Spyder Garage

Default Fatigue From Riding

This has most likely been asked before but was wondering which Spyder you prefer for taveling long day rides or trips. Being a T8 para I have little core muscles and a bad L elbow (dont have full reach) I have a 2015 F3 with floorboard, backrest, handbrake, longest reach bars, and BR windscreen. Also I'm 5'9. What mods have you made to reduce that bobble feeling. Was thinking of buying a RT model with the newer triple in it or maybe the F3 Limited because of the bigger fairing area. Any advice would be appreciated. Thx

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

If you have tested them you should have a good idea which will suit you best. If you have not tested them both you should. I would thing for the reasons you explained you would be best on the RT 14 and newer. They are easily modified to help with your situation. But just my opinion....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    If you have tested them you should have a good idea which will suit you best. If you have not tested them both you should. I would thing for the reasons you explained you would be best on the RT 14 and newer. They are easily modified to help with your situation. But just my opinion....
    x 2. My ride is an RT and compared to the other rides, it fits me best. Sorry about your problems, they do present a difficulty in long rides.

I am recently recovered from bad hip issues. Was in a wheel chair for almost three years. I still rode my as much as possible. The last year--it was an effort to go more than 50 miles at a time. In addition to the "normal" amenities of the , I made use of a sheepskin gel pad, and a Airhawk cushion. Some days one, the other, or both. I called it setting up for the pain of the day.

Wishing you the best.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post

One of my problems is since I can't use my legs I can't use the brake. I can sit on it and test it in that respect but riding it is not an option. The 2014 and up RT models seem to be much better with the 1330 motors. I plan on riding for extended day trips and have a few weekend trips in the planning stages for next year. Also would love to commute to work. Since I started riding again after a lengthy time off I don't want to stop. Now I can't understand why I didn't start earlier

Spyder Garage

I actually think the RT with its higher center of gravity will be worse for you.

If wind turbulence is an issue on your F3S I suggest you try an F4 windshield on it rather than trading bikes. I have an F3S, Wife and F3T, both with F4 windshields and there is little difference in the riding comfort from wind.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I agree with the RT being a good choice. You might also look at the back rests that can be added for the driver. They can fold down for the passenger to climb on and off, but might give you some extra support during the ride. Sounds like adding the option to have a hand brake is a must as well.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you finally decide on.
    Regards,
    BitSlayer

2015 Spyder RT Limited - Perl White
    - Having fun with my knees in the breeze

Spyder Garage

You mention fatigue and bobble effect. This is most likely due to wind. I have an RT-S and my wife has an ST- Ltd. I am 5'11" and have no issues with wind or bobble on an RT. My wife on her ST-Ltd was always tired and sore after a long ride. I replaced her windshield with a higher one from Cali Scientific. The head buffeting disappeared and she has no issues with long rides. We often put in 6 hours of seat time on several two week rides each year. So I suggest research a taller windshield to get out of the air stream and you will have less buffeting and fatigue.