Spyder Garage

Default Covered Trailer for two?

I have a ‘13 STL and my husband has his eye on an F3T. He’d like to look into getting a covered trailer so we can put both bikes in there for cross country trips. My open 12 ft trailer fits my Spyder and his two-wheeler but is way too small for two Spyders, and we’re thinking we need a 16 footer.
    Anyone trailering two? And if so, what do you use?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dstrat View Post
    I have a ‘13 STL and my husband has his eye on an F3T. He’d like to look into getting a covered trailer so we can put both bikes in there for cross country trips. My open 12 ft trailer fits my Spyder and his two-wheeler but is way too small for two Spyders, and we’re thinking we need a 16 footer.
    Google is your friend here. Put the following into a Google search box: trailer two spyders site:spyderlovers.com. I came up with 5800 hits!

The reason for using Google search is because the forum search will not accept words less than 4 letters.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default 16` might not be enough......

As you can see in my signature, been there, did that.... but to fit 4 I needed not less than 20' ,with the RSS and ST . The floor bed is 7'6" X 20' . And some of the mufflers are out of the floor bed on the right side.....

So, with an RT and F3 with the side bags...you might not be able to "interlace" them as tight as we do.... merely a few inches in between them.

Draw it in your driveway with chalk..... you will see if it will fit.....

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

Good idea to chalk it out. I will do that. We had planned to remove the saddlebags to get a closer fit, putting one in backwards, but will play around with that. Thanks for the great suggestion!
    Last edited by Dstrat; 11-05-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Spyder Garage

We have a 20 foot aluminum R&R enclosed trailer, not for hauling but we store them in it for winter. It has a 15w solar panel on top to keep the battery up, an awning to sit under and all the lights you could want inside. The trailers main use is dirt bikes in the summer, tools ect inside. You might get by with a shorter one if you go car hauler wide and back them up. We went for the smaller wide to see better when towing. Jim

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good idea to chalk it out. I will do that. We had planned to remove the saddlebags to get a closer fit, putting one in backwards, but will play around with that. Thanks for the great suggestion!
    I thought from your OP you were looking for an enclosed trailer?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redrt View Post
    We have a 20 foot aluminum R&R enclosed trailer, not for hauling but we store them in it for winter. It has a 15w solar panel on top to keep the battery up, an awning to sit under and all the lights you could want inside. The trailers main use is dirt bikes in the summer, tools ect inside. You might get by with a shorter one if you go car hauler wide and back them up. We went for the smaller wide to see better when towing. Jim
    Pics would be helpful.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have an Aluma 7 x 16 with a 3' v-front. We have an St-Ltd w/trailer hitch, 2 F3-S w/saddlebags, and a two-wheeled bagger. Any two will fit in-line with one of the Spyders being backed into the nose. Tare weight on the trailer is 1700#, with two 900# bikes gets the full load weight to ~3500 to 3700# with gear in the trailer.

I like the 7' width: we've owned wider trailers but they pull very hard due to wind resistance. Our pull vehicles have been Ford "150"-class van and pickup w/5.4 ltr motors over the past dozen years.

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap