Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Russell Daylong Seat Questions

Now that it's just about time to put my F3-T into winter hibernation, I'm seriously considering ordering a Russell Daylong seat. Just wondering whether anyone who has experience with purchasing and shipping could answer a few questions. Based on your experience......

1. How long can I expect to wait for delivery after shipping my seat out to Russell?

2. I've already taken the required photos of me seating on the Spyder and Russell has seen them and said they are fine. What other types of info did you provide them in your pre-order discussions?

3. When you received the new seat, was it OK right away? Or did you have to return it for "tweaking"? If you returned it, how long was turnaround time?

4. It's my understanding that removing the stock seat just involves removing 2 11mm bolts at the back of the driver seat. Is that correct? Do I have that bolt size correct as well?

5. I'd like to be ready-to-go to ride again by April 1, so I won't be able to give it a "road test" until around that time. Based on that, and considering time they allow to determine whether tweaks are needed, when would be the best time to place my order?

6. Finally, the most important question: Was your purchase worthwhile? Would you do it again?

Thanks!
    Bert

Spyder Garage

I am driving there next week for drive in service so will be able to expound on that then. They assign you a production date...send your seat in and about 2 weeks after production date you get it back I think. you need to pick out seat fabric and stiching you desire. I have not heard of tweaking the seat. Yes, I believe just 2 bolts at the rear of the seat...easy to remove. I would schedule soon if you are done riding. It will be my first RDL but from what I have heard, I won't be disappointed. Have tried the BRP comfort seat and not comfy for me. remember, your butt's comfy level is different than others. good luck.

2017 F3T Black
    2016 RT LTD Black - Traded
    2015 Indian Chief Vintage Red

Spyder Garage

Default Russell seat

Is the only seat I will ever have. I had one made for my F3T, it is my third RDL seat on my third different bike.

Yes you are correct on the bolts holding the seat to the frame.

You need to specify the material and stitching pattern. Since I ride solo I also sent the passenger seat in just to be recovered and to have the stitching match the drivers seat. I think it cost $50 for that.

Make sure to give them your inseam, weight and height.

You will love the seat.
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Spyder Garage

I'm on Russell seat number 6 and wouldn't have anything else. As has been said they give you a production date and they call when it is being shipped back. On my current seat I went with the gray Sunbrella covering to avoid the heat and it is very good on the butt and looks good. Make sure to put at least a thousand miles on it for break in before asking for adjustments. If you give them a call Jay will answer all your questions.

Spyder Garage

I have never heard anyone on any bike say anything but great things about the Day Long seats.
    Never a bad word.
    The two 11mm bolts you mention are 10 mm on mine

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Looks like your questions have been answered, except for “tweaking” which few have seen. I have had 5 Daylong seats, and only one was uncomfortable after the first couple of hundred km. I shipped it back to the US, they found where they had gone wrong and adjusted it, and shipped it back, paying for shipping (not cheap to Australia). From the time they got the seat until they shipped it back was only a couple of days. I can’t recommend them highly enough.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

In addition to the two bolts you'll also have to remove the passenger sensor and unhook the strut that holds the seat up. Not difficult but just mentioning them for completeness.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Default I loved my Russell

My responses are based upon the Russell that I had on my BMW R1200GS. Please see my response in red.
    The best,
    Rob

1. How long can I expect to wait for delivery after shipping my seat out to Russell? You don't have to send your seat to them until your scheduled date. Assuming you do this you will "Send - They will do it - Then they will send it back to you". This total time is about 2-3 weeks.

2. I've already taken the required photos of me seating on the Spyder and Russell has seen them and said they are fine. What other types of info did you provide them in your pre-order discussions? My memory is their order form asks a few more questions like hight, weight, etc. You can also tell them anything you want them to know. For example I told them not to make my seat any higher than it had to be.

3. When you received the new seat, was it OK right away? Or did you have to return it for "tweaking"? If you returned it, how long was turnaround time? It was fine when I got it and got more comfortable over the next 1000 miles or so. I think this was just a break-in period.

4. It's my understanding that removing the stock seat just involves removing 2 11mm bolts at the back of the driver seat. Is that correct? Do I have that bolt size correct as well? I don't remember the exact bolt sizes on an F3, but seat removal is very easy as we have an F3.

5. I'd like to be ready-to-go to ride again by April 1, so I won't be able to give it a "road test" until around that time. Based on that, and considering time they allow to determine whether tweaks are needed, when would be the best time to place my order? Winter is the best time for quicker turn around with Russell. If you do it sooner rather than later you will avoid the spring rush. I'll be surprised if you require any adjustments after you receive the seat.

6. Finally, the most important question: Was your purchase worthwhile? Would you do it again? Absolutely! It was the best motorcycle seat I've ever had, and I've had a bunch of different seats. I may send in my RT seat this winter myself.

FYI - As they tell you, it will make you taller in the saddle; meaning, the seat will be higher than your standard seat. This will have some impact on your windscreen position, bars, and your position relative to both. Factor this in and know it now vs. being surprised when you get it back.
    Last edited by robhowen; 11-02-2017 at 03:35 PM. Reason: added info
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    In addition to the two bolts you'll also have to remove the passenger sensor and unhook the strut that holds the seat up. Not difficult but just mentioning them for completeness.
    Not on the F3-T he won’t, Roger

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default F3T

Remove passenger pillion. Remove safety cable. Get a 10mm socket on an extension. Remove both bolts attaching the seat. Done.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Not on the F3-T he won’t, Roger

Pete

Right you are Pete. Mis-read "F3-T" as "RT." Reading glasses don't help unless you're actually wearing them!
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Owned 3 on different bikes......tried all the rest and learned the hard way to go with the best. Call Russell, they will answer all questions. No issues with any of the three i had and have. Enjoy!
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Remove passenger pillion. Remove safety cable. Get a 10mm socket on an extension. Remove both bolts attaching the seat. Done.
    Thanks for all of the responses, guys. But, what the heck is a "pillion"?
    Bert

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

.....that's the person sitting behind you!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.