Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default It can happen anywhere at any time

Jane and I went for a beautiful ride yesterday out away from the crazy and dangerous traffic into the countryside. When we got home, this was on the news; it happened just five minutes after we had passed the same spot on SR-56 at Newcastle. It was perfect weather, miles of visibility, dry roads....

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/ar.../#.WhrbHEqnFhE
    Last edited by UtahPete; 11-26-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Sadly true....

Happens so fast and during this time it's the worst...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you missed it...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

It wasn't your time Pete. Nova and I have had similar situation a few times at some of Reno's major intersections. Just gotta live life and hope that when your time does come that it's quick. Ya a bit fatalistic I know ------ but all those years on 2 wheels and all those close calls will do that.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    It wasn't your time Pete. Nova and I have had similar situation a few times at some of Reno's major intersections. Just gotta live life and hope that when your time does come that it's quick. Ya a bit fatalistic I know ------ but all those years on 2 wheels and all those close calls will do that. Lew L
    Thanks Lew. I think fatalistic is the only sane approach to life. I've just never (knowingly anyway) been that close to being involved in a deadly collision.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Thanks Lew. I think fatalistic is the only sane approach to life. I've just never (knowingly anyway) been that close to being involved in a deadly collision.
    I have and can't forget it...

In the mid '60s, my older sister was driving me home from horseback riding in Ogden, Utah. We were in a Volkswagon Beetle driving down Washington Blvd, which is a four lane road with a center turn lane.

For whatever reason, we could not get around this pokey dump truck. Very frustrating! At the cross street of 7th Ave, our light turned green and the dump truck started into the intersection.

All the sudden this Cadillac type car came speeding across the intersection from 7th Ave, running his red light. He hit the nose of the dump truck and went spinning across the intersection, hitting a light pole on the far side of the road.

If we had passed the dump truck, the car would have hit us. It would have hit the passenger side and thats where I was. Guardian Angels were watching us that day...

"Put the Lime in the Coconut" was playing at that moment.

It was a long time ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday.

I'm a realist...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    I have and can't forget it...In the mid '60s, my older sister was driving me home from horseback riding in Ogden, Utah. We were in a Volkswagon Beetle driving down Washington Blvd, which is a four lane road with a center turn lane.
    I know exactly where you're talking about. My most vivid memory on Washington Blvd was seeing a bright red bullet bike zipping along, the rider in T-shirt and shorts no helmet, dangling an infant under his left arm. I've always wondered at that; how could anyone be that stupid, careless, reckless with another one's life, etc...?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Update; a 19-year-old driving a suburban crossed over into oncoming traffic, hitting a ford focus carrying a family of four. All died (the focus was demolished; the suburban burst into fire, killing the sole occupant). Two-lane desert road at 4:30pm; visibility not an issue. We'll never know why or how this happened.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I could be wrong, but a 19 yr old crossing the center line, I'm thinking paying more attention to the phone then the road.

Spyder Garage

Hi Pete,

Re: I've just never (knowingly anyway) been that close to being involved in a deadly collision.

I've been closer. Fifty years ago I was sitting right where you are looking here, next to the pilot:

Airplane Crunch.jpg

To this day, I can still see the blades of grass coming up at me. I ABSOLUTELY knew that I was dead.

All three of us survived; it just was not in the cards then.

Jerry Baumchen
    Last edited by JerryB; 11-26-2017 at 05:10 PM.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Bottom Line: Be careful out there. Drive like everyone is intentionally out to get you.

Also had a close call, and not our time.

South of Janesville WI. Was taking an "alternate" route to Indiana to avoid the nasty freeway system around Chicago.

Tooling down the highway. It was raining that morning and the roads were very wet. I was going to fast for the conditions. An old farmer in a beat up pickup truck pulled out from a side road in front of me. He realized he made a mistake. Dumped on his brakes. Caused me to do the same. My car (a 72 Plymouth Satellite) quickly locked up and went out of control. We went across the center line and head on into an oncoming van. We ended up on the far side of the road in a ditch. The car was almost totaled. Had wife and 2 toddlers with me. No one was hurt, but we were shaken up big time. It is true, when something like that happens--everything seems to go into slow motion. I remember ducking down and making the statement "we're dead."

Just regular seat belts and no air bags in those days.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-26-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default You are so right

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Bottom Line: Be careful out there. Drive like everyone is intentionally out to get you.

Also had a close call, and not our time.

South of Janesville WI. Was taking an "alternate" route to Indiana to avoid the nasty freeway system around Chicago.

Tooling down the highway. It was raining that morning and the roads were very wet. I was going to fast for the conditions. An old farmer in a beat up pickup truck pulled out from a side road in front of me. He realized he made a mistake. Dumped on his brakes. Caused me to do the same. My car (a 72 Plymouth Satellite) quickly locked up and went out of control. We went across the center line and head on into an oncoming van. We ended up on the far side of the road in a ditch. The car was almost totaled. Had wife and 2 toddlers with me. No one was hurt, but we were shaken up big time. It is true, when something like that happens--everything seems to go into slow motion. I remember ducking down and making the statement "we're dead."

Just regular seat belts and no air bags in those days.
    Years ago I was driving my car on the freeway in a light rain, driving a safe speed for the conditions, on a curve in the freeway, and I started to hydroplane towards the left edge of freeway. There was no curb, just dirt when my two left tires made contact with the dirt it swung my car around. As I slid backwards towards the other side of the freeway I remember watching the cars behind me (now in front) slowing down, and thinking how glad I am that they were far enough away that I did not hit them. Finally I slid across the freeway, my drivers side rear tire hit the curb making the car swing around, so I was facing the right direction. One of the drivers behind me stopped to check on me, I was only shook up, but not hurt. The force of impact was so strong it made the rear driver side tire valve stem pop out, so I just drove the car the 75 feet (or so) to the off ramp to change the tire. There was no way I was going to change the tire on the side of the freeway on the traffic side of the car.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold