Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Short lived Spyder experience

Well I have had my 08 for 2 weeks. The first week it sat. Second week it was in the shop getting serviced. Got it back home last Saturday. Titled and tagged Monday. Rode to work Tuesday and Wednesday 60 miles round trip each day. On the way in this morning sitting at a traffic light it starts billowing smoke. Pull into the gas station at the traffic light and it dumps all the oil on the ground.

I have wanted a Spyder for so long and now not so much. I might be jumping the gun and it may be something easy and a fluke, but I doubt it. Shop said it was in great shape and ran very nice with only 13k miles on it. Definitely has f*ucked my whole day already.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Oh no, I have never heard of such a thing happening.

I hope that you are able to work things out, it seems weird that this happened right after a dealer Service. Good luck!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

I agree it's weird right after service

Spyder Garage

Default Oil filter or oil plug not tight

With many years of automotive service experience behind me, my first though is that the mechanic left the oil plug loose or the oil filter was installed improperly.

I would have a trusted mechanic or different shop inspect the bike BEFORE I took it back to the shop that performed the service.

Most of the time the shop will stand behind their work, but then you have those that are no as customer orientated.

But, I would want to know, if possible what might have caused the leak before I did anything else.

As always, take plenty of pictures, especially if you find some service that has been performed incorrectly.

Best of luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck, guess is it was a people issue not a Spyder issue. Please keep us posted.

Spyder Garage

Sabotage!

Don't blame the Spyder.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I fear that your shop screwed up...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default So sorry .. Pls update us

So sorry to hear. Might be as simple as oil plug or filter or ??? The best of luck and please update us with the conclusion and resolution.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by zsisk View Post
    On the way in this morning sitting at a traffic light it starts billowing smoke. Pull into the gas station at the traffic light and it dumps all the oil on the ground.
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    So sorry to hear. Might be as simple as oil plug or filter or ??? The best of luck and please update us with the conclusion and resolution.

Rob
    Will definitely post what I find tonight. I just left it on the trailer at the house and grabbed the truck to get to work. Will start pulling panels this evening to take a look.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well I have had my 08 for 2 weeks. The first week it sat. Second week it was in the shop getting serviced. Got it back home last Saturday. Titled and tagged Monday. Rode to work Tuesday and Wednesday 60 miles round trip each day. On the way in this morning sitting at a traffic light it starts billowing smoke. Pull into the gas station at the traffic light and it dumps all the oil on the ground.

I have wanted a Spyder for so long and now not so much. I might be jumping the gun and it may be something easy and a fluke, but I doubt it. Shop said it was in great shape and ran very nice with only 13k miles on it. Definitely has f*ucked my whole day already.

My first thoughts are also about the plug. I hope you'll get it back on the road soon.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Maybe too much oil?
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

That exact type of thing happened to me on my SUV. Had my new vehicle (6months old) serviced at a shop (fresh oil change) for a 1000 mile trip I was going on. Took off the next day, halfway through the trip in another state the oil filter came loose, lost all the oil, seized the engine, had it towed to a dealer on the road, they said it was the wrong oil filter, took pictures of everything, had to rebuild the engine at the local dealer (two weeks/fly home and back), went back to the oil change shop, they called their insurance company and paid for all expenses including my travel home and back while my vehicle was being repaired out of state.
    Hopefully, this will work out for you and your Spyder experience will get another chance.......

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Spyder Garage

Sounds like either oil drain bolt came out or, more likely, oil filter bolts pulled loose. They can be repaired with a timesert and stud.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer....

Many of our problems are not that of the spyder but the work done on it. Sometimes self inflicted. Know how you feel but as stated above you need to have new eyes on the issue to see why. Not common but if billowing smoke (would need to know the color) could be coolant or oil. Could be overfilled with oil, loose plugs or filter caps, incorrectly installed oil filters, stripped drain plugs etc. Do hope you find the problem and the cause and let us know....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Will definitely post what I find tonight. I just left it on the trailer at the house and grabbed the truck to get to work. Will start pulling panels this evening to take a look.
    I would not do anything until the dealer that serviced it see's it. If you tear it apart yourself they will claim it is your fault. Be wise. It could be a stripped oil plug or some other oil leak due to the smoke getting to the exhaust. I am sure it traces back to the service. Was it a Can Am Spyder dealer or another shop that did the work? Big difference. Most non Spyder shops will not be qualified to work on your Spyder.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Many of our problems are not that of the spyder but the work done on it. Sometimes self inflicted. Know how you feel but as stated above you need to have new eyes on the issue to see why. Not common but if billowing smoke (would need to know the color) could be coolant or oil. Could be overfilled with oil, loose plugs or filter caps, incorrectly installed oil filters, stripped drain plugs etc. Do hope you find the problem and the cause and let us know....
    Definitely oil. Thick white smoke and I still smell of burnt motor oil!!! I am sure my co-workers are loving me!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    I would not do anything until the dealer that serviced it see's it. If you tear it apart yourself they will claim it is your fault. Be wise. It could be a stripped oil plug or some other oil leak due to the smoke getting to the exhaust. I am sure it traces back to the service. Was it a Can Am Spyder dealer or another shop that did the work? Big difference. Most non Spyder shops will not be qualified to work on your Spyder.

​Jack
    All I am going to do is pull the side panel and see if I can get an idea or what went wrong. I do not plan on touching anything else. Plan on videoing everything I do so they can't say it was me. It was a Can Am dealer that did the work. On all my other bikes over 20 years I have done all the maintenance, but having little time or patience now, I decided to let them do it. Quite possibly a mistake on my part!

Spyder Garage

I myself have gone through this but I was only a few miles from the dealer; i rode it back in and they realized the drain plug wasn't put on tight enough

Spyder Garage

I had a 2015 and it was nothing but trouble. Got rid of it.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your problem. It is sounding like the dealership did something wrong. All advice above good. Let us know what happens.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Don't touch it or take it apart! This is a dealer problem, Call them to tow it!!!!! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Well I pulled the side panel. So much oil that it is hard to say, but everything looked ok except the transmission filter cover. Going to post some pics if I can figure it out. Would that cause pretty much all my oil to spew out? Is it under pressure?IMG_20171130_152509568.jpgIMG_20171130_152543941.jpgIMG_20171130_152516248.jpgIMG_20171130_152509568.jpg
    Last edited by zsisk; 11-30-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Sorry for the duplicate pics!!

Spyder Garage

Another pic from further out showing one of the bolts not in correctly and part of the o-ring poking out.IMG_20171130_152052172.jpg