Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lifting my RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
    That is sweet. Found the U.S. company that sells them. Driving distance for me!https://www.lifts-and-stands.com/pro...izer-big-blue/
    $715 for the Spyder version.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up For your consideration

The part the jack was touching were panels on the bottom and underneath the bike, not side panels. I may not have been real clear on that.

I want to lift the whole bike. I am thinking of getting BajaRon's front spring adjusters so I need to get the tension off of the wheels. My floor jacks won't get to the frame without hitting tupperware. I may be picking the wrong jacking point. I would like to be able to use my motorcycle jack instead. I will try the spacer suggestion and see how that works.
    suggestions: # 1 Pull the front wheels up on 2x6 boards cut on a 45% angle on the end.
    # 2 Use your service jack to lift up the front with a block of wood protecting the frame.
    # 3 make two small wooden boxes out of 2x6 boards to support the weight of the wheels and suspension while the shocks are off.

It works for me. Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Smile Think again

I can't do it with the supension adjust switch?
    No. The engine has to be running and it has to be in gear for the compressor to activate.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    No. The engine has to be running and it has to be in gear for the compressor to activate.
    Then the answer is yes, no?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    So it bleeds down after the engine has been shut off?
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

Default Not necesssarily

So it bleeds down after the engine has been shut off?
    If it is leaking down then something is wrong.

Spyder Garage

I added air to my rear air suspension using the schrader valve under the seat and the Lamonster approved digital cordless air pump set to 50lbs.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default One question

Hi there,

Is it easy to use this lift? What model do you have?

Thanks for your response in advance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BriteSpydie View Post
    Hi there,

Is it easy to use this lift? What model do you have?

Thanks for your response in advance.

Which Lift are you referring to? The OP's, the HF, or the Big Blue?
    I have the Harbor Freight version,
    used it many times for Oil Changes, Sway bar install, wheel and tire changes, frunk removal, and it's worked well. I do have jack stands under the front wheels and rear swing arm. Sometimes have a car ramp with blocks under the rear tire when I get it up really high.

Here's how I got the extra height to install my BajaRon Bar

Even without the Jackstands and Tire Ramp in at this point, the Spyder was very stable on the jack, though I wouldn't work on it
    without at least three other fixed supports like the jack stands and ramp.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Different models, different set ups different jacks. I have the craftsman old version with the 2" removable extensions. I think they later eliminated them but made the lift taller. Same model from harbor freight did not have the extensions. Mine fit without the extensions but after relocating the front shock it fits with the extensions. In any case the 2x6's is an easy solution. Now to do the shock adjusters you can do it with a floor jack...
    harbor freight jack.jpg
    I took advantage of a coupon and bought the Harbor Freight knock-off of the Sears one. Works great, nice and lightweight too.
    Roadkrome luggage rack
    Shad SH45 hard case
    Bajaron anti-sway bar and Heim links
    Mirror extensions
    Spyderpops air dam foam kit
    Rivco handlebar risers (purchased and on my mods to do list)

"A damn good feeling to run these roads" - Tyler Childers
    "I close my eyes, it was all so clear, it was all right then, it was all right there" - Tyler Childers
    "Woke up today and decided to kill my ego, it ain't ever done me no good no how" - Sturgill Simpson
    www.squanchkava.com

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Which Lift are you referring to? The OP's, the HF, or the Big Blue?
    I have the Harbor Freight version,
    used it many times for Oil Changes, Sway bar install, wheel and tire changes, frunk removal, and it's worked well. I do have jack stands under the front wheels and rear swing arm. Sometimes have a car ramp with blocks under the rear tire when I get it up really high.

Here's how I got the extra height to install my BajaRon Bar

Even without the Jackstands and Tire Ramp in at this point, the Spyder was very stable on the jack, though I wouldn't work on it
    without at least three other fixed supports like the jack stands and ramp.
    Good way to go to get extra lift. Beats the way I did it, putting the jack on top of a pallet!

On 2 blocks.jpg
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 02-13-2018 at 03:50 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Here is my post from another thread on the subject. See post # 3.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...95#post1333695

Spyder Garage

George, just wondering are the rails on your Powerbuilt jack short enough to not support the Spyder RT's central and side angled tubes when lifting. or Why did you feel you needed to add the extra adapter to the lift when lifting the Spyder? The HF jack I got has 14 inch rails that easily support the Spyder RTL. Just wondering.

EDIT, Sorry I was looking at Post 4, now I relooked at post #3 and see how that helped with your normal type floor jack versus having to purchase a Motorcycle lift.
    Last edited by DGoebel; 02-14-2018 at 10:47 PM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Hitch Point

Everyone

I have a pair of car ramps will be using to get the front end up. I am just wondering if I could use the hitch to lift the rear end until i can put some jack stands , would i be able to support the rear of the bike using my jack stands on each side of the hitch. I hope I am not be too confusing for everyone here. Does the bike have to be level or as near to as possible to do the oil change etc. Thanks guys

Dave

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fire34 View Post
    Everyone

I have a pair of car ramps will be using to get the front end up. I am just wondering if I could use the hitch to lift the rear end until i can put some jack stands , would i be able to support the rear of the bike using my jack stands on each side of the hitch. I hope I am not be too confusing for everyone here. Does the bike have to be level or as near to as possible to do the oil change etc. Thanks guys

Dave
    I use a Hi-Lift jack to raise the back end of my Spyder lifting by the hitch but then set the rear wheel down on blocks with at least some of the weight of the Spyder on it. If I'm changing the rear tire or aligning the belt then I use an ATV jack (like the ones others have shown and used) to lift it up with the front wheels on ramps or blocks. I usually set the ramps behind the front wheels and back the Spyder up on them so the length of the ramp doesn't interfere with things like changing oil. One problem with ramps is they tend to slide when you drive the Spyder up on them so you have to hold them in place some way.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

For quick and easy lifting, I have this harbor freight aluminum jack. A little small for most auto/truck work, but great for the Spyder. It got the back wheel off the ground, no problem.Aluminum Jack.PNG
    2013 RT , Copper

Spyder Garage

IMG_20190803_195225.jpg

2x6's under front tires works.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just realized that the interlocking plastic blocks and ramp I use to level my travel trailer at the campsite would be ideal for this application also.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have rolled her up on 2x6s or added air to the suspension (up tp 70 lbs) and that works to get the jack under. I have an old craftsman red jack. I tried me the hf one since it lifts higher but it wasn.t as stable
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

The part the jack was touching were panels on the bottom and underneath the bike, not side panels. I may not have been real clear on that.

I want to lift the whole bike. I am thinking of getting BajaRon's front spring adjusters so I need to get the tension off of the wheels. My floor jacks won't get to the frame without hitting tupperware. I may be picking the wrong jacking point. I would like to be able to use my motorcycle jack instead. I will try the spacer suggestion and see how that works.
    I just installed Baja Ron's Shock Adjusters on my RTS. Couldn't get to top nut on shock so I took the frunk off. I have a motorcycle lift and raised it from the front end, put cement blocks with 2 x 6 boards on top of blocks under the tires. Jack stands under the A-arms. Be sure to rent the spring compressors when you order the BJSAs. I'm also installing skid plates under the frunk while it's off, Cleaned the radiator fins and cleaned up some of the wiring. All this has taken me about two weeks cuz I can only work out in this 90-100° heat for a few hours at a time. I should have it bank together and on the ground tomorrow. I'll be great to be out buzzing around town again. I really miss riding my "Mistress".
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black