Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Requesting advice on buying out of state

Hi SpyderLovers!
    I've been looking at a few different online (CycleTrader, CraigsList, etc), thinking maybe I can score a deal as the colder weather is kicking in, year-end, yadda yadda...

I've found a couple of options that might be within riding distance, plus/minus 200 miles, considering its in the 40's here in New Jersey, even 200 miles might be a stretch for a Spyder newbie, but will have to see about that. Also a couple of options that would probably require shipping, i.e. much further than I'd probably want to ride at this moment.

As a potential first-timer, I wanted to get some advice on buying from an out of state seller...maybe a dealer, maybe not...maybe new, maybe not...for instance:
    1. Dealer X has a "new" 2016 ST-S in Kalamazoo...
    2. Dealer Y has a trade-in 2014 ST-L in Tampa...
    3. Joey B Donuts has a used 2013 ST in Dallas...

Specifically...
    What would you do to pursue one of these options, presently sight-unseen?
    Would you fly out to check one of these out first, knowing you'd have to have it shipped back?
    How would you arrange paying for the deal knowing you might not be on-site when a shipping company comes? Planning a straight purchase, not financing...
    What about letting a private seller versus a dealer be the point-person for a shipping company?

Other things to consider that I've not mentioned or thought to ask yet?
    Not "which one would you buy"...

Thanks in advance!
    Rap
    Last edited by Raprider; 11-16-2017 at 11:55 PM.
    2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rap, have you done your research on the different models? The 14 RT has the 1330 Motor and the others don’t, the riding position is also very different on the two models. I think first you should know which model you really want.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Tough one....

Dealers are a fairly safe bet and most check their units out.
    Things to consider....distance and cost of shipping....sales taxes and registration costs once in your possession in your state.... mileage if a used unit....condition is an visual and opinion so if a personal visit is possible worth it but expensive if there is no deal. Few things to consider
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Hi SpyderAnn01...
    Yes, I'm leaning towards the ST line...I was just giving examples...but will edit my original post for clarity.
    Thanks!
    2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up 2014 rts

I have one of these and it has been great. I strongly suggest the 1330 motor. If your touring and or traveling two up --- the RT is your ticket.

I would go see it in person and make my best deal. Dealer may do strange things when he sees thousands in cash.

Lew L

PS: Make a few day vacation down in Florida ---- might be a nice change from the cooler temps up north.
    Last edited by Lew L; 11-16-2017 at 11:57 PM.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Buying out of state

That's exactly what I did this past summer.

I rode my 2004 VStar 1100 to Kalamazoo, MI from Massachusetts. I traded it in for a 2017 RT at a FANTASTIC price (LeadersRPM).

I researched a lot and was willing to ride to Illinois for great deals from one of the big dealers there.

It was completely worth it. I saved THOUSANDS and they treated me really, really well. Wife wants one next year and if we buy I'm headed back to Kalamazoo.

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

I'd go with Joey B Donuts. The name exude confidence and honesty.

Just to be a little serious for a second, before buying a Spyder, have you thought about who will be performing maintenance? There have been an over abundance of posts concerning bad service depts. at BRP Can Am dealerships. If you're going to rely on a dealership, you may just want to check to see how far you are going to have to travel to get good service, before making a final purchase. You might change your tune about buying a spyder.
    Last edited by wyliec; 11-17-2017 at 08:01 AM.

Spyder Garage

Frankly, unless the prices on these are considerably lower than what you could find (relatively) local, I would stay local. 1. Whatever money you might save is going to be spent on flying out to these locations. Even if you still ended up having some money, is that amount saved really worth it? 2. Consider the cost of shipping the vehicle. 3. Buying anything un-seen is risky. You just never know. Even if it comes from a dealer who warranties it, who is going to honor the warranty? (Unless it still has BRP warranty honored at all dealers nationwide). 4. Having a relationship with a dealer from which you buy is better, I think.
    If you are still considering buying out of state, I would think financing would be the same. American money is American money. It doesn't matter where it comes from. I'm sure the dealer can get financing set up over the phone and finalized when picked up. If it financed another way, getting that money, or check to the seller should be easy enough.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Rap, have you done your research on the different models? The 14 RT has the 1330 Motor and the others don’t, the riding position is also very different on the two models. I think first you should know which model you really want.
    He said ST not RT Ann. He probably means RT????????

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick