Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Do Motorcycle Trailers require licensing in Texas?

I just bought a used trailer to pull behind my Spyder. The seller had no title, and tells me he "doesn't think" a trailer under 4,000 lbs requires plates. He's never had one on it. It's a commercially manufactured trailer, but there is no VIN plate or anything like that. The trailer is a few years old, and has no place to even put a license plate. I've seen lots of trailers behind bikes, and I think most or all of them had plates. Anybody know for sure? The TXDOT websites are not clear to me at all on this topic.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

You should probably check with Texas DMV to find out for sure. Most states require title and license plate. Got to get that extra $15 or so out of everyone who uses the roads and facilities in the State.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Good information. Thanks for posting.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by classicvw View Post
    As I said, I've checked this site and it's still not clear to me. This seems to provide clear guidelines for trailers over 4000 pounds, but what about under?

Spyder Garage

IMO--if your under 4,000 limit (and I don't know about the trailer wt), you should be all right. But--trust but verify. A visit to the DMV or a call to a real person might be in order for you.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I agree with akspyderman. You need to complete the U-130 form marked for registration only and take it to your DMV office with the bill of sale and the appropriate number of shekels to get your registration and tag.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

We have a RT-622 and when we went down to register, they just needed the bill of sale and the previous registration. Ours did have a title, but the lady said it wasn't required for trailers under 4k lbs. But we went ahead and had the title changed since it had one anyways. Just in case we move out of state down the road.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-man View Post
    As I said, I've checked this site and it's still not clear to me. This seems to provide clear guidelines for trailers over 4000 pounds, but what about under?
    It's clear to me that over 4000lbs gross weight needs a title.
    Under 4000 needs a bill of sale and a previous registration.

Spyder Garage

Bought a new RT in Texas in 2014. Also bought a single axle, 77" x 10' open trailer to haul it. They gave me a temp plate until I returned to Georgia. So I'd say yes, you need a plate.
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I read it as saying ALL trailers pulled on a public road must be registered. Only those over 4000 GVW must be titled. Title does not equal registration.

Louisiana requires title and registration for all trailers. Idaho requires title only of those over 2,000 lbs. When I moved from LA to Idaho I brought my trailer with me. Since Idaho didn't require it to be titled I just registered it. I have an Idaho registration and Louisiana title on it!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I have a 5' x 8' that had to be registered and tagged. It is not even close to the 4000lb GVW number.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Thanks all. I called the TX DMV, and the genius I talked to was also vague, but did appear to confirm what y’all are saying. It’s never been registered, but I’ll bring the bill of sale in and see what they want me to do. I’ll probably refer to it as homemade since that seems to be the least hassle.

Spyder Garage

Thanks all. I called the TX DMV, and the genius I talked to was also vague, but did appear to confirm what y’all are saying. It’s never been registered, but I’ll bring the bill of sale in and see what they want me to do. I’ll probably refer to it as homemade since that seems to be the least hassle.
    I was planning to build my own several years ago and did some checking with TxDOT and DMV; home-made trailers are required to have an inspection by DMV. That could be more of a hassle; something to think about beforehand. If it was manufactured by a shop somewhere, there should be some kind of markings on it indicating that. My little trailer was made by Texas Bragg Trailers and has stamped markings just behind the hitch that are hard to see, but there. They show manufacturer, date of mfg, wgt. rating and a VIN#.

Spyder Garage

Check everywhere for a VIN sticker or plate. I was always used to older trailers that had a stamped, raised VIN somewhere but a sticker can be placed in tight places such as under a square tube axle.

Also, If your DMV office gives you a hassle, try another office! I'm serious. Different DMV workers in many instances, interpret the rules differently.

I recently bought a used Kendon trailer from out of state (NY State). NY does not title a trailer. In NY, the paper registration is all they need to prove ownership. So, I brought the PO's NY reg. and a Bill of Sale that we filled out ourselves to NJ DMV. NJ said the B.O.S. needed to be notarized. So back and forth to the PO thru the mail it went. I then returned with it to NJ DMV. I was told to go home and make a pencil tracing of the VIN and return with that and the paperwork. When I looked for the VIN, it wasn't a stamped on thing, nor was it an attached VIN plate, but was a white VIN sticker. And the sticker had a scratch on it going right thru a few letters of the VIN! I was convinced I was screwed. I took photos and returned to the DMV. After waiting in line, I was face to face with a different DMV worker than my previous visit. I laid out all my paperwork, including the photos, and started to speak about the VIN sticker's scratch. She shook her head and cut me off and said "We don't need all that stuff" and pushed it back across the counter to me. In two minutes she handed me my registration !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I read it as saying ALL trailers pulled on a public road must be registered. . . .
    Not so. It depends on the State. Kansas will not register trailers under a certain weight. So I go around the country without tags on my pull-behind trailer and my Aluma flat-bed.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Most all trailers in TX need a tag, only exempt are farm trailers. You will need the bill of sale with the vin# on it. There should be a vin# on the frame somewhere, the manufacturer would have stamped it in two places as a general rule. If there is no vin# you will need to request one from DMV. You can usually get this done at your local tax office, have fun.

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I bought a trailer to pll behind rt and my buddy just had the renewal notice I told the guy at dmv I paid 150 had to pay tax on that but I got a plate and tag it has no vin and doesn't need any tx law any trailer on the road needs a plate andtag the sad news is the tag is just as much as my truck tag basically one size fits all here in txs

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Not so. It depends on the State. Kansas will not register trailers under a certain weight. So I go around the country without tags on my pull-behind trailer and my Aluma flat-bed.
    To clarify, I was referring to the TX law. All trailers owned by TX residents pulled on highways must be registered in TX.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    I bought a trailer to pll behind rt and my buddy just had the renewal notice I told the guy at dmv I paid 150 had to pay tax on that but I got a plate and tag it has no vin and doesn't need any tx law any trailer on the road needs a plate andtag the sad news is the tag is just as much as my truck tag basically one size fits all here in txs
    Unless there were other circumstances, you need to talk to the person who charged you the same fee as for your truck. From this site, https://www.texascarregistration.org/fees, the fees are not the same for trailers as for passenger cars and trucks. granted the fees are not that far apart, but not the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I’ll probably refer to it as homemade since that seems to be the least hassle.
    Not a legal option according to what I read. You might get by doing that but if a mfr name comes up plan on conforming to the rules for mfg'd trailers.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I have a 5' x 8' that had to be registered and tagged. It is not even close to the 4000lb GVW number.
    Registered and tagged, yes. Titled, no. Don't confuse the two requirements.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Registered and tagged, yes. Titled, no. Don't confuse the two requirements.
    I'm not confusing the two, the OP asked a couple of questions. I addressed the part about registered and tagged; that's all. Mine also has a title even though it is not required for one of it's size.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I'm not confusing the two, the OP asked a couple of questions. I addressed the part about registered and tagged; that's all. Mine also has a title even though it is not required for one of it's size.
    To be fair, it did seem you confused the two when you mentioned registered and tagged and then said it wasn't close to the 4,000lb weight number. Over 4,000lb - title. Under 4,000lb no title.

Spyder Garage

Yup, you need a plate...

Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.