Spyder Garage

Default Rode with some Harley riders today

Had a good 270 mile ride on my 08 GS. First tank got 38 miles per gallon. Never got this much. Broke away from them and now back to 28 MPG like I usually get. Of course I run the curves pretty hard. None of them could keep up. I do have a couple buddies that rides Harleys and they know how to run the curves. I know some Harley's will bottom out quicker than others. But had a great ride. Waiting on some brackets for the shocks and will see how the do in the curve once I get them installed. Time for a oil change and back riding with weather permits. Been some great weather down here in the south.
    David

Spyder Garage

Default Awesome...!!

Sounds like you had a great day... Always nice to meet up with friends even if they have to catch up....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Sounds like you had a great day... Always nice to meet up with friends even if they have to catch up....
    Not all, but most Harley riders don't ride like me and my riding buddy that also rides a 08 GS. I use to run hard when I was riding 2 wheels. Have slowed down some, but love the adrenaline rush.
    David

Spyder Garage

Most (not all), of the Harley guys I know refuse to believe in counter-steering and rely solely on body English to lean into turns. The ones who do that will never be able to keep up with anyone other than the guys doing the same thing. They are also the guys who might lean more trying to keep up with people who know how to ride; be careful you don't push them so hard they slide off the road after dragging hard parts on the pavement.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    Most (not all), of the Harley guys I know refuse to believe in counter-steering and rely solely on body English to lean into turns
    Reminds me of a saying I saw at a motorcycle safety conference a year or two ago, "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that motorcycle could do"

Proper training coupled with self-acceptance to trust in the riding techniques would benefit our riding community greatly. Also, the training shouldn't stop after the BRC, encourage everyone to take advantage of the continuing education courses that are available; on-line and on-cycle.
    Last edited by 3 Wheel Rider; 12-03-2017 at 08:19 AM.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SLIDING

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    Most (not all), of the Harley guys I know refuse to believe in counter-steering and rely solely on body English to lean into turns. The ones who do that will never be able to keep up with anyone other than the guys doing the same thing. They are also the guys who might lean more trying to keep up with people who know how to ride; be careful you don't push them so hard they slide off the road after dragging hard parts on the pavement.
    .....On the sliding thing ,.... an over-inflated tire will slide much sooner than one properly inflated according to Weight of the vehicle, but this is according to Real science ....not Butt science ............ Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Rider View Post
    Reminds me of a saying I saw at a motorcycle safety conference a year or two ago, "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that motorcycle could do" Proper training coupled with self-acceptance to trust in the riding techniques would benefit our riding community greatly. Also, the training shouldn't stop after the BRC, encourage everyone to take advantage of the continuing education courses that are available; on-line and on-cycle.
    But that wouldn't be macho. Contributes to the high fatality rate in H-D riders around here I'm sure.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I do a weekly group luncheon ryde with mostly Harleys. I typically get about 2-3mpg better that day... We 3-wheelers are at the back, and I've sort of learned to only use about 3/4 throttle on take-offs, so I don't have to stomp the brake when I catch up to them.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    I do a weekly group luncheon ryde with mostly Harleys. I typically get about 2-3mpg better that day... We 3-wheelers are at the back, and I've sort of learned to only use about 3/4 throttle on take-offs, so I don't have to stomp the brake when I catch up to them.
    That would be a deal-killer for me. No way I'm riding behind a bunch of H-Ds.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting about your ride. That 38 mpg is impressive.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .....On the sliding thing ,.... an over-inflated tire will slide much sooner than one properly inflated according to Weight of the vehicle, but this is according to Real science ....not Butt science ............ Mike
    Since lowering my tire pressure on front and back it handles a lot better in the curves.
    David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Thanks for posting about your ride. That 38 mpg is impressive.
    Almost fell asleep a couple times. Most of the time I ride solo I get 30 to 32mpg. First time I have ever got this much. I see why the Harley's get the good gas mileage. Don't think I could handle many 38 mpg rides.
    David

Spyder Garage

Cool Bikes & Trikes Not Oil & Water

I ride with a group of primarily HD bikes and trikes, and other brands also. We are all older, one couple are chasing 90 years, and we all have fun together. Most have been riding for many years, some of our smoothest riders are ladies. Some retired LEOs are ex motor officers and insist on safe riding practices. Group rides I ride trail for safety as I can stop much faster under poor conditions than any bike. The downside of trailing is the noise, even with earplugs & full helmet it is painful. So I drop back and ride to enjoy the scenery, also have ample warning of hazards ahead. Having fun is paramount!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MercerLake View Post
    I ride with a group of primarily HD bikes and trikes, and other brands also. The downside of trailing is the noise, even with earplugs & full helmet it is painful.
    Yeah, my point exactly. And, I'm going deaf but it's still an annoying noise.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MercerLake View Post
    ---- Group rides I ride trail -------------

I also prefer to ride sweep------- I think it's safer ( for me and my wife) as I'll happily keep a safe distance and not tail to close. Some groups just ride tooo close together.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    ---------- And, I'm going deaf---------------.
    YA-- me too( according to my wife) What did you say????? To many years in the Army as an armorer and a supply Sgt. before ear protection

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    YA-- me too( according to my wife) What did you say????? To many years in the Army as an armorer and a supply Sgt. before ear protection Lew L
    Ships...engine rooms, air ops, firing missiles and big guns...it isn't always quiet out there!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    That would be a deal-killer for me. No way I'm riding behind a bunch of H-Ds.
    It's difficult to ride in an orderly staggered formation otherwise. Even in our club the Trikes are in the back, even the Harley trikes.😁
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Docster View Post
    It's difficult to ride in an orderly staggered formation otherwise. Even in our club the Trikes are in the back, even the Harley trikes.😁
    I understand. I just wouldn't ride with them. Period.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Docster View Post
    A couple of groups I ride with have learnt about Spyders, and now they let us ryde up front with the sports bikes, leaving the Harleys & rear-trikes to follow as & when they can. Come wet or windy weather, or on any of the really tight twisty rides with short straights that we have plenty of around here, we get to take point & order the coffees so they are there waiting for pmt & collection when all the others finally get in.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Almost fell asleep a couple times. Don't think I could handle many 38 mpg rides.
    David
    Yeah, group riding does that to me. Way too many dynamics involved with groups as well. Trying to get everyone on board for a start time, same when you stop and try get everyone going again etc etc. Diff strokes I guess....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I had several years of group riding that I considered good. The club went south and we quit doing it in 2014. It appears that the club is now defunct.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-09-2017 at 03:23 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red