Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default An Introduction & Question

Hello everyone
    My name is Ron and my handle is Chappie and I live in Southwest Washington State. . I do not yet own a Spyder but plan on buying an RT some time this Winter. I am 64 years old and I have ridden motorcycles all my life, the last 20 years on Goldwings. My current ride is a Yellow 2010. My wife and I have come to the conclusion that three wheels are the logical progression for us for all the reasons most of you already know and a Spyder would be a good fit. I have also been a mechanic all my life (very large engines in marine applications) and those skills may come in handy too!
    I have been reading the Spyderlovers forum and have gained a lot of insight and knowledge. I have one question for the moment. We have wired helmets with J&M headsets with the Honda system. It is also the way we communicate with each other. Is there a way to adapt this system to a newer 2015-2017 RT? I realize this is probably ancient technology but it works for us. Also if we had to go the Bluetooth way how does the radio get to the headsets without going through the Spyder's speaker system? I also plan on installing an XM radio and would obviously like it tied into this system.
    Thank You in advance for a very friendly & knowledgable site!
    Ron

Spyder Garage

Default WELCOME!

Even though I have been a member here for a couple of years, we just got our first Spyder in October. Like you, I am looking to the Spyder to extend my motorcycle experiences. I am 63 and have been riding bikes since 1968. I progressed up through the sizes starting with a 1964 Honda 90; eventually ended up on a BMW R75/6 in 1977. Had to sell that bike in the fall of 1980 to pay off some medical bills and couldn't afford another one until April of 2000. I've kind of gone bat-crap crazy catching up on mileage since then with over 330K the past 17 years on a variety of BMW oilheads. I'm planning on continuing with the two-wheelers for as long as my body will let me. The Spyder (2014 RT) was purchased primarily for my wife so we could ride our own machines. Unfortunately, her upper body strength is not sufficient for her to handle it for more than about 40 minutes at a time. That's OK though as it will serve us well as a two-up machine and her 40 minutes at the helm from time to time gives me a chance to relax and look around a little.

welcome to the site.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't help with your comm questions, but I want to say:
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

I'm not sure about adapting the hard wire headsets to the RT. I can tell you there are bluetooth adapters for the radio on the spyder to broadcast to bluetooth headsets. Once you get used to the wireless headsets you won't want to go back. My wife and I ride different bikes and we really like the bike to bike coms. We also like different styles of music and listen to that from our phones. We are currently using the SENA 20s headsets.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Can't answer your question as the wife and I use the Uclear system for bike to bike communication. We both have RT limited's and belong to a great Spyder Club based in the Vancouver-Portland area.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Welcome Chappie from Central Washington, the dry side.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, Wecome & Welcome

From another Spyder lover on the dry side of WA State. Unfortunately I can't help with your questions. But I can tell you the Spyder is the best machine out there...IMHO.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome....

Not sure on the question of the sound /comm system. You may find it better to go with the new bluetooth systems as they offer many advantages. We have the Cardo Scala G9 which is not the newest but use it mostly for the intercomm when ryding two up and the Mp3 when ryding solo. Though you can listen to your own music it also will pair with the GPS, phone and 9 other ryders within range and has FM radio. There are quite a few systems out there now and we may upgrade to the one ZOOZMC.com is offering....Hope you get your ryde soon and get out there to enjoy these amazing machines...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies! I'm not apposed to Bluetooth I was just hoping there was a setting on the Spyder's audio system to broadcast to Bluetooth without the sound blasting through the speakers on the bike. Also an accommodation for an an "Aux In" so that I could install my portable XM radio.
    Thanks again for the warm welcomes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome !

Spyder Garage

Welcome! I'm going to skate on thin ice a bit and there are others who know a lot more about the Spyder RT audio system than I, but here goes. I also recommend going to Bluetooth and get rid of the wires; you won't be disappointed. I'll leave the brand decision to you. There is an audio setting that enables you to turn off the Spyder's speakers so your music, GPS turn instructions, radio volume, etc. go only to your headset(s). If you want to listen to the Spyder's AM/FM radio with Bluetooth there is a dongle you must use and pair it with your headsets. This dongle is a Sena product if you get from a Can-Am dealer, from Sena directly or from Motorcycle Dave, a SL sponsor. I don't know about other brands of dongles. There is an Aux In socket in the rear trunk that, I assume, can be used to connect your portable XM radio to the Spyder but am not certain as my 2014 owner's manual leads one to believe XM appears as an audio option only if it's hardwired. Others probably know a way to do it without paying for BRP's pricey XM radio. Good luck!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chappie View Post
    Hello everyone
    My name is Ron and my handle is Chappie and I live in Southwest Washington State. . I do not yet own a Spyder but plan on buying an RT some time this Winter. I am 64 years old and I have ridden motorcycles all my life, the last 20 years on Goldwings. My current ride is a Yellow 2010. My wife and I have come to the conclusion that three wheels are the logical progression for us for all the reasons most of you already know and a Spyder would be a good fit. I have also been a mechanic all my life (very large engines in marine applications) and those skills may come in handy too!
    I have been reading the Spyderlovers forum and have gained a lot of insight and knowledge. I have one question for the moment. We have wired helmets with J&M headsets with the Honda system. It is also the way we communicate with each other. Is there a way to adapt this system to a newer 2015-2017 RT? I realize this is probably ancient technology but it works for us. Also if we had to go the Bluetooth way how does the radio get to the headsets without going through the Spyder's speaker system? I also plan on installing an XM radio and would obviously like it tied into this system.
    Thank You in advance for a very friendly & knowledgable site!
    Ron
    On the Spyder the plugs for the headsets and the comm unit come as part of the CB package which is a dealer added option from BRP. Purchase and installation are on a par with the Goldwing,expensive. The CB is also reported to not work very well.
    The Satellite radio is also a dealer added option and plays thru the radio.
    Bluetoothing the radio to the helmets is easy enough. Go to motorcycledave.com (he is a sponsor of this site) and buy a Sena sm10. This attaches to your entertainment unit and converts its audio signal to bluetooth. It comes from Dave with the necessary wires. The same unit is available from BRP but for more money and the wiring is separate. For more money. I use the Sena SMH10 in our helmets which has a built in intercom. There is also a procedure that will allow you to turn off the Spyder speakers leaving you only the headsets but giving you that now is meaningless until you have a Spyder and can see what I am talking about.

Since you are a mechanic all of the above options can be added by yourself at considerable savings and you will probably do a better job. There are many videos and explanations here,on You Tube and in the owners manual on how to get underneath the plastic and getting various jobs done. Also a lot of troubleshooting help.
    Good luck on your purchase,welcome to Spyderlovers, enjoy the ride. I came from 50 years on two wheels and 4 years on a Goldwing Trike and also do my own service. I love my Spyder.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 12-05-2017 at 07:46 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Chappie, to the spyder web. I can't answer your questions but you've gotten several good suggestions all ready. Welcome again, Dale
    Last edited by d.o.spyder-rts; 12-04-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Re: the XM radio. I just installed mine and rather than try to find an adapter to hard-wire it into the audio system I used the FM feature of the radio. Yours might have that. It works really well for me. Basically, the XM transmits the signal via one of the FM radio channels to the Spyder's radio. No bluetooth, no wires. Works well and since the Spyder's radio has crappy reception anyway, you're not losing much functionality.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Answered my questions perfectly! Sounds very do-able!
    Really looking forward to our new adventure. I am in the process of looking at new or slightly used units and also will probably sell the Wing and just adapt to the different experience.
    Thanks Everybody.
    Ron

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome...

...Chappie to the SpyderLovers forum. We switched from 2 wheels to three 2 years ago and I am really happy with our Spyder RT. From Northern Indiana -

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

Welcome from a Spyder rider his facing his 73rd year. Decided to add a Spyder to the fleet after having my left hip replaced a few years back. Not having to worry about toppling over if I become inattentive is a good thing. It didn't take long before my lovely wife decided she deserved a Spyder too. Great decision because we now ride much more than we ever did before Spydering.

Regarding your wired intercom set, it strikes me it would be best to say, "thanks for your service" and retire it. Bluetooth wireless communications are far and away superior. We have both Scala Cardo and Sena systems and have been pleased with both. It really improves the enjoyment of rides when able to talk with one another either on the same Spyder or bike to bike. And, depending on the set you select, you can have FM radio, and phone and GPS connectivity. The holiday season is a pretty good time to consider getting a "dual pack" (a set of two communicators paired at the factory) as many online merchants are offering nice discounts.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Answered my questions perfectly! Sounds very do-able!
    Really looking forward to our new adventure. I am in the process of looking at new or slightly used units and also will probably sell the Wing and just adapt to the different experience.
    Thanks Everybody.
    Ron
    If you're close to Vancouver, go see the folks at Pro Caliber. They are really nice people.

Spyder Garage

to the site. Looks like they have most of the comm questions answered.

When you take the plunge, please post some pictures.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Depending on what year Spyder you get might make a difference. The new 2018's will have bluetooth built in and I'm pretty sure you will have to get BT headsets. I have an ST-L and had to get the Sena SM10 BT adapter for the radio and SR10 for CB. I use Uclear headsets and the new AMP Plus/Pro have even greater sound. My J&M stuff went with the Goldwing. You might check with J&M to see if they have anything to adapt the Ol' headsets to BT.

The 2017 and earlier Spyders will need the SM10 installed. (although there are alternate BT configurations) The BT headsets can communicate with each other as well as multiple other devices easily. Paring to smartphone, GPS, FRS Radio etc. So basically you can get BT headsets and with a smartphone, you can have music without needing a radio. I used a Midland handheld CB with wired PTT button for the Sena adapter. Worked great.

Good Luck
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Yes all correct. I tool Paul's advice and talked with Motorcycle Dave and will get from him the SM10 dongle & probably the 10S headsets. There is also a way to install the XM radio easily. Very simple! Yes I will "thank the old stuff for their service" and send them away with the Wing! I still need to get a Spyder to attach them to. I will definitely add pics when the new ride arrives home. Going to get the wing on Craigslist probably tomorrow.
    Thanks everyone again for all the help.
    Ron

Spyder Garage

Can't answer your question as I have never turned on the radio- LOL. Prefer listening to the bike. Welcome, great part of the country you live in.

Spyder Garage

Welcome, ride safe, ride often, post up and then add pictures of your new ride when you get it! Good luck with the helmet issue. My wife and I use the Bluetooth so we can talk trike to trike (she has a Spyder also).

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default XM

Thanks for the replies! I'm not apposed to Bluetooth I was just hoping there was a setting on the Spyder's audio system to broadcast to Bluetooth without the sound blasting through the speakers on the bike. Also an accommodation for an an "Aux In" so that I could install my portable XM radio.
    Thanks again for the warm welcomes.
    ............ I also went with an after-market XM, I have mine in the Glove box, with a SMALLER size plug into a 12v. recept. on my dash ..... I put the antennae on top of the rear trunk above the Pass. backrest .... I have it on small sheet metal plate that increases the re-caption a bit ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Probably not...

In order to get the BRP wired headset you need the CB option (I'm 80% sure). The holes are there to mount the round jacks, but there will no amplifier. As for the wireless, SENA does make a kit (I want to say 20 with a letter, like 20s ??) that mounts in the trunk and connects to the existing wires (on newer model RTs). It connects to your BT helmets and a wired input like a phone.

There is the BRP BT kit that does connect to everything. It is not hard to install, I totally missed the rubber cap on the BRP radio and had to ask for help here. In my case it presented noticeable lag between helmets when riding two up - I could hear my wife behind me, then a split later the voice came into my helmet. Couldn't understand anything. But I now have a new SENA setup (I'd get from Motorcycle Dave, a sponsor here - excellent service!). I haven't had a chance to try it out again.

What I currently do works very well - without spending a fortune on the BRP XM Radio kit. On the newer RT's (I have an RT-S), the CB audio cable is wired tied on the right side near the gas tank. I got an extension cord from Amazon (6') and routed up to my XGrip on the handle bars for my iPhone (get one from Pierre at http://canamspyderaccessories.com/ replaces one of your 4 bolts. Then plug your phone in. I run the XM app or Amazon Prime Music, and just use simple helmet to helmet BT. The music streams out of the radio. Handy for GPS too, as the phone turns down the music to report GPS stuff.

Sure the Spyder XM kit is nice, but $$. For $5 my extension cable and phone work just as well

Supposedly the BRP $250 BT kit would connect my phone and helmets together via BT, but to be honest with HtoH comms, you can pair your phone too. Tap the button to talk to each other, tap again to listen to your phones music/gps/etc.) That way my wife can chit chat with our daughter while out on the road, then listen to her music. I can have XM and GPS in my helmet from my phone.

EDIT: We got our helmets with built in bluetooth on sale from Cycle Gear for $250. They have a store near me. Basic BT, not the one that connect to like 6 other devices with phone and all that. The more expensive BT SENA comms from what they told me can pair to phones, GPS, etc. and prioritize which one comes out, shares the phone call between both helmets, washes the dishes, etc. But I'm too cheap for all that

Just my thoughts!
    Steve
    Last edited by stevencovert; 12-05-2017 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Added CycleGear