Spyder Garage

Default Looking for advise on some tools.

Well in the cold weather I have a few projects on my 2012 RT. I am changing the tires. I am not a mechanic, but how hard can it be, with all the Spyder help out there. I know I need to buy some tools, and have a few questions. I need to get a tourque wrench. For those tools folks out there - do I buy a 1/2 " 1/4" or 3/8"? Also need to buy a 36mm socket and wrench - best place to buy? I have already purchased Torx, Hex, metric drivers, lift etc. to do some minor stuff, so I dont need those. What else does a good Spyder tool chest need?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Ken View Post
    Well in the cold weather I have a few projects on my 2012 RT. I am changing the tires. I am not a mechanic, but how hard can it be, with all the Spyder help out there. I know I need to buy some tools, and have a few questions. I need to get a tourque wrench. For those tools folks out there - do I buy a 1/2 " 1/4" or 3/8"? Also need to buy a 36mm socket and wrench - best place to buy? I have already purchased Torx, Hex, metric drivers, lift etc. to do some minor stuff, so I dont need those. What else does a good Spyder tool chest need?
    Go on E bay I purchased the Socket an open end and box end 36mm wrench real cheap and they work great. If you are going to purchase just one torque wrench you better get a 1/2" drive. I purchased a 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4" drive from Harbor Freight and they are not very expensive. You can buy about everything you would need from Harbor Freight.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Do your self a favor----- you have bought expensive transportation------ purchase decent tools. I have broken HF tools, some are made poorly and some are OK. The large 36 mm from HF will be ok as your are removing a plastic nut. get a 24" breaker bar and a torque wrench.

Good luck, Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default 36mm

by advise is to leave the rear wheel to your dealer... too much can go very wrong for a novice... you'll also save on that 36mm socket and Torque Wrench.... front wheels are a piece of cake... jack up your SPYD3R, remove the wheels, bring them to your local tire shop, have new ones mounted/balanced, return home and install...
    your best bet for tools, is the 3/8" drive, which is the most common and available...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default If I were you....

A great place to start is go to
    SEARS tool dept. and get a basic tool
    assortment slong with thetork wrench
    1/2 in drive.
    Then you would have most every thing you would
    need to do simple repairs on your new spyder.
    Ride Safe
    Welcome to Spyder Lovers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Ken View Post

Spyder Garage

The three different size drives you mentioned, correspond to different size ranges of sockets. 1/4 is on the small side, 3/8 medium and 1/2" is for the larger sockets. I see lots of sets advertised by the big box stores for anywhere from 60-70 on up. They tend to come with both SAE and metric, though nowadays, very few things are made with SAE sizes but metric only seems to be difficult if not impossible to find. And they come with an assortment of open end and box wrenches. What is nice about these sets is that they come in box or case that holds them all in a nice organized fashion, and you can carry them easily in a car or store in the house. Quality of these sets is pretty good, not snapon or proto, but good, serviceable tools.

You will also need a torx set for all the body panels and I would have a set of hex drives for the socket wrench as well as T handle wrenches.

Don't discount tools from harbor freight. Some of their sockets and wrenches are pretty well made. I have their 1/2" torque wrench that was probably less than 20 bucks, but works very well.

Also look for a good volt/ohm meter. These too can be had very cheap but with pretty good quality.

As for the 36MM socket, if that is to drop the rear wheel, I wouldn't suggest that be the first major project working on the bike unless you have been wrenching for quite a while. And since you are asking about buying a set, I'm thinking that may not be the case. Good luck.
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Ooo...🤔

Depends on how much you will be doing and how often. I have top of the line down to junk...They all serve their purpose. Harbor freight has some good tools in this area. The prices are inviting and for what you are going to work on the place to go. Torque wrench you can do everything on the spider with a 3/8th if you have thosesize sockets. If you have 1/2" you can get adapters to step up or down. 1/4" not needed...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Harbor Freight's Pittsburgh hand tools now have a lifetime warranty. So they may be cheap and may break but you can get a replacement free. My rule of thumb is, if you're going to use it once or twice, get HF. If you might end up using it a lot, spend the money and get some good tools.

As for torque wrenches, get the 1/2in drive. Then get the 1/2-3/8 adapter in case you need to size down.

Unless you plan on spending $$$ for Snap-On, most brands including good old Craftsman are now made in China, so a decent set of mechanic's tools from Lowes / Menards etc will be fine unless you're making a living as a mechanic.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow