Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Hate to hear of your accident, but glad your on the mend. I was in a bike accident about 15 years ago and broke 6 ribs. So you got me beat by 3. The hardest thing to not do, is cough, laugh or sneeze when you got broken ribs. Hope your back on 3 wheels soon.
    Last edited by Ex-Rocket; 11-08-2017 at 10:58 AM.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your accident. Heal quickly.
    A mini-gun ( 3600 rounds/min should nicely)
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

So sorry about the crash. Some people leap before they look. Many wishes on a speedy recovery get well soon. You have all winter to recover so you can get a new ride and come enjoy riding again. Get well my friend.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are on the mend. I like the machine gun idea, maybe Machinegunner Ron could help you out with the execution (pun intended)
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Fast healings

I'm glad you made it through this, and sorry for your broken ribs. Having broke four when I went down on my two wheeler I know the pains. I can not imagine the pain from vomiting with broken ribs, as it hurt so much just to sneeze. Heal fast.

Quote Originally Posted by sandeejs View Post
    So, I was returning from having breakfast/lunch at the chinese buffet. Ryding at the speed limit - 35mph. A car pulls into the street, perpendicular to me. About 15 or 20 feet away. AND STOPS! As soon as the thought - "I can't avoid him" - went halfway through my mind, boom. Came to in the ambulance, as the EMTs were holding my head steady; I was on a back board. Suggested to them they could tape the helmet to the board. They responded "that's disgusting".

At the hospital, they cut off my clothes: MY FAVORITE JEANS!!! and stuck me into a CT scanner. The back pain I had was not my spine, but 9 broken ribs. Ugh. 4 days in the hospital. First 2 spent vomiting, because oxy and norco make me sick. Home now, relaxing and healing.

Sent my son to retrieve my belongings from byke. Explained how to open the Frunk, he reported back to me that the frunk cover was no where to be found. He did figure out how to get my stuff, mostly.

Byke was totalled out. It was paid for; that had to be why the accident happened. The financial settlement will give me a good head start on a new Spyder.

So, has anyone installed machine guns in front of their byke to handle situations like the one I faced? The cop who did the investigation stopped by my hospital room to tell me it was not my fault, the car driver was at fault. Debated giving up riding, but I guess I just can't.

~Sandee~
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Default machine gun

Thanks, Stumpy. What do you think about the machine guns? Would they be legal if I only used them in self-defence?
    ~Sandee~

Machine gun to messy, a projectile wedge that splits the car in two and lets you drive thru is much better but you may get a little blood on you
    Done all of Canada except NWT and parts of Australia, New Zealand and areas of Europe

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Accident

So, I was returning from having breakfast/lunch at the chinese buffet. Ryding at the speed limit - 35mph. A car pulls into the street, perpendicular to me. About 15 or 20 feet away. AND STOPS! As soon as the thought - "I can't avoid him" - went halfway through my mind, boom. Came to in the ambulance, as the EMTs were holding my head steady; I was on a back board. Suggested to them they could tape the helmet to the board. They responded "that's disgusting".

At the hospital, they cut off my clothes: MY FAVORITE JEANS!!! and stuck me into a CT scanner. The back pain I had was not my spine, but 9 broken ribs. Ugh. 4 days in the hospital. First 2 spent vomiting, because oxy and norco make me sick. Home now, relaxing and healing.

Sent my son to retrieve my belongings from byke. Explained how to open the Frunk, he reported back to me that the frunk cover was no where to be found. He did figure out how to get my stuff, mostly.

Byke was totalled out. It was paid for; that had to be why the accident happened. The financial settlement will give me a good head start on a new Spyder.

So, has anyone installed machine guns in front of their byke to handle situations like the one I faced? The cop who did the investigation stopped by my hospital room to tell me it was not my fault, the car driver was at fault. Debated giving up riding, but I guess I just can't.

~Sandee~
    I'm sure "Q" could provide James Bond with a machine gun outfitted Spyder. The only location a barrel or two could be mounted would be using the unused faux light slots. Provided you were riding or buying an RT.
    My stepson was on his Yamaha 800 on his way to work from Hemet, California when he was hit by a motorist. The bike was totaled, but he required complete reconstructive surgery on the jaw, And two additional surgeries on a leg.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I got the "missing" belt guard for my now deceased 2010 Spyder RT. Will I need one on a newer model - 2014 or newer?
    And - are the windshield risers still that fragile part that broke twice on my 2010?

Are yellow spyders still the fastest?

~Sandee~
    If you're going to be riding on gravel then yes, you should get the belt guard. That part of the Spyder hasn't changed much at all.

Glad to know you didn't get hurt any worse than you did.

Way back about 30 years ago I dumped my Kawasaki 440 to avoid running into the back of a car at a traffic light. Several weeks later a guy asked me how I was doing. I told him the finger I had crushed in the accident still hurt. His response, "That's OK. It'll quit hurting in about two years!" You know, it was about two years before the last of the occasional twinges stopped occurring. So, if your ribs let you know every once in awhile that they were abused, don't worry. They will eventually stop giving you the occasional twinge.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your misfortune! You display a great attitude!

I suggest forgetting the machine gun. What I want is to replace the high beam/ low beam switch with one that includes the option for laser beam and vaporizes the obstacle (or car) ahead of me. It would prevent incidents like you had and also be a practical solution for the person going 50mph in the fast lane of a 70mph highway.

Spyder Garage

Another here is glad to hear you are going to heal and get better. Our thoughts and are with you for a quick recovery.

Also glad to hear you are not giving up riding.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad things weren't worse and you are on the mend! As far as machine guns, I don't think that's enough. Sometimes anything short of a howitzer would be a waste but that's over the weight capacity of a spyder. I'm thinking an RPG or equivalent would work best for cagers having a stupid moment. Get Well!!!!
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Glad it was not worse! Praying for a quick and complete recovery.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    I have seen lots of cagers do crazy stuff.
    Did the cop check for:
    1. Texting/On the phone/distracted
    2. Do a Field Sobriety test
    3. See/Smell evidence of drug use/do blood draw
    all options as to why cagers do crazy stuff
    My biggest issues are:
    a. speeders, and
    b. red light runners
    Hope you mend quickly
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default more punch

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Sorry to hear of your accident. Heal quickly.
    A mini-gun ( 3600 rounds/min should nicely)
    I think to clear an obstruction quickly you need more punch than a mini-gun or even a GAU8. Photon Torpedos or a large Gauss Rifle would do the trick. The problem is you'd have to invent the Photon Torpedo first and the Gauss Rifle is a power hog and you'd need to pull a trailer with a really large generator on it. Both would be problematic on a Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Default CRASH

Sorry to hear of your crash. Sounds like you are on the mend. Good deal.
    But what I want to know is which one of these lyin' dawgs told you yellow was the fastest ????
    Bob, k7xi. 2013 RTL

Spyder Garage

Default Heal Quickly

As has been said, hope you heal quickly.

i saw this on here a while back that might help bring some attention to your presence next riding season.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Boy that SUCKS

I am sure glad you are recovering well and NOT afraid to ride again
    I do know just how you feel, I was T-Boned while waiting for cross
    traffic to clear while sitting first inline at a STOP sign, green cheve
    pickup came from the left and hit me broadside totaled my ST1100
    and damn near me... he ran over me as well. He was Blasted drunk it was his 5th DUI, stolen
    truck with stolen plates, NO drivers lic, no insurance..... he went right to jail.....
    Get a GOOD motorcycle lawyer you will do better than setteling with the Insurance co.
    if the lawyer does not want to keep a bunch of it for his services.
    Good Luck get well soon
    Dave
    Been There

~Sandee~

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cmbspyderrss View Post
    As has been said, hope you heal quickly.

i saw this on here a while back that might help bring some attention to your presence next riding season.
    Oooh, I like this. I just wonder if I'll be fast enough on the draw to shoot when time is limited.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    "I’d recommend buying some training materials for “everyone riding” out there. Whether videos or books, such as Ride Like A Pro. Make it a habit of covering your brake before intersections and scanning constantly looking for an escape route when a car attacks. An airbag jacket or vest is a very worthwhile investment. I don’t mean to preach, but i hate to hear this kind of news. "

That is such nonsense, there are times when the other guy is just so stupid, there is nothing one can do. That is why they call them accidents.

Just yesterday, in my SUV, too very life experienced ladies, pulled out in front of me at an intersection. They did not look my way before coming out and when they did, thier bumper was already across the center stripe. What did they do? They stepped on the brakes and came to a screeching halt with my grill stairing right into the driver door.

There are so many things wrong here, fortunately, I saw that they did not check traffic my way, so I was prepared and all is well, but I am sure they are shook up. The point is, if they had done the same thing one or two seconds later, I would not have been able to assist and avoid.

This happened because someone was mentally somewhere else.

Joe
    Defensive riding, riding as if you're invisible and anticipating potential problems is ALWAYS an invaluable part of riding that can never be stressed too much. It doesn't matter who's at fault- the motorcycle rider will always end up on the worst end of the car vs. motorcycle equation. As riders we will always benefit from being extra vigilant and expecting some driver to do something stupid. The speed limit may not automatically the best speed to be at in any given circumstance, being in the 'correct' lane on multi-lane roads may not always be the best. The advice given by Buckeye Bleau is never old, outdated or overstated. Even the best rider can be complacent at times just as expert gun owners sometimes still need to be reminded to keep their finger off the trigger, the barrel pointed downrange and where never to point the gun.

Glad the rider here is OK. Like many of us who've been in similar situations I suspect she'll be a more defensive rider now. Unfortunately that detracts from some of the enjoyment of riding but is a necessity for survival.
    Last edited by Docster; 11-08-2017 at 10:18 PM.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Docster View Post
    Defensive riding, riding as if you're invisible and anticipating potential problems is ALWAYS an invaluable part of riding that can never be stressed too much. It doesn't matter who's at fault- the motorcycle rider will always end up on the worst end of the car vs. motorcycle equation. As riders we will always benefit from being extra vigilant and expecting some driver to do something stupid. The speed limit may not automatically the best speed to be at in any given circumstance, being in the 'correct' lane on multi-lane roads may not always be the best. The advice given by Buckeye Bleau is never old, outdated or overstated. Even the best rider can be complacent at times just as expert gun owners sometimes still need to be reminded to keep their finger off the trigger, the barrel pointed downrange and where never to point the gun.

Glad the rider here is OK. Like many of us who've been in similar situations I suspect she'll be a more defensive rider now. Unfortunately that detracts from some of the enjoyment of riding but is a necessity for survival.
    Love that avatar!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Let me just echo most sentiments, I'm glad you're on the mend.
    As to the Spyder, as of the 2014 model, the windshield control arm is as wimpy as ever, you need a new one from noboot. First thing I added to my Spyder when I bought it.
    As to the machine guns, how eager are you to arm your Spyder ? Can you wait a little while ? There may be a better alternative soon.

Lockheed gets Air Force contract to develop airborne laser weapons

Again, the best to you. Please continue to post so we know you're OK.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

~Sandee~
    I'm happy to hear you're onr the mend. Let us know how your Spyder shopping goes!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your accident. Add my name to the list wishing you a quick recovery. Dale

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sandee, I'm SO sorry to hear about this!! I'm glad you survived and hope you'll be on new wheels by Spring, but I feel your pain in the meantime. My right lung has collapsed more than 100 times, and I've had a (failed) surgical pleurodesis, so I know the agony of damaging the parietal pleura's ample nerve network. And I too can't hold down painkillers - it's so fun to vomit with a pneumothorax. But I digress. You're not far from me, so I hope the louse who did this to you will come to justice and learn a lesson.

A machine gun will just clutter up the road with wreckage and further the collision hazard. Better to use a vaporizer and simply rid the planet of the bastard and his vehicle entirely.

Are you an ABATE member? Our region meets every month and reports MC accidents. Would you mind if I told them about what happened to you?

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses