there and just answer a few questions no there has been no work done it's a completely stock bike I bought it from a friend of mine who has all the service records that was done at the Can-Am dealer thank you for your time and your replies

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    also a 2012 , I don`t remember the smell of raw gas , but I do not have over 12,ooo on mine either . garage kept . so I wonder how many miles you had on your 2012 , and like Saluda , mentioned " any work preformed on the cycle in the resent days before your ride ? IMG_20171110_135435.jpgIMG_20171110_135448.jpg here is a view with skins off , if you look at the " 2nd " photo you will see the most common area I would look at --- fuel filter , and or the gas lines , which are positioned right under where the flames would be coming up from { as you described in your post } not seeing any thing in the 1st photo which would cause alarm , unless gas tank had rusted into a leak ? not saying this is what your cycle had problems with at all , just posting photo`s and a clue as to what the rest of us might be looking at while trying to under stand your situation ...
    It has 13400 miles on it and no work has been done and so I completely Stock Motorcycle been maintained by local Can-Am dealer no extra add-ons no aftermarket stuff thank you for your time

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Insurance

I read all the Posts and did not see anything about 'INSURANCE'. I HOPE YOU had insurance for the fire damage. So Sorry about this SAD Story.. Good Luck moving Forward.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    I read all the Posts and did not see anything about 'INSURANCE'. .....
    Hmm, musta been chopped liver they were talking about in posts 4, 5, 8, & 9!

But I do agree with others that lawyering up at the get go probably won't help anyone but BRP - besides, that's just ONE of the reasons that it's always a good move to have good motor vehicle insurance, cos the Ins Co's generally have the best in the business on retainer!

So Rjtwo, I really hope that your leg/ankle is healing up & the rehab isn't driving you nuts, those breaks can take forever to get over & then still keep on troubling you for years ; and also that you have good Insurance on the Spyder & that they are looking after you properly!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear that you got busted up...
    Heal quickly and completely!

Spyder Garage

Rjtwospeed, best wishes for a swift and complete recovery from your fracture.

Nevertheless, when we ride motorcycles, all safety designs and factors considered, we are still riding potential time bombs, i.e., gasoline tanks and fuel delivery systems mounted over hot internal combustion engines. If one smells gas and continues to ride and the bike catches fire, why is the manufacturer totally at fault?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The 998 (referring to the engine size) bikes were prone to heat issues that sometimes manifested itself in the gasoline in the tank boiling. This could obviously lead to a fire. Some models were worse than others.

The rear cylinder exhaust port is only a couple of inches away from the gas tank with the rear exhaust pipe only said distance away (being an "L" twin motor, as opposed to a "V" twin). The exhaust pipe is un-shielded and the thermal barrier on the underside of the gas tank is very minimal. Many owners who live in hot places and/or ride at extended slow speeds in hot weather have removed the underside plastic splash guards to allow better air flow in the engine compartment to eliminate excessive heat buildup. Some owners, including myself when I had my 2008 model, did more extensive heat mitigations.

HTH
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Rjtwospeed, best wishes for a swift and complete recovery from your fracture.
    s, when we ride motorcycles, all safety designs and factors considered, we are still riding potential time bombs, i.e., gasoline tanks and fuel delivery systems mounted over hot internal combustion engines. If one smells gas and continues to ride and the bike catches fire, why is the manufacturer totally at fault?
    I purchased the motorcycle 3 weeks prior and had ridden it three times before it caught fire the fuel tank was overfilled stop filling up at the first click off the gas cap is still in Immaculate condition with no fire around it whatsoever and the entire fire was beneath the side panels and in the charcoal canister area

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the well wishes for my recovery from my fracture just so you all know it wasn't due to a motorcycle accident it was due to a fall from about 6 feet off the ground slipped off an aluminum ladder in the rain

Spyder Garage

There are several possibilities. But my guess would be a saturated EVAP canister. That's why I recommend the Canister-Ectomy. Cheap, relatively easy, doesn't hurt a thing and eliminates any possibility of fire due to having it installed.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-07-2018 at 11:13 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the well wishes for my recovery from my fracture just so you all know it wasn't due to a motorcycle accident it was due to a fall from about 6 feet off the ground slipped off an aluminum ladder in the rain
    that even hurts to hear about. Good luck on your recovery. Hope it leaves no evil aftereffects.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

so when your Spyder caught fire you were riding with a shattered ankle??

Spyder Garage

Sorry about your accident. Good luck on a speedy recovery. Maybe by the time you can ride again the bike issue will be fixed and you will be well and ready to get out in the fresh air and sunshine. Happy trails and gods speed.