Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifting my RT

Spyder Garage

Default Lifting my RT

I have a Craftsman motorcycle lift. I was going to try it our on my Spyder yesterday, but...It is just a little too tall when it is all the way down. I tried several different angles, but the tupperware on the bottom gets in the way. I looked at a couple of pictures on the forum on placement, but couldn't get it there. Do you have to remove the panels underneath to be able to use it? Or, am I missing something?
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

Default Get an extra 1 1/2 clearance by running the front wheels up on some short 2X6 boards

If your jack is a little too high, just cut some bevels on a 2 x 6 board and run the front wheels up on to get started.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
    I have a Craftsman motorcycle lift. I was going to try it our on my Spyder yesterday, but...It is just a little too tall when it is all the way down. I tried several different angles, but the tupperware on the bottom gets in the way. I looked at a couple of pictures on the forum on placement, but couldn't get it there. Do you have to remove the panels underneath to be able to use it? Or, am I missing something?
    There's no body panels in the way if you're lifting it by the frame. Are you trying to get the whole bike off the ground or what?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    There's no body panels in the way if you're lifting it by the frame. Are you trying to get the whole bike off the ground or what?
    A couple of options; a) get some cheapo car ramps to get the front end up in the air first; this will provide enough clearance for your m/c lift (it's also more stable that way) or b) get an inexpensive floor jack with a low clearance to lift the frame.

Both are available real cheap from Harbor Freight.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The part the jack was touching were panels on the bottom and underneath the bike, not side panels. I may not have been real clear on that.

I want to lift the whole bike. I am thinking of getting BajaRon's front spring adjusters so I need to get the tension off of the wheels. My floor jacks won't get to the frame without hitting tupperware. I may be picking the wrong jacking point. I would like to be able to use my motorcycle jack instead. I will try the spacer suggestion and see how that works.
    Last edited by mark4Jesus; 12-03-2017 at 05:22 PM.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Pedal Box

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I want to lift the whole bike. I am thinking of getting BajaRon's front spring adjusters so I need to get the tension off of the wheels. My floor jacks won't get to the frame without hitting tupperware. I may be picking the wrong jacking point. I would like to be able to use my motorcycle jack instead. I will try the spacer suggestion and see how that works.
    The only lifting point for the whole bike is the center frame of the bike about where the floorboards are on the RT. It will be fairly unstable though, since the frame itself is only about 4" wide.

Cognac on floor jack.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The only lifting point for the whole bike is the center frame of the bike about where the floorboards are on the RT. It will be fairly unstable though, since the frame itself is only about 4" wide.

Cognac on floor jack.jpg
    My motorcycle jack has two rails. I can see what you mean if using a regular floor jack. I saw a post about placement for the motorcycle jacks, which looked like it would be stable.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Pedal Box

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My motorcycle jack has two rails. I can see what you mean if using a regular floor jack. I saw a post about placement for the motorcycle jacks, which looked like it would be stable.
    Yes, I have a motorcycle jack also, which has the two rails. That will give you more stability front and back but not side to side because of the narrow frame member.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default " only once"

When I taught auto shop for a few years I explained to the students that a car only falls on you once. Yes there are videos of cars shifting and falling off lifts.

Thus---- I would NEVER work under my using a jack. Always sturdy stands in front and a large section of a glue lam beam on the back wheel.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    When I taught auto shop for a few years I explained to the students that a car only falls on you once. Yes there are videos of cars shifting and falling off lifts.

Thus---- I would NEVER work under my using a jack. Always sturdy stands in front and a large section of a glue lam beam on the back wheel.

Lew L
    I don't get under riding mowers that are jacked up. Friend of mine had one fall on him. No serious injury, God watched over him on that one. He won't ever do it again!
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Pedal Box

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't get under riding mowers that are jacked up. Friend of mine had one fall on him. No serious injury, God watched over him on that one. He won't ever do it again!
    I guess it wasn't running at the time...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I guess it wasn't running at the time...
    We gotta have laugh response button! Just thank and like are too limited!

Good guess!
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Pedal Box

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We gotta have laugh response button! Just thank and like are too limited! Good guess!
    That's what these guys are for
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

That's what these guys are for
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Pedal Box

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There you go!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Varies.....

Different models, different set ups different jacks. I have the craftsman old version with the 2" removable extensions. I think they later eliminated them but made the lift taller. Same model from harbor freight did not have the extensions. Mine fit without the extensions but after relocating the front shock it fits with the extensions. In any case the 2x6's is an easy solution. Now to do the shock adjusters you can do it with a floor jack...
    20150630_123305.jpg
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Mark4Jesus, I originally had this issue with my HF jack that was supposed to be lower even. Checked my rear shock airbag pressure, it was a 30lbs. Upped it to 50lbs and the Spyder lifted enough that the HF jack slide under the Spyder just fine. I lined the rearward rail of the jack up with the front floorboard attachment point, slid the jack under and made sure the rear rail was on the center frame square tube and the Spyder RT would lift and seem very stable. But as others have said, anytime I was gonna stick my head under, the jackstands went under the rear shock mount, and each lower A Arn, as close as I could get them to the front tires.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Mark4Jesus, I originally had this issue with my HF jack that was supposed to be lower even. Checked my rear shock airbag pressure, it was a 30lbs. Upped it to 50lbs and the Spyder lifted enough that the HF jack slide under the Spyder just fine. I lined the rearward rail of the jack up with the front floorboard attachment point, slid the jack under and made sure the rear rail was on the center frame square tube and the Spyder RT would lift and seem very stable. But as others have said, anytime I was gonna stick my head under, the jackstands went under the rear shock mount, and each lower A Arn, as close as I could get them to the front tires.
    Didn't think about the rear shock! I believe I have it set on lower setting. I will adjust it to the highest setting and see what happens.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Pedal Box

Spyder Garage

Default Pitbull lift

I have a Pittbull unit. Lifts 26 inches and is heavy duty. Nice to be able to roll the bike around when lifted. Go to their site here https://pitbullmotorcyclelifts.com/

Spyder Garage

Did you by chance pump up the rear suspension? Sometimes that'll give ya just enough clearance. Otherwise drive it up on three pieces of 2x6, one for each tire of course. Then you'll be good to go. But, please put jack stands under it and let the weight down onto the stands to work on it. Also notice as you let it down that there is some side to side shift as the jack goes down...since the lift table picks up at somewhat of an angle. Keep a close eye on the rear especially since the lower shock mount isn't very wide. It's not worth the risk of having 1100 lbs on ya.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    Did you by chance pump up the rear suspension? Sometimes that'll give ya just enough clearance. Otherwise drive it up on three pieces of 2x6, one for each tire of course. Then you'll be good to go. But, please put jack stands under it and let the weight down onto the stands to work on it. Also notice as you let it down that there is some side to side shift as the jack goes down...since the lift table picks up at somewhat of an angle. Keep a close eye on the rear especially since the lower shock mount isn't very wide. It's not worth the risk of having 1100 lbs on ya.
    No, I did not have the rear pumped up, I am going to check that and see, thanks.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Pedal Box

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No, I did not have the rear pumped up, I am going to check that and see, thanks.
    Best to pump it up manually, carefully. There's a Schrader valve under the seat.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Best to pump it up manually, carefully. There's a Schrader valve under the seat.
    I can't do it with the supension adjust switch?
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Pedal Box

Spyder Garage

I hate the robot voice. Really like the lift. I want one.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Check out this lift! No way I would lift my spyder that high!!!!

That is sweet. Found the U.S. company that sells them. Driving distance for me!

https://www.lifts-and-stands.com/pro...izer-big-blue/
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Pedal Box