Spyder Garage

Default Extended warranty for FREE

On July 28th 2012 I bought my first Can Am Spyder RT Limited during the write up of the sales agreement the sales guy offered me an Extended warranty, I never purchase extended warranties so I said ....no thanks...he then tells me " How about if I get all of your money that you pay me today for the extended warranty back to you at the end of the 5 year contract" I looked up at him and said now you have my interest. He goes ahead and explains that if I never use the extended contact during the 5 years he will guarantee I get my money back. I was a little concerned as I had never heard of this before, I sat and thought about this and came to the conclusion that wow this is like having a catastrophic insurance for my extended warranty. I questioned him some more as I thought this could not be possible due to it being like a FREE warranty, he explained that if I had a problem with the Can Am and it would only cost say around $400 I should not use the extended warrant and rather pay for the repair, this would allow me at the end of the 5 years to get all of my money back, but if I had say a major repair say the transmission goes out or some expensive repair for say $3000 I should then use the extended warranty to pay for that.
    The extended warranty was not a BRP BEST warranty it was through a company named INTERSTATE it was for 60 months and it cost $1683.00 the insurance was through a company named " THE TORQUE GROUP"
    On Sat. I got my check in the mail for the full amount of $1683.00 from the Torque group .....so this was a FREE EXTENDED WARRANTY
    I was fortunate not to have any minor or major repairs for the 5 years I owned the 2012 RT as most of the problems I had which were all minor was covered by the 2 year BRP warranty.
    I did take out a Performance plus pre-paid Maintenance plan for 3 years with the Dealership which I believe helped me keep my RT in perfect working condition.
    The only frustrating part of this was the Torque group told me when I submitted my refund request on July 28th 2017 that the refund could take up to a 120 days to get my refund check and of course it did, they made me wait the full 120 days no actually 125 days for me to get my check.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

I've always said "nothing in life is free", but I guess I was wrong. Good for you!
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default WOW

WOW. Just wow!
    Good work. And congrats.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

While the extended contract might have been a good deal it wasn't free. They had free use of your premium money for five years. Think of what that might have earned had it been used to buy just one share of Apple or Google (which is what they probably used it for)?

Spyder Garage

This is true of [some?] extended warranties on cars, too. I got money back on previous car.
    ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
    2012 Spyder RS

Spyder Garage

Very interesting. "Slick," the salesman got something. The commission for sure.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Nice,first I heard of that one.

Spyder Garage

Default Nice...

You may have lost the interest you could have made but you did not lose your initial investment and did enjou the secure feeling that you were covered in the event of a major problem...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That's great that things didn't fall thru on the money back. I did the same thing on an extended warranty on an RV & the company guaranteeing payback went bankrupt. And I had work done that could have been paid for by the warranty. Learned my lesson.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Come to think of it...

Had you not given them your money to hold for you, you would have blown it on farkles that net you nothing...you made out like a bandit..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    I've always said "nothing in life is free", but I guess I was wrong. Good for you!
    Well, it wasn't totally free. He lost out on the 0.5% interest he could have earned leaving the money in the bank!!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Good deal

Never heard about that before.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Well, it wasn't totally free. He lost out on the 0.5% interest he could have earned leaving the money in the bank!!
    Anyone who puts money in a bank to earn interest is a fool. I will bet that warranty company invested his premiums in other ways and earned a pretty penny over that five year period. I know I have.

Spyder Garage

Do you still have the link to the refund request

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chaser666 View Post
    Do you still have the link to the refund request
    Not sure of exactly what you want but I still have all the info about the company and the refund. The extended warranty company is Interstate Starsport and the refund company is the Torque group and the info I think you are asking about is as follows: Refund requests for the Torque Group VSC refund agreement must be mailed to- VSC Refund Request 41 W Division St Suite C Evansville IN 47710. Hope that is what you are asking about. If you need more info I will do my best to help you.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White