Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Cool Planning two rides for 2018, Arizona and Four Corners

Currently we have 40,000+ miles on our 2014 RT Ltd. In 2017 we rode down to Nashville to get on the Natchez Trace, rode it to Natchez, MS, then on down to Louisiana, east to Mobile then north back home (central Ohio). 2,100+ miles and a great trip. That was in May. In September we rode north to Lake Erie and rode the Great Lakes Seaway then dropping south through the Adirondacks then west and south to the Allegheny National Forest in northwest Pennsylvania and then on home. That was around 1,600+ miles with two days of rain. We pulled our RT-622 trailer on both of these runs and all of our equipment performed very well.

This coming year will hopefully bring more great adventures. First a month in Arizona... Apache Junction to be exact. For this trip we plan to trailer the bike to Arizona and then spend most of the time on day trips throughout the area. Once we return to Ohio we will start preparing for our version of a Four Corners Tour. We have no interest in applying to the Southern California Motorcycle Association for a registered trip or riding any Interstates were they can be avoided.

But we will target the four corners as that group has identified them. Early thoughts are to leave in early May and travel first to Key West, FL. Maybe stay a few days or a week in the Keys. Then head out for San Ysidro, CA. That leg may take a week or more as we enjoy the sites and opportunities across the south. From the southwest corner of the US we will head north. Would like to ride a lot of the Pacific Coast Highway as may be reasonable. Say, from north of Los Angeles to south of San Francisco then head inland and north to Blaine, WA. Since we plan to ride only 4 or 5 hours each day each leg of this trip will be lengthy.

South out of Blaine, WA, to pick up US 2 and ride it east all the way to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where to we cross into Canada. Out of Canada in the Finger Lakes area of New York to pick up US 2 again finally swinging north to Madawaska, ME. Seems there is a park in the town recognizing the Four Corners Tour and it will serve as our northeast target. Hope to spend a little time in the New England area before returning to Central Ohio.

Been using Garmin's Basecamp software to work on each leg, primarily to get some idea of possible time frames and distances. Also been building some of it in Google Maps. Looks like somewhere around 10,200 miles and two plus months. Remember, no interstates and plenty of "stop and smell the roses" time.

This will hopefully be the lifetime adventure for my wife and I. At 73 now, I figure it's time to get 'er done!

We welcome all comments regarding our plans, especially on the Four Corners Tour. Areas that we will be riding through relative to potential weather threats by those who know, will be much appreciated.
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights
    2014 Limited , Silver Playinum Satin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When do you head to AZ? Will you be at the Tombstone Ride In?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default February

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    When do you head to AZ? Will you be at the Tombstone Ride In?
    We will leave Ohio January 25th and get into Las Cruses, NM, on the 29th. Will leave Las Cruses on the 31th for Apache Junction. Renting a home there for the month. No specific plans for the run back home, but it will not be direct.

So we will miss the Tombstone ride in.
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights

Spyder Garage

Default CONSIDERATION

Since you like long rides, consider this: http://d3wr.com/?page_id=57
    if you decide to go, you'll find some of the greatest roads to ride in America.....
    see you there...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

So when in the 4corners area zip over into Utah and ride the Moki Dugway. Stop in Mexican hat for Navajo Tacos. Be sure to see Mesa Verde over in Colorado and the ride up HWY US 550 Durango to Silverton to Ridgeway then take CO145 back down to Cortez.There is so much to see and ride thru that area.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Trip

Sounds like a good time. Enjoy.
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Front Bumper (Black)
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you have some great rides planned for your RT. I'm 78 now & would love to do them on my '08 GS but the wife very strongly says no. For my benefit, she says, as I'm not in great medical shape. Also she does not want to be left alone for 4 weeks at least.
    Fortunately I been to all those places with her by car but would love to redo them on my Spyder. Oh well, at least I can dream about it.

Have a great time next summer & I will be with you in spirit.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Default 3 WHEEL EVENT

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    Sounds like you have some great rides planned for your RT. I'm 78 now & would love to do them on my '08 GS but the wife very strongly says no. For my benefit, she says, as I'm not in great medical shape. Also she does not want to be left alone for 4 weeks at least.
    Fortunately I been to all those places with her by car but would love to redo them on my Spyder. Oh well, at least I can dream about it.

here's an idea Oldgoat.... pack bags for you & ma'ma, hook up your trailer with your GS on it, and join us in Deadwood, SD next July... http://d3wr.com/?page_id=57 this is a fabulous area on the USA to ride some of the best motorcycle roads.... we'd be happy if you joined us...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pjweimer View Post
    Then head out for San Ysidro, CA. That leg may take a week or more as we enjoy the sites and opportunities across the south. From the southwest corner of the US we will head north. Would like to ride a lot of the Pacific Coast Highway as may be reasonable. Say, from north of Los Angeles to south of San Francisco then head inland and north to Blaine, WA.
    Be aware that daytime travel anywhere in the desert areas of the Southwest can be very hot in May. Elevation = cooler so you may be able to negate some of this heat by staying in the mountains as much as possible.

The Pacific Coast Highway is a great ride from the Santa Barbara area all the way north into and through Oregon BUT be aware that there were some significant landslides last year in the Big Sur country of CA which may not yet be repaired (and there were no ride-arounds). Check with the California Highway Patrol or Highway Department BEFORE starting this leg as it is very remote in places and you might reach a dead-end halfway to S.F. The PCH north of S.F. is very beautiful and not a lot of traffic.

Spyder Garage

The PCH north of San Francisco is very slow going. Be prepared for lots of 10-15 MPH corners for hours on end. Not much time to enjoy the scenery due to attention needed to the serious wiggly road. Been there, done that. Prefer highway 101. It is better "cruising" and very scenic.....just not next to the ocean.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

South out of Blaine, WA, to pick up US 2 and ride it east all the way to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where to we cross into Canada. Out of Canada in the Finger Lakes area of New York to pick up US 2 again finally swinging north to Madawaska, ME. Seems there is a park in the town recognizing the Four Corners Tour and it will serve as our northeast target. Hope to spend a little time in the New England area before returning to Central Ohio.
    Four Corners in the NE US? Haven't heard of it. Normally that refers to the intersection of Utah, AZ, Colo and NM ....?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    The PCH north of San Francisco is very slow going. Be prepared for lots of 10-15 MPH corners for hours on end. Not much time to enjoy the scenery due to attention needed to the serious wiggly road. Been there, done that. Prefer highway 101. It is better "cruising" and very scenic.....just not next to the ocean.
    I used to spend several afternoons per week riding HWY 1 (CA 1) north between the GG bridge and Fort Ross. I do not recall any 10-15 MPH curves but the speed limit is 35 in most places and it would be to your advantage not to exceed it by much. Lots of quaint little settlements along the way and even a hotel or two (Marshall comes to mind). Bodega Bay is a little town where Hitchcock filmed "The Birds" back in 1963 and it isn't much different today than back then.

Because of the congestion on 101 north of the GG bridge I would recommend taking CA 1 north at least to Jenner. You can then drive east to meet the 101 north of most of the traffic. It will be very heavy until you reach Santa Rosa.

Plan your gas stops carefully. The area next to the ocean is very rural.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Four Corners in the NE US? Haven't heard of it. Normally that refers to the intersection of Utah, AZ, Colo and NM ....?
    He is talking about the four corners of the continental USA.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    He is talking about the four corners of the continental USA.
    Ah that makes sense. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the comments

Thanks for the comments given at this point. I kind of thought that the California south to north run was going to offer challenges. The suggested alternative route will be considered as we have driven the PCH from Los Angeles to Monterey (back in 2000 and in a car). This decision may be influenced on just how well the trip has gone up to this point.

I was hoping to get some comments about running east out of Seattle area on US 2 at that time of year. It does run all the way to UP Michigan and we thought it may give us a different view of northern USA. There is a write up of the road in a book "Road Trip USA" which we have seen excerpts online. I have pre-ordered the updated book that is to be released in March 2018.

Will continue to monitor this thread for hopefully more great input.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post

I should have read the entire post before commenting! I read about the AZ bit & also saw 4 Corners in the title & assumed it was the CO, NM, AZ, UT area. Silly me.

I knew a young lady from the Phoenix area who rode out to San Diego area then did your 4 Corners clockwise within the time limit to have it recognized as "official". She called in on us in Montreal on her way to ME. She was freaked out with a noisy "in tank" fuel pump in her big inline 4 Yamaha. That girl could go 1200 miles in 24hrs.
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    here's an idea Oldgoat.... pack bags for you & ma'ma, hook up your trailer with your GS on it, and join us in Deadwood, SD next July... http://d3wr.com/?page_id=57 this is a fabulous area on the USA to ride some of the best motorcycle roads.... we'd be happy if you joined us...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    These kind of trips enter my mind. Unfortunately I have a small car, no hitch on it & no trailer on which to load the Spyder.
    Also no place to keep the trailer if I were to buy one. However that doesn't stop me from thinking about it.
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the comments given at this point. I kind of thought that the California south to north run was going to offer challenges. The suggested alternative route will be considered as we have driven the PCH from Los Angeles to Monterey (back in 2000 and in a car). This decision may be influenced on just how well the trip has gone up to this point.

I was hoping to get some comments about running east out of Seattle area on US 2 at that time of year. It does run all the way to UP Michigan and we thought it may give us a different view of northern USA. There is a write up of the road in a book "Road Trip USA" which we have seen excerpts online. I have pre-ordered the updated book that is to be released in March 2018.

Will continue to monitor this thread for hopefully more great input.
    If you're wondering what any specific section of highway may be like just look at it on Google Street View. I've found that to be a great way to preview a route.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default US Highway 2 (Seattle to UP Michigan) in June, weather?

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    If you're wondering what any specific section of highway may be like just look at it on Google Street View. I've found that to be a great way to preview a route.
    Was hoping for comments about average weather conditions along US 2 in June. While I have not yet developed any kind of timeline for the trip, I'm thinking that may be early June or so when we will be in northwest Washington and ready to start east from there.

Laying up for weather considerations will be no big deal, just may want to that further south.

Spyder Garage

Was hoping for comments about average weather conditions along US 2 in June. While I have not yet developed any kind of timeline for the trip, I'm thinking that may be early June or so when we will be in northwest Washington and ready to start east from there.

Laying up for weather considerations will be no big deal, just may want to that further south.

Summertime riding. You should not run into anything worse than rain. UP a bit cooler because of the Lake Superior effect. The scenery is a bit nicer than the interstate system. Mostly two lane road, and can be more congested depending on where you are. You will not make good time, but its a vacation.

I am familiar with ND, MN, WI, MI
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-29-2017 at 05:52 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Based on your planned itinerary I figured you'd be doing that part about the middle of June. Early June should be OK but expect it to be cool, and as AK says plan on rain. You could hit snow on the top of the Rockies that far north. Going to the Sun Highway in Glacier may just have been plowed open in early June.

I rode I-94 across from Montana to the UP the second week of June 2013. It was not a hot ride by any means, and felt cooler the closer I got to Michigan due to the increase in humidity!

If I were you I'd ride across the southern US in late May or early June, just before the summer heat and humidity settles in in Louisiana. That way you'll hit the northern part of the country at an ideal time for riding, weather wise.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Default Refining the trip

Thanks for last couple comments, will keep them in mind.

I continue to work on the details for this trip in Garmin's route planning software. Basecamp. We are staying with the basic criteria of no interstates (where avoidable), each travel day is to consist of 4 hours of saddle time (more of less) and planning a down day after three back-to-back travel days. Leaving central Ohio on May 7th with that criteria this Four Corners Tour will most likely require the entire summer of 2018 to complete.

The first leg, central Ohio to Key West, FL, will take 8 days and the second leg from Key West to San Ysidro, CA, will run about 17 days. I have laid that much detail into Basecamp and we are OK with the routes and timetable so far.

Now comes a challenge... from San Ysidro, CA, to Blaine, WA. First we thought we would be great to run the PCH as much as possible but since we did that back 2000 (although in a car), we thought to find a route up through the valley. Before I attack that challenge I thought I might return here to the forum and ask if our western members might chime in with suggestions. This south to north run may involve some coastal routes and some more eastward routes, any combination will be considered. Remember, keep the criteria in mind.

Look forward to seeing your thoughts on this leg for our Four Corners Tour.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Now comes a challenge... from San Ysidro, CA, to Blaine, WA. First we thought we would be great to run the PCH as much as possible but since we did that back 2000 (although in a car), we thought to find a route up through the valley. Before I attack that challenge I thought I might return here to the forum and ask if our western members might chime in with suggestions. This south to north run may involve some coastal routes and some more eastward routes, any combination will be considered. Remember, keep the criteria in mind.

Look forward to seeing your thoughts on this leg for our Four Corners Tour.
    You basically have four choices:

1. PCH - best weather, chance of local fog, big slide area near Big Sur may not be completely repaired (check with Caltrans or CHP before leaving SoCal).

2. Highway 99 - last time I drove it, it was in terrible condition. Mostly concrete with many potholes and broken pavement. It can be very hot depending on season and winds and there is a ton of truck traffic.

3. Highway 101 - better than 99 by far. Nearer the ocean so cooler and scenery is better. Some interesting little joints along the way that might be worth stopping at depending upon your situation and preferences.

4. I5 - dull scenery, tends to have significant winds, also not in the best shape pavement wise. It does bypass the whole S.F. area though so would be your best bet if S.F. was not on your list. The other routes all take you through the city and across the Golden Gate Bridge (no toll going north IIRC). If you are planning on spending time in S.F. I5 would not be your ideal choice.

North of S.F.:

Any of the above would work. PCH will be slowest and coolest. 101 has good scenery once north of Santa Rosa (do not try to take this route during commute hours - very heavy traffic southbound in AM and again going north in PM). I5 is OK once past Sacramento.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    You basically have four choices:

1. PCH - best weather, chance of local fog, big slide area near Big Sur may not be completely repaired (check with Caltrans or CHP before leaving SoCal).

2. Highway 99 - last time I drove it, it was in terrible condition. Mostly concrete with many potholes and broken pavement. It can be very hot depending on season and winds and there is a ton of truck traffic.

3. Highway 101 - better than 99 by far. Nearer the ocean so cooler and scenery is better. Some interesting little joints along the way that might be worth stopping at depending upon your situation and preferences.

4. I5 - dull scenery, tends to have significant winds, also not in the best shape pavement wise. It does bypass the whole S.F. area though so would be your best bet if S.F. was not on your list. The other routes all take you through the city and across the Golden Gate Bridge (no toll going north IIRC). If you are planning on spending time in S.F. I5 would not be your ideal choice.

North of S.F.:

Any of the above would work. PCH will be slowest and coolest. 101 has good scenery once north of Santa Rosa (do not try to take this route during commute hours - very heavy traffic southbound in AM and again going north in PM). I5 is OK once past Sacramento.
    Nailed it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Consider going an inland route on the east side of the Cascades like US 395, State 31, US 97 & 197, and so forth. Looking at Google Maps once you get to Sacramento your North/South route choices are limited. The Pacific coastline isn't the only pretty place in the West! Your chances of rain are less and the temps likely higher on the east side of the Cascades.

2014 Copper RTS