Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 27mph winds. Gusts to 41mph. Would you ride?

It's such a nice day, except for those damn winds! Would you go out and fight those winds or save the riding for another day?
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Default A Workout...

I would go even in the wind. It is a workout but the spyder tracks nicely.... you on the otherhand will blow around in the wind. I find a relaxed mode and go with the flow and it is not all that bad. If you fight it you will feel it at the end of the day....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default everyone knows it Windy

That's pretty typical when I ride from Minnesota to South Dakota. Seems I start getting nailed right after Wilmar.. Just think of it as an ab workout. Party on
    Grandpa Pete
    Peter & Kim Pontinen
    2020 RTL Dark Marsala

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We do it (ride in the wind). Lately it seems we're getting more and more of it.

Spyder Garage

Default winds

I have driving in high winds on my two wheeler, found out later I had driven through a trough of tornadoes thru Texas. Quite the experience riding at a 45 degree angle with a ton of rain. The spyder I found did quite well when I was going through Atlanta with gust up to 50.

I would rather drive in nice dry and sunny with a temp of 70 degrees but does not happen that often
    Done all of Canada except NWT and parts of Australia, New Zealand and areas of Europe

Spyder Garage

Default Wind

We live in Las Vegas and wind is frequently an issue. When it's windy, we choose to ride on city streets and just run errands and go look at other people's expensive homes. At low speeds in the city, it's still fun to ride, we don't need hearing protection and the wind isn't much of an issue. By comparison, wind like you describe would be really unpleasant out on the highway in the middle of the desert or in the mountains, especially if it's kicking up dust, too.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I would go even in the wind. It is a workout but the spyder tracks nicely.... you on the otherhand will blow around in the wind. I find a relaxed mode and go with the flow and it is not all that bad. If you fight it you will feel it at the end of the day....
    An absolute, BIG +1, particularly if you have a BajaRon sway bar and a good laser alignment.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

That’s a pretty typical day in Las Vegas. We rode to southern CA on Friday in those exact conditions and it isn’t a big deal. Dodged some tumbleweeds and the intercom can get annoying when the wind opens the microphone but the Spyder handles great.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

40 mph winds should not be an issue on the --if you are aware and can keep it in control safely. We have done it many times.

1980's in the Badlands National Park. Riding a Yamaha Venture Touring, winds gusting 60 to 80 mph. We had to lean into the wind to keep from getting blown over. The wind dehydrated us so much that we stopped at the Cedar Pass Lodge and drank a couple quarts of ice water along with our meal. Amazing, I can still remember that ride in detail.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I had to once when I bought my Spyder and had to drive it home from Palm Springs.
    Winds through the pass were easily this speed with gusts probably more. And not head on or tail on but side on!

It was rough at first as I was a new Spyder rider. But over few miles I got to see how the Spyder handled it and it was way better than I expected. More body buffeting than the Spyder moving around. In fact the Spyder behaved well. The only time things got a little scary (and I mean a little) was passing big rigs. I am sure we have all been driving a car and when you pass the big rig your blocked then BAM wind again. Same thing on the Spyder but again nothing exiciting in response. Just don't over control.

Would I do it again? I wouldn't go do it just to have a casual ride that day but I would do it if I needed to get somewhere. e.g. like on a trip and no choice. In no way would I let it hold up my trip unless I had all the time to spare and did not care to be somewhere.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 11-19-2017 at 04:03 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Yes I would ( and have ) ride in winds /gusts like those you mention.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Actually I did have to do it again one time coming down the 5 freeway from Redding to LA.
    It was blowing like stink. Nothing I could not handle EXCEPT the dirt storms from dried up farms and tumbleweeds!
    Dodging giant tumblers, almost as high as you are, flying across the freeway at 65 is not fun.
    Getting a sand blasting is also not fun! When I got home, I had sand in my underwear...

Even geared up, the wind sucks the mositure from you.
    CARRY PLENTY OF WATER! Stop when you are tired and take a break even if for just 15 minutes.

Finally, plan gas well! Head on winds make you suck more gas. A lot more!

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 11-19-2017 at 04:12 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Winds and Riding

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSkeets View Post
    It's such a nice day, except for those damn winds! Would you go out and fight those winds or save the riding for another day?
    Unfortunately, this area of Canada suffers from some interesting winds at times. The bottom line is that riding in them is not an issue, as opposed to two-wheel motorcycles.
    Go out and enjoy.
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

Don't mind the cold as much as I do the wind - hate it even when the the temps are reasonable. However, my limit is about 45F and it wasn't much warmer than that today. Tuesday will be nicer.
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

You really call THAT a wind ? ha ha ha...don't make me laugh.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Went through Oklahoma and Northern Texas last May. There were Tornados all around and winds were 40-60 mph+. I survived.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Big difference if it is a head/tail wind vs 90-degree crosswind. I was riding two up and found we were, in essence, a huge "sail." With a 40+ mph crosswind that was a surprise after clearing a "protected from the wind" area, I was in the oncoming lane before I figured out my predicament. I opted for straight into the ditch rather than rolling it trying to correct in the side gravel.
    I was extremely lucky that I was in an area without the fenced barbed wire found a few hundred feet down the road.

It took me awhile to get my confidence back to where I ride if wind is projected to be above 20 mph.

Spyder Garage

Default Wind

Yup. Kinda fun, really. Every trip thru New Mexico is exactly like that!!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Here, in southern Minnesota, if you aren't going to ride in the wind, you aren't going to ride. Like many others, we get a kick out of hearing that some part of the country is suffering with 20 or 25 MPH winds. That is pretty normal here.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question: Do you normally ride less than "27, to 41 mph"?
    Then why would you let a gentle breeze bother you?
    It'll clean the cobwebs out of your head: get out there and RIDE!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default possibly

I live a little way north of Amarillo; according to the NWS, the windiest city in the country. We see winds like in the picture on a regular basis. My personal limit for riding for enjoyment is about 30mph although I have ridden in much higher winds out of necessity. Most of my riding has been on two wheelers. Having lived in this area all my life, riding in the wind is kind of a given if you want to ride more than four days a year when it's calm.

All that said, my bikes are much more stable in heavy cross winds than the Spyder provided you can keep the speed up to at least 70mph. The R1100RT (pictured) is especially good at handling cross winds due to the design of the full fairing. On it, above 70mph the aerodynamics of the fairing pretty much negate any wind until it reaches speeds over 60mph.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Default No worries....go ryde..

Only weather that has stopped my ryding is when the roads are snow/ice covered... Been in some serious winds (above 45 mph).our Spyders are incredibly stable...those cross winds sure do "snap" my head and neck Tho!!
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Just think of it as a challenge or maybe a new adventure. If your on a long trip and get caught out in a storm you still have to ride to get where your going. So just embrace the moment and ride it like you stole it. Have fun, be safe and enjoy the day.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PapaHotel View Post
    Big difference if it is a head/tail wind vs 90-degree crosswind. I was riding two up and found we were, in essence, a huge "sail." With a 40+ mph crosswind that was a surprise after clearing a "protected from the wind" area, I was in the oncoming lane before I figured out my predicament. I opted for straight into the ditch rather than rolling it trying to correct in the side gravel.
    I was extremely lucky that I was in an area without the fenced barbed wire found a few hundred feet down the road.

It took me awhile to get my confidence back to where I ride if wind is projected to be above 20 mph.
    Up here in Chicago (the wnidy city) we have winds but not usually as bad as out in the plains although we are a flat state. The Spyder is sooooo much better than a 2 wheeler. It does get scary when you come out of a protected area into a flat unprotected area. I've had many a scary ride on 2 wheels in the wind. It takes alot to make us not ride but some days the wind was toooo much. Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I live a little way north of Amarillo; according to the NWS, the windiest city in the country. We see winds like in the picture on a regular basis. My personal limit for riding for enjoyment is about 30mph although I have ridden in much higher winds out of necessity. Most of my riding has been on two wheelers. Having lived in this area all my life, riding in the wind is kind of a given if you want to ride more than four days a year when it's calm.

All that said, my bikes are much more stable in heavy cross winds than the Spyder provided you can keep the speed up to at least 70mph. The R1100RT (pictured) is especially good at handling cross winds due to the design of the full fairing. On it, above 70mph the aerodynamics of the fairing pretty much negate any wind until it reaches speeds over 60mph.
    In 2013 we were returning to Las Vegas after attending Spyderfest and Amarillo was its usual windy self. So much so that a few weeks later we were making some mods to my new RT and I found someone’s City of Amarillo Water Bill from 2009 had blown onto the interstate and found its way between two belly panels on the bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622