Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SXSMachine View Post
    Can Ams new Mexico plant.

The NEW $10k Spyder!!

Well, I know it wont be the Elio--they are now in their death throes. Be careful though, lets hope the new Spyder does not get that cheaply or poorly built. The one test drive (Elio) video they provided did not impress. A fender fell off in the process.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Well, I know it wont be the Elio--they are now in their death throes. Be careful though, lets hope the new Spyder does not get that cheaply or poorly built. The one test drive (Elio) video they provided did not impress. A fender fell off in the process.
    Definately hope not but for $10k you are going to not see much more that the frame wheels engine and rider I think? maybe they'll see it as a sunk cost in their future as a rider captured first to Spyders will then look for the next best Spyder in line over and over and the company wont treat that as a profit product but maybe the hot up parts? and that future equity...??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It'll be a bike born from some "Parts bin engineering".
    They've already got engines, drivetrains, frames that are easily used...
    The rest is just a question of ergonomics and window dressing!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Coz it was being thrown around I went and had a look at Patents because at $10k they have the have soime kind of magic to make it work and I didnt find any patents of anything in the way of clever little connectors or parts that would protect their investment in creating a low end bike. Its almost impossible a bin parts bike all fits together smoothly you need one or two specials to make it work, I didnt see anythng so I'll be really surprised at a "market release" of a $10k spyder, maybe you'll see a bit of a knock up version to judge market interest. Maybe it'll be in running version and maybe not. But Id be very surprised their investment in the first new Spyder that isnt their premier line not having any patent support.

On the other hand I did see the next iteration of what Bombardier are saving as the leaning version of the Spyder which may actually get a release if Honda releases their Goldwing/Valkyrie(? sic) that was lodged 2014, accepted 2016 and published. So thats closer to production to me right now on that evidence than the $10k Spyder except that it has very much the appearance of a Ski-doo.

Spyder Garage

Default VERY interesting!

The concept of a under $10,000.00 Spyder is excellent!

The sticker price of Spyders drives sales WAY down, in my opinion.

Dealers in my area don't seem to sell out of their model year Spyders the same year LOTS of carry overs even 3 years old!
    Last edited by JAS POWER; 12-20-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

One thing you can be sure of, BRP will continue to build in the safety features that you see in the current Spyders! Too much liability if they don't.
    Last edited by Pirate looks at --; 12-20-2017 at 09:50 AM.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

I am looking forward to an introductory level Spyder.
    It will be good for the brand and bring better features for us all.

When you look at what bikes are on the market for less than 10 thou (even under 9) you notice not all are de-contented. In fact some (see Yamaha and Suzuki for example), are a lot of bang for the buck.
    Think about what will be missing. GPS, cruise, blue tooth connectivity, radio, etc. not everyone needs or even wants all that. Aluminum parts vs steel? so what, steel is all over our Spyders (all under anyway)-not necessarily an indication of quality at all. Fewer body panels to deal with for service? That is not a bad thing.

I think it will bring some younger (under 50 or even under 40) people into the Spyder fold.
    That won't sit well with many here but it's actually good for us. Many people I see who ask about mine comment about the cost of a Spyder-the thinking is it takes 20 thousand plus to get on one. And mostly they are right. That's out of reach for many who would consider a switch to three wheels. Admit it, Spyders are expensive in the world of non-auto recreational riding. Will BRP get to the 10 thou number? Maybe not, but even at 11-13 thou they would sell a bunch.

I say, bring it on and good luck to BRP.
    Last edited by ofdave; 12-20-2017 at 12:18 PM.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    I hear that the dealers have been told a $10K Spyder is coming in 2019. I'm hearing on a different platform than either the F3 or RT. I know no details or even what is true/not true.. Those that do can reply and enlighten us all.

Rob

Just wanted to let everyone know that YES there will in fact be a cheaper (under $10K) Spyder joining the Spyder family for the 2019 model year, which will likely be introduced in Fall of 2018. BRP has been laying the infrastructure for the introduction for two years, as they have partnered with multiple states to create a Spyder specific riding course. BRP is continuing the discounted courses and is putting a focused and extensive effort to build these courses before the launch of an entry level product. As getting new riders, and growing the brand through a varying demographic is key, and this has and will be paramount in building the brand. So many new riders are intrigued with the Spyder but refuse to shell out $20k plus for a new machine that they have ZERO idea if they will like it or what it's about. The same person is often fearful of buying pre-owned again not knowing exactly what they are looking for, which is where an entry level Spyder is a great fit. As a dealer we are anticipating a completely new machine, what that means we also don't have an idea. From the short media video shown at their Dealer Meeting in Dallas, it looked to possibly be a single seat machine with styling queues reminiscent of both the RS/GS and the F3.

As was mentioned in several posts, the PWC segment has exploded in the last few years and IMO, the Spark has a lot to do with that, by making an enjoyable product for a price conscious shopper. We anticipate and hope that the new Spyder will have a very similar effect for the 3 wheeled market.

Spyder Garage

Default Finally clarification

Quote Originally Posted by SierraCycles View Post
    Just wanted to let everyone know that YES there will in fact be a cheaper (under $10K) Spyder joining the Spyder family for the 2019 model year, which will likely be introduced in Fall of 2018. BRP has been laying the infrastructure for the introduction for two years, as they have partnered with multiple states to create a Spyder specific riding course. BRP is continuing the discounted courses and is putting a focused and extensive effort to build these courses before the launch of an entry level product. As getting new riders, and growing the brand through a varying demographic is key, and this has and will be paramount in building the brand. So many new riders are intrigued with the Spyder but refuse to shell out $20k plus for a new machine that they have ZERO idea if they will like it or what it's about. The same person is often fearful of buying pre-owned again not knowing exactly what they are looking for, which is where an entry level Spyder is a great fit. As a dealer we are anticipating a completely new machine, what that means we also don't have an idea. From the short media video shown at their Dealer Meeting in Dallas, it looked to possibly be a single seat machine with styling queues reminiscent of both the RS/GS and the F3.

As was mentioned in several posts, the PWC segment has exploded in the last few years and IMO, the Spark has a lot to do with that, by making an enjoyable product for a price conscious shopper. We anticipate and hope that the new Spyder will have a very similar effect for the 3 wheeled market.

EXCELLENT news
    I will be looking forward to the 2019 model release, to see what they bring to the table

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

!

Spyder Garage

It will be interesting and it may be necessary depending on Yamaha entry price point to get legs in the door of dealers Vs the horrible whatever it was they called it. ech but it does open the market to new players without having to try and do it alone as a non-market distributed player.

Spyder Garage

The only way would be a lighter smaller Spyder with maybe less features or less expensive bodywork. Possibly a new smaller twin cylinder motor (think vertical twin maybe 2/3 of the current triple) and maybe with only a manual shift transmission.

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder prices

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Imagine what you would have left if you took $20,000.00 off your RT or $10,00.00 off your F3... not much..... the hounds are leaving the room muttering.." we're not pulling him around..!!"...
    Nonsense, The Spyders are vastly overpriced compared to cars-I know car volume allows price reduction. Still the Koreans could build the basic Spyders for 6000 less and still be profitable. Also, service costs are out of the park, but I admit this thing is very difficult to work on- they gave NO consideration to service. Removing the rear valve cover is a nightmare, supposed to be done to check valves, which is why it is often skipped. Fun, but not very reliable and often very difficult to service.
    Harold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Knobel View Post
    Nonsense, The Spyders are vastly overpriced compared to cars-I know car volume allows price reduction. Still the Koreans could build the basic Spyders for 6000 less and still be profitable. Also, service costs are out of the park, but I admit this thing is very difficult to work on- they gave NO consideration to service. Removing the rear valve cover is a nightmare, supposed to be done to check valves, which is why it is often skipped. Fun, but not very reliable and often very difficult to service.
    Harold
    Time will tell. We have speculated this one many times. It is either going to be good or not. The market will determine if the new proposed Spyder is going to be a winner or not. Agree about the pricing. I am pretty sure they use the "what the market will bear" pricing method--but since I am not in the cost accounting department at BRP-- Judge Judy would say--hearsay and not admissible as evidence.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Nonsense, The Spyders are vastly overpriced compared to cars-I know car volume allows price reduction. Still the Koreans could build the basic Spyders for 6000 less and still be profitable.
    Volume plays a part, certainly, but just as much, if not more, is automation. A significant portion of auto assembly is done by robots. I don't recall seeing a single robot on the Spyder assembly line at Valcourt during Homecoming visit there.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by den1953 View Post
    The only way would be a lighter smaller Spyder with maybe less features or less expensive bodywork. Possibly a new smaller twin cylinder motor (think vertical twin maybe 2/3 of the current triple) and maybe with only a manual shift transmission.
    The Have a lot of detuned ATV motors that they can whack a sportier cam in to get some more revs and keep torque. That and Rotax is in bed with them and so any and every rotax motor from glider motors etc that are quite efficient may be on the cards.

Spyder Garage

Can Am did build a new Factory this year down in Mexico Juarez so that will have a significant role in cost I believe they will need to build the cheaper version down there.

Spyder Garage

Honestly...

Who here would even want a $10k spyder?

It certainly is going to have a smaller motor, and very limited creature comforts. My bet is that none of us would buy one. If they are making a budget model it will be for an entirely different demographic.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Harold
    Interesting comment. I'm a 2005, GW/2012 Road Smith conversion, and lurk on this Spyder forum, just looking. I love the configuration of the RTL especially, but that 'going in price' scares me, so I scan the classifieds for the 2014 thru 2016; the maintenance scares me and I'm not one of those who can afford the high dealer costs. I could conceivable 'DIY' but getting a bit long in the tooth to be pulling tupperware. Anyway, color me 'simply looking' and enjoy the read.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Interesting comment. I'm a 2005, GW/2012 Road Smith conversion, and lurk on this Spyder forum, just looking. I love the configuration of the RTL especially, but that 'going in price' scares me, so I scan the classifieds for the 2014 thru 2016; the maintenance scares me and I'm not one of those who can afford the high dealer costs. I could conceivable 'DIY' but getting a bit long in the tooth to be pulling tupperware. Anyway, color me 'simply looking' and enjoy the read.

If you are used to working on a Goldwing, tupperware is no stranger to you. I have assisted fellow riders that own GWs and while I do not service them, I have seen they are every bit as complex to undress for service as any Spyder. Actually the F3 is far easier to service than what I saw of the GW. The Spyder is different, but no more difficult.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    Honestly...

Who here would even want a $10k spyder?

It certainly is going to have a smaller motor, and very limited creature comforts. My bet is that none of us would buy one. If they are making a budget model it will be for an entirely different demographic.
    Hi WackyDan, I have a 2105 F3-S and I would certainly buy a 10k Spyder. I would keep my F3-S for long motorway distances like I do to Kent every year (Just over 200 miles from where I live) and have the 10k Spyder has a run around toy around the city. Can Am bring on the budget model Spyder you have a customer here in the UK.
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd buy one today as long as the riding position wasn't a cruiser style and it had enough power. Based on the weight of the Spyders from 2008-2018 I don't think most riders (even new ones) would be happy with a bike with less than 100hp unless the new model is on a serious weight reduction program. I'd welcome a lighter model as well.

Bare bones features, very little tupperware, sport riding position, decent power to weight ratio. I'd be all over it. Probably buy 2, one for me and the wife.

Spyder Garage

Time will tell how many "buyers" are going to bite. Not me. I am not going from a Cadillac to an entry level Chevy.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"ProjectS",(Or whatever they call it); isn't aimed at us; and it never was intended to replace our GS/RS/RT/F-3.
    It's aimed at the new rider, or the rider who is looking for an "Around-Town" ride, and little more. Just like Darren suggested!
    I'd get one for my Missus, if she wanted one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SierraCycles View Post

Tonight is your night yes? The big reveal?
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.