Spyder Garage

Default Finally ... something positive about the 998!

I love how the earth rotates around the sun ... it really makes my day!

Currently Own:

2019 F3 Limited - Vegas White (Dark Edition) - His
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Short reach bars-Center footpegs-Tall boy screen-Flag holders-LED Skidplate-Spydercuffs-Ultimate seat-LED Headlights)
    *** BLOWN MOTOR Apr 21 @3,800 miles, motor replaced by BRP Jun 5, 21 ***

2019 RT Limited - Phoenix Orange (Chrome) - Hers
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Skidplate-Spydercuff-Comfort seat-LED Headlights)

Previously Owned:
    2013 RT SE5 (Orbital Blue) *31,000 Miles* - His
    2012 RT Ltd SE5 (Pink Full Body Wrap) *41,000 Miles* - Hers
    2021 Ryker 900 (Black) Sport Windshield - Foam Grips - Solo Comfort Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Had no complaints or problems with mine but was still happy to move on.

Spyder Garage

I currently have one of each in my stable. Neither has been a problem in 28,000 miles on each. Have had four of the twins and one of the triples in my history with BRP.

I still prefer the triple. But--that is just me. Since the 998 is no longer a viable choice--as in discontinued--all arguments are moot.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

See, those of us here who think the 998 motor IS a great choice aren't alone! And the more we hear about the ongoing problems people are having with their 2014 & on Spyders, the happier we are... not only didn't we get suckered in by all that low end torque & better fuel economy, but it's now becoming apparent to more & more owners that we stuck with the greater long term reliability AND a more exciting motor/machine too!

But as much as I 'love' it, I gotta admit that I don't (& aren't ever likely to!!) kiss my 2013 RT bye or nighty night every time I leave it tho!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-29-2017 at 11:01 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Nothing like them....

To each his own ... they say. I am a 998 die hard with the last of the 106's. Have the 2012 RS sm5 and we will Ryde off into the sunset together. You have to know how to get the most from the big twin and when you find that sweet spot... it is a wonderful thing. to me the whole notion of these machines is it is not like driving an old Buick down the road, but more like an Italian sports car. The only thing missing on the 1330 se6 is the elimination of the paddle shifter and it's that Buick... all kidding aside there is that other saying..."love the one your with"...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Just remember...I did say I liked my 998. I have had four of them and over 100,000 miles with them. I don't like the service schedule though. I don't do valve checks anymore--so that saves me an additional $800 every 14K miles. I have learned to live with the noise and the high rpm stuff. Linda still says I blow her doors off with my 1300 though. She thinks I drive it to fast. Did not hear that when we both drove 998's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A very nice write up indeed. I love my 998. I don't like the service interval, I would enjoy the increased fuel range, but dang do I like the revs and the operation. I drove a 2014 RT for a friend recently, I test drove a 2017 F3 at the dealership, both were fun but it was a little like moving from a fun to drive car to a sedan. Nice but the sound was different, and not appealing.

I like my 998 and by the way, there were 1330 Ryders behind me at Maggie Valley and they said that from a stop they could not keep up.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't miss the oil adds. I'm confident that the 1330 is going to be a great long term investment (motor).
    Last edited by Saluda; 11-30-2017 at 07:20 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Right there with ya

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    See, those of us here who think the 998 motor IS a great choice aren't alone! And the more we hear about the ongoing problems people are having with their 2014 & on Spyders, the happier we are... not only didn't we get suckered in by all that low end torque & better fuel economy, but it's now becoming apparent to more & more owners that we stuck with the greater long term reliability AND a more exciting motor/machine too!

But as much as I 'love' it, I gotta admit that I don't (& aren't ever likely to!!) kiss my 2013 RT bye or nighty night every time I leave it tho!!
    I am right there with you Pete. Got my 2013 RT back in Feb 14 and other than the heat issue (resolved in 2015 by BRP) I have not had any issues other than 2 minor blips that were quickly resolved and have had 22,000 trouble free miles with mine. In fact I am still on my original OEM front tires & Battery! I do admit though that I was somewhat swaying toward the 1330 in the early days of their release, but each time I evaluated the change, I kept coming back to WHY? .. there is nothing wrong with my 998 plus I have it all set up how I want it. The part that burns my butt is those in the 1330 crowd that keep slamming the 998 as an inferior breed to the new comers that are wanting to buy a spyder .. these 'slammers' are not doing the owners of 998's any favours for when they do want to sell and maybe one day update their machine to a newer model. Anyway it was nice to see an article that was actually favourable toward the 998 for once
    Last edited by 2RTsGV; 11-30-2017 at 02:08 PM.
    I love how the earth rotates around the sun ... it really makes my day!

Currently Own:

2019 F3 Limited - Vegas White (Dark Edition) - His
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Short reach bars-Center footpegs-Tall boy screen-Flag holders-LED Skidplate-Spydercuffs-Ultimate seat-LED Headlights)
    *** BLOWN MOTOR Apr 21 @3,800 miles, motor replaced by BRP Jun 5, 21 ***

2019 RT Limited - Phoenix Orange (Chrome) - Hers
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Skidplate-Spydercuff-Comfort seat-LED Headlights)

Previously Owned:
    2013 RT SE5 (Orbital Blue) *31,000 Miles* - His
    2012 RT Ltd SE5 (Pink Full Body Wrap) *41,000 Miles* - Hers
    2021 Ryker 900 (Black) Sport Windshield - Foam Grips - Solo Comfort Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry you see people who recommend the triple to new buyers as Slammers...

However the extra miles between services via twice the service interval (and no valve check $) as well as 25% greater fuel range, are important issues for buyers to consider, don't you think??

Each motor has its own characteristics.

Not sure why people describe the F3 as a "sedan" either... Mine is as zippy as my earlier twins...

Spyder Garage

Default 998

Love my 09 RS, it makes the heart race every day, since I do all my own maintenance I've had none of the dealer issues.
    Improvise, Adapt, Overcome, Semper Fi
    2020 RT
    Limited heated seats
    removable back rest & rack
    XK Glow light
    Paint with light painted panels
    (Gone but not forgotten ) 2009 RS SE5
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post

However the extra miles between services via twice the service interval (and no valve check $) as well as 25% greater fuel range, are important issues for buyers to consider, don't you think??

Not sure why people describe the F3 as a "sedan" either... Mine is as zippy as my earlier twins...
    F3 is likened to a cruiser. RT is likened to a touring couch--but it will get up and go. A fight over 2 vs. 3? As I said in an earlier post--it should not matter. The 998 is discontinued.

To paraphrase a couple of Presidents: "I am not a slammer."

I own one, I have had four. If there is someone out there that wants another 998, my 2011 is still for sale. Going to the dealer on consignment in March. Give away at $11,500 with 28,000 miles. Perfect condition. Driven by a nice lady on weekends only. PM me for additional details.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-30-2017 at 08:13 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Mine is a 998

Hi Dave here
    I also have the 998 mine is a 2009 GS with 20+K on it now and NEVER have had any
    trouble with it. I also have a motorcycle ( Two Wheels) so I divide my time between them
    or it would have more miles on it, I have never had any mechanical problems with it at all.
    it's not worth much now so selling it or trading it in would be stupid so for now that is what I ride
    but that F3 LTD sure looks nice....
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Default GUZZLE GUZZLE HEAT OIL...

While I love my 12 RT Ill never get used to having to add at least a quart if not 2 between changes or having to carry a gallon gas can if I might have to go more than 140 miles like I did year before last in Big Bend...soon as I finish paying it off this year I hope to trade it in on a 1330...just bought a front pulley due to seeing rust powder in the pulley and reading that's likely the cause...
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We'll I haven't rode a 1330 yet but maybe I'll have to see what all the fuss is about. I love our 2011 RT just the raw sound of it get me All tingley inside. Kinda like when you got on your first bike and tore out on the open road. But I'll just have to try a 1330 one day. But to each his own that's what makes us who we are. So no matter what you ride. Happy Trails

Spyder Garage

I've had the 998 twin and the 1330 triple.
    I much prefer the 1330 triple, but I can see the advantage to the ST platform.
    I'm disappointed that BRP stopped making the RS and RT platforms.
    Perhaps an ST with the 1330 triple that is tuned to a higher RPM ??

Just my opinion, I could be wrong. I'm sure someone on this forum will let me know if I am.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post

I have fond memories of my 2011 RTS. It served me well until the bigger engine came out and I got the 2014 RTS. Now I'm also loving my F3.

I'm just glad there's something out there for everyone. Too bad BRP has narrowed the line.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We enjoyed the 2012 RTL and have moved on to the 2016 F3L. They are apples and oranges as far as the engines go. Like them both. The lower gearing on the 2016 keeps it plenty zippy so no complaints there. It was comfortable enough to do a cross country ride from Las Vegas to Spyderquest in New York with some sightseeing thrown in. I also ride a two wheeler but after that long trip I am looking forward to being a two spyder family once the F3L is paid off. Like I said I like the twin but the triple is way more of a modern engine, I do not regret moving on.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Great Story
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)