RT-S PE#0230
    Spyder Garage

Default I Love My Spyder.....but....

I purchased a brand spanking new 2009 SE 5 Spyder on April 21st of this year. I now have about 1400 miles on it and I have reserved saying anything about it until I have ridden for a while. First off, I gotta say the Spyder has and will continue to turn heads and start more conversations than I could ever begin to tell. If I was a "hey, look at me !!" kind of guy then the Spyder has met all my expectations. However I am not that kind of guy, I bought my Spyder because, due to a disability I cannot hold nor shift a regular 2 wheeler. I had my first service done to the tune of 1300.00 dollars (i added the BRP backrest/sport rack). The seat on the Spyder is very uncomfortable, does anyone have any ideas that wont cost me an arm and a leg? My Spyder idles at 1400rpm and smells as though it is burning too rich. Is this normal? It tends to bog down when starting from a dead stop. Is this normal? The foot pegs are awful and extremely uncomfortable. Is there a way to install a floorboard and if so, is it very expensive? Finally the Spyder seems as though it sits very low. I know that this is part of the appeal but is there a way to raise the spyder? I know it has the adjustable shock, but before I mess with it will it give me the rise I need when I adjust it?
    Sorry the post is so long but I really value the opinions on this syte and I would appreciate any helpful input.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by reconspyder View Post
    I purchased a brand spanking new 2009 SE 5 Spyder on April 21st of this year. I now have about 1400 miles on it and I have reserved saying anything about it until I have ridden for a while. First off, I gotta say the Spyder has and will continue to turn heads and start more conversations than I could ever begin to tell. If I was a "hey, look at me !!" kind of guy then the Spyder has met all my expectations. However I am not that kind of guy, I bought my Spyder because, due to a disability I cannot hold nor shift a regular 2 wheeler. I had my first service done to the tune of 1300.00 dollars (i added the BRP backrest/sport rack). The seat on the Spyder is very uncomfortable, does anyone have any ideas that wont cost me an arm and a leg? My Spyder idles at 1400rpm and smells as though it is burning too rich. Is this normal? It tends to bog down when starting from a dead stop. Is this normal? The foot pegs are awful and extremely uncomfortable. Is there a way to install a floorboard and if so, is it very expensive? Finally the Spyder seems as though it sits very low. I know that this is part of the appeal but is there a way to raise the spyder? I know it has the adjustable shock, but before I mess with it will it give me the rise I need when I adjust it?
    Sorry the post is so long but I really value the opinions on this syte and I would appreciate any helpful input.
    Recon,
    The first thing I would do if I were you is take some time and check out the mods part of this forum. There are some very inventive ways to make the spyder more comfortable for you. Everyone is different and has different needs. You will see a lot of choices and opinions, all you have to do is find what you think is best for you. Also, I think you will find the NMN handlebar risers will do what you need instead of actually raising the spyder. I am not really sure if you want the spyder to be higher off the ground, it you want to sit higher or if you want to be up straighter. I know you can add almost an inch in height to your seat by simply putting on a bead rider on the seat.

The next thing you should do is use your search function. There are so many threads on the seat and the floorboards and such that you will find a lot of really good reading. Enjoy your spyder and I hope you are able to make it everything you want.
    Deb
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

The 1400 rpm is normal. Shouldn't smell rich, but you may be smelling the evap canister. It also takes a while for the oil and such to get cooked out of the exhaust sytem, and for the paint on the muffler to season (and show the inevitable burn spot). Sorry, adding preload to the shocks will stiffen them, but will not raise the Spyder. Other than a Russel, Corbin, BRP, or other custom seat, something like an Airhawk pad might help your seating comfort. Like Deb said, check the mods or search for other specific needs. There is a wide variety and lots of old posts out there. welcome
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Seat comfort?

One word: CORBIN !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Seat comfort?

One word: CORBIN !
    Corbin?

One word: OUCH!

We all have different anatomies, and mine is allergic to Corbin bricks. I envy those that find comfort in them.
    -Scotty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Corbin?

One word: OUCH!

We all have different anatomies, and mine is allergic to Corbin bricks. I envy those that find comfort in them.
    -Scotty
    Interesting... I find the corbin much softer than the stock but have heard that each corbin feels different LOL
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Spyder Garage
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

My guess is that those that don't like Corbin seats only rode on one for a short time - didn't allow it to break in to your body and weight. They are not 'hard' by any means - they are 'firm' - big difference.

There were a few times early in having it that I thought twice about it - mainly because of feeling more 'forward' - like sliding forward on the seat. After 500 miles or so the seat is broken in to my shape and weight and the 'forward' issue is no longer an issue.

Still not sold on the backrest - but the rest of the seat is AWESOME.

The stock BRP seat SUCKS. Way too cushy for more than an hour or so ride. I have my doubts that their 'comfort' seat will be much better - so I went with a company that knows seats about as good as anyone.

They look great too! Probably going to order a smuggler trunk as they just look so cool!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    My guess is that those that don't like Corbin seats only rode on one for a short time - didn't allow it to break in to your body and weight. They are not 'hard' by any means - they are 'firm' - big difference.
    I have had five Corbin seats over the years. All were well broken in. I even endured one of the miserable things five years. Unfortunately, for my skinny little backside, they are more than firm, they are rock hard! They also curve the wrong way for my anatomy. The Spyder seat is actually about the most comfortable stock seat I have ever encountered...for my particular needs. We are all built differently, and what works great for some makes others miserable. No reflection on Corbin, just what applies to me.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Understand they don't work for you - but have you had one made to fit your anatomy? I guess if you're a pretty light person the stock Spyder seat might work okay - but anything over 170 and I think it's like sitting on spongy cheap foam.

Corbin makes the seat specific to your weight and how you sit (as good as they can via long distance unless you're near them) - which makes a big difference. The idea of a 'catch-all' seat that will provide good comfort(aka Spyder stock) for people from 100lbs up to 300lbs isn't realistic in my opinion.