Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Who carries Extra Fuel? Where/How?

Starting to get the bucket list started for rides. Some of them like Beartooth Pass and Going to the Sun seem pretty desolate. I am wondering if anyone here carries extra fuel with them? What kind of cans and how they are mounted if they do.
    We have a 2013 RT Limited with a Harbor Freight tag along trailer. I am looking at jerry cans vs rotopax but of course price is not comparable.
    Thanks for any input
    Dave

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fire34 View Post
    Starting to get the bucket list started for rides. Some of them like Beartooth Pass and Going to the Sun seem pretty desolate. I am wondering if anyone here carries extra fuel with them? What kind of cans and how they are mounted if they do.
    We have a 2013 RT Limited with a Harbor Freight tag along trailer. I am looking at jerry cans vs rotopax but of course price is not comparable.
    Thanks for any input
    Dave
    FYI - Beartooth Pass is indeed remote and fuel availability is probably a realistic concern.

However, the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier Park really is not that remote, as I recall. The town of Whitefish, Montana is pretty close by (to the western entrance) and IIRC there's a gas station or two at/near the western entrance to the park.

I'm basing this on a trip I made in 2013 (by car).
    Bert

Spyder Garage

Default gas cans

Thanks for any input
    Dave
    I have used small sealed gas storage tanks from Princess Auto. They do not leak and you can add a pump system to deliver to your gas tank without removing it from the trailer for about $30.

I know one guy that used a boat gas tank mounted on a rack on the back or in a trailer for the plastic ones. The one on the rack does not look good though. You can get the mounted boat tanks from 5 gals and up

We have some long distances between gas stations in the north where I have used two litre metal water container that seals for gas
    Done all of Canada except NWT and parts of Australia, New Zealand and areas of Europe

Spyder Garage

The 1330 models should average 200 plus miles per tank. I have never carried extra fuel on either and have never been in a situation where I ran out. I came close one time on my 998.

REDA gas cans used to be a brand mentioned quite often. Have not seen the subject of late--so this is a good thread. They were supposed to be good when it came to NOT leaking.

Other suggestions will pop up as the thread progresses.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Look at Rotopax...

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for any input
    Dave
    I rode Beartooth Pass and had no problems finding fuel. Got gas at Cooke City MT. But carrying some gas, even for peace of mind, is a good idea. I have used REDA cans in the past with good results.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 11-24-2017 at 10:35 PM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default I also had the Rotopax

When I had a Mini Trailer (Nomad) I mounted a Rotopax on it. At the time, I also had a 2013 RT Limited with the 998. Now that I have a 1330 I don't worry as much about running dry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Going to the Sun Rd. from West Glacier to St Marys, MT is 50 miles, gas stations at both ends. Rode bicycle in 2008 to West Glacier from Anacortes specifically to ride Going to the Sun Rd over Logan Pass. On 30 June road was still closed due to late winter storm, Park Service working feverishly to get it open by July 4th. Couldn't wait for them to clear pass, real bummer!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Have ridden Beartooth twice once with a Honda SE 1500 Trike and the last time with a 2012 RTL,no trailer either time. I fueled in Cody and made it to Red Lodge, also Cooke City to Red Lodge just fine and Red Lodge to Cody no problem. The Honda Trike got terrible gas mileage 25mpg. My Spyder RTL (998 VTwin) gets 30mpg.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you run Lolo pass (lolo MT to Kooskia ID) it's 132mi between gas stations, you *might* be on fumes by the time you get to one end. Going to the Sun Rd is only half that distance.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default extra fuel

REDA gas cans used to be a brand mentioned quite often. Have not seen the subject of late--so this is a good thread. They were supposed to be good when it came to NOT leaking.

Another yes for reda cans, can carry 2 one gallon cans in either the bottom of my frunk or inside my time out trailer. If you need more than 2 gallons to get you to the next gas stop you are truly traveling in BFE...
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Extra Fuel?

From my experience in travelling to "remote" areas I found that gassing often and not allowing the fuel gauge to drop below half worked extremely well. I travelled on an MC trip to the areas you stated without any problem and on a Yamaha Stratoliner 1800cc with its measly 4 gallon tank. People I know with those extra gas tanks/cans love them at first but then are discarded for doing what I do....gas often.

Remember the golden rule: Its easier to ride to a gas station then to push to a gas station.
    (an ancient Chinese proverb written by confused)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I rode Beartooth Pass and had no problems finding fuel. Got gas at Cooke City MT. But carrying some gas, even for peace of mind, is a good idea. I have used REDA cans in the past with good results.
    REDA cans ($30) seem to be made to fit in motorcycle hard saddlebags. They're available on Amazon, eBay, etc. http://www.reda-innovations.com/reda-gas-can

Good to know!
    Last edited by UtahPete; 11-25-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

How much fuel and how much space you have for it. I carry a liter fuel bottle in the frunk of my RS but have only used it to help others. I always check routes and many have signs stating how far to the next gas station. Good suggestions above on the bigger gas container....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

2014 ST limited 2 gallons fit in saddle bag. Bought cans at Tractor Supply.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I have ridden all the places mentioned previously. No problems with fuel. Just in case, I carry a portable siphon and collapsible fuel can (a one gallon Hefty Freezer bag). I have never had to use it.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Have been few threads on this try the search bar.
    Here are few options that IMHO on top of list.
    True fuel 1Lt cans found at Lowe's & Home DepoIMG_4985.JPG
    rotopax on trailerIMG_4648.JPG(have seen vertically mounted with 1on either side giving you twin cans. )
    Daystar camcan is also a good option, mounts & locks easier I think. https://www.4wheelparts.com/Exterior...rer_PQ=Daystar
    & one im trying myself just an AUX tankIMG_5865.jpg
    actually have most the partsnow to just get it done
    Last edited by Bfromla; 11-26-2017 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Link

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruisr View Post
    Look at Rotopax...
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    When I had a Mini Trailer (Nomad) I mounted a Rotopax on it. At the time, I also had a 2013 RT Limited with the 998. Now that I have a 1330 I don't worry as much about running dry.
    Another vote for Rotopax from me!
    We used them when ATVing the back-country. Those containers can take a TON of abuse, and never leak a drop of fuel!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow!! That scenery is gorgeous!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You need to view your routes in a map program and find the gas stations before you go. There really isn’t a need to carry gas if you know where the stations are. There are quite a few places near me that have no gas for 130 miles, which is no problem as long as you don’t pass by the gas station without stopping.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You need to view your routes in a map program and find the gas stations before you go. There really isn’t a need to carry gas if you know where the stations are. There are quite a few places near me that have no gas for 130 miles, which is no problem as long as you don’t pass by the gas station without stopping.
    That is exactly what I'm saying.
    Gas often and even if you feel you dont need to when in unfamiliar territory.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OP was asking for advice on carrying extra gas "I am wondering if anyone here carries extra fuel with them? What kind of cans and how they are mounted if they do. I am looking at jerry cans vs rotopax ...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    OP was asking for advice on carrying extra gas "I am wondering if anyone here carries extra fuel with them? What kind of cans and how they are mounted if they do. I am looking at jerry cans vs rotopax ...

And my my advice is don’t carry gas, it isn’t necessary, it is potentially dangerous and it takes up valuable storage space (that will now and forever smell like gas).
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    And my advice is don’t carry gas, it isn’t necessary, it is potentially dangerous and it takes up valuable storage space (that will now and forever smell like gas).
    These are all good points. Unless going off-pavement or doing an iron-butt or battling constant head-winds, the range on a 1330 Spyder is good enough to carry between the furthest fuel stops in the lower 48. The furthest I've encountered is 165 miles between stations, well within the range of my 2014 RT.

I notice the OP is driving a 2013RT (twin) and towing a trailer. He lives near the Canadian border and may want to tour up there. So, maybe for him the prospect of running out of gas is very real no matter how much route planning he does?
    Last edited by UtahPete; 11-26-2017 at 02:19 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    From my experience in travelling to "remote" areas I found that gassing often and not allowing the fuel gauge to drop below half worked extremely well. I travelled on an MC trip to the areas you stated without any problem and on a Yamaha Stratoliner 1800cc with its measly 4 gallon tank. People I know with those extra gas tanks/cans love them at first but then are discarded for doing what I do....gas often.

Remember the golden rule: Its easier to ride to a gas station then to push to a gas station.
    (an ancient Chinese proverb written by confused)
    That too, has been my method of choice. When in doubt, fill at every chance. Keep it topped off rather than bottomed out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red