Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by electricman View Post
    Sorry I need help but this is an oil? Also, I am new to Spyder

I just checked the oil in my Spyder RT before starting it, & it did not show anything, also I don't see any leaks! Help?
    Never check the oil cold. They say run it 9 miles let it run for a few minutes then check it. I just check mind now cold and it is on the minimum. If I run it several miles and check it it wil be okay.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-01-2023 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I use and like that Valvoline ....... here's something that might not be known about the Valvoline ..... Out of about 20 of the leading Mtc oils, This Valvoline had the second lowest Molybdenum added to the product, only Amsoil is lower ........... Moly is BAD for WET clutches .... and the Spyder has a Wet clutch .........Mike
    I also read that somewhere. That is why I am thinking about using Valvoline.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-01-2023 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

thanks i guess i will but oil in to med- run ride and chack that sounds ok right
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-01-2023 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

thanks i guess i will but oil in to med- run ride and chack that sounds ok right
    Suggest you begin by reading your operator's manual and following the instructions therein.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Which Spyder do you have? The 998 engine burns oil, the 1330 doesn't. If you have the 998 and you don't see any oil on the dip stick, you better add a half quart before you go driving around.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Use the Valvoline and Mobil 1, run each oil 5,000 miles, have them analyzed and make your selection based upon the analysis results. That's the only way YOU can tell which is performing better in your Spyder. Buy oil analysis kits from your local Napa auto parts store or from Napa online.
    Since it's a 2015 RT run it 9600 miles, the factory spec for oil change interval.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Since it's a 2015 RT run it 9600 miles, the factory spec for oil change interval.
    I don't think I will go quite that far but I will go around 7000 miles .
    Jerry
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    I don't think I will go quite that far but I will go around 7000 miles .
    Jerry
    Jerry, I use the Valvoline and like it ..... In Vermont I usually do about 11,000 miles per year, so I do an oil change around 5,500 mi..... However, at this change I don't do the filter just the oil ...... clean oil doesn't clog the filter the way dirty oil does... so I think the filter will last longer .......jmho .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-01-2023 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Colour, Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

I don’t want to start an Oil thread. I got a question. I have read a large number of all the oil threads with a lot of tests that were done. I have got it down to two oils that I am considering to start using. Those are Mobil 1 Racing oil T4 10W/40 and Valvoline Motorcycle oil 4T Stroke "Full synthetic" 10w-40. I have read the spec’s on both oils. They seem to be about the same. I can purchase the Valvoline for about $5.00 a quart and everywhere I have checked the Mobil 1 is $9.97 a quart. Is the Mobil that mush better?
    The Valvoline oil is fully JASO MA2 compatible, go with it.

Spyder Garage

Where are you finding the Valvoline 4T 10W40 Full Synthetic for $5 a quart? I usually pay near twice that from either Wally World or Pep Boys.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

It is currently on sale thru Walmart at 6.67/qt. I have enough on hand for three oil changes.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I'm using the Valvoline 4T Stroke ( Full Synthetic) SAE 10W- 40, and I have a 2014 RTS-SE6 ( 1330 Ace Engine). I have been using this oil for 2 years, no problems.

It is formulated for the specific needs of motorcycles. Including high temperature , high RPM'S and wet clutch systems. Excellent wear and corrosion protection to help keep the engine performing its best.

Exceeds: API Services, SJ/SG/SF, JASO MA2.

Outstanding wet clutch protection for the maximum power transfer & smooth shifting.

Added protection against harmful deposits that can decrease engine performance.

Synthetic formula maximizes power and acceleration.

****Superior Wet Clutch Protection****

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    It is currently on sale thru Walmart at 6.67/qt. I have enough on hand for three oil changes.
    It was on sale for $25.28 for a six pack in November 2015. I ordered 3 of them thinking they would go on sale again soon but it ain't happenin'.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    It was on sale for $25.28 for a six pack in November 2015. I ordered 3 of them thinking they would go on sale again soon but it ain't happenin'.
    ... I bought 4 six-packs at that price and one of 20w/50, which I add one quart to the four 10w/40 for viscosity improvement..... I have seen it for 32.00 a six-pack but that was 6 months ago ....... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-01-2023 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Colour, Caps, & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    Yes I keep hoping that too but the best I have seen is this $6.67 price and you have to order by the qt. I ordered a dozen and they came in 12 individual packages but all to the same address at the same time. Wierd huh

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ... I bought 4 six-packs at that price and one of 20w/50, which I add one quart to the four 10w/40 for viscosity improvement..... I have seen it for 32.00 a six-pack but that was 6 months ago ....... Mike

That's probably as cheap as it's going to get. If it goes on sale for $32.- again I'll have to stock up I guess.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-01-2023 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

I don’t want to start an Oil thread. I got a question. I have read a large number of all the oil threads with a lot of tests that were done. I have got it down to two oils that I am considering to start using. Those are Mobil 1 Racing oil T4 10W/40 and Valvoline Motorcycle oil 4T Stroke "Full synthetic" 10w-40. I have read the spec’s on both oils. They seem to be about the same. I can purchase the Valvoline for about $5.00 a quart and everywhere I have checked the Mobil 1 is $9.97 a quart. Is the Mobil that mush better?
    Plenty has been said about Valvoline, but are you mistaking the price of Valvoline conventional motorcycle oil with the full synthetic oil? The 4T is the full synthetic and is closer to $7/qt on sale. That is the one you want.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Plenty has been said about Valvoline, but are you mistaking the price of Valvoline conventional motorcycle oil with the full synthetic oil? The 4T is the full synthetic and is closer to $7/qt on sale. That is the one you want.
    No it was full synthetic 4T it was on sale for 5.67 a quart. In our area it runs 5.67 to 7.00 dollars.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Yes I keep hoping that too but the best I have seen is this $6.67 price and you have to order by the qt. I ordered a dozen and they came in 12 individual packages but all to the same address at the same time. Wierd huh
    Walmart's computer programs are way behind the times ...... If you go looking for stuff, they will very often miss certain packaging options, ie. a six-pack of the same oil you are looking for ........ you have to ask for a SIX-PACK .......Plus, they only tell you about what is IN STOCK RIGHT NOW .... if the warehouse doesn't have any at the moment ...Walmart treats it like it never existed! jmho ... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-01-2023 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Colour, Caps, & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

The 6 pack is also shown if you ask for it (thanks Mike),but it is the same price,$6.67/qt. Free shipping and free pickup

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't want to start an Oil thread. I do have one question I am thinking of using Valvoline Motorcycle oil 10W-40 in my Spyder. I have found to different ones. One in a silver container part # 507679. The other is in a black container VV740. The specs read just about the same. They are both marked motorcycle oil. Is there anyone than can tell me if one is better than the other. The prices are within a dollar or two. It depends on where you purchase it. The cheapest price is at Walmart.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-01-2023 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

I don't want to start an Oil thread. I do have one question I am thinking of using Valvoline Motorcycle oil 10W-40 in my Spyder. I have found to different ones. One in a silver container part # 507679. The other is in a black container VV740. The specs read just about the same. They are both marked motorcycle oil. Is there anyone than can tell me if one is better than the other. The prices are within a dollar or two. It depends on where you purchase it. The cheapest price is at Walmart.

I think you'll find the silver one is fully synthetic.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    I think you'll find the silver one is fully synthetic.
    Thanks, I think you are right. I just went on Walmart's website and the silver container did say full synthetic and the black said conventional. I did not catch that in the specs. Thanks again, I do want synthetic oil.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Either one will be ok, synthetic or non-synthetic is personal choice....enjoy and ride!

Spyder Garage

Default VAL OIL

i think you'll find all you'll need at a previous post of mine....

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...110817-VAL-OIL

Dan P
    SPYD3R