Spyder Garage

Default Fast start without burnout on SE5?

I have 2009 GS se5 that I need some rpm/race tips. I usually just go full throttle when I start which causes me to do a burnout. What is a good rpm to start to prevent burnout but have a fast start?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

fewer than what you're using now...

What's the "big hurry" about anyway?
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 11-02-2017 at 07:35 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Active Member CarolinaSpyderRyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I've go a few timeslips

From test and tune nights. It's really more of a "Feel" thing than an RPM thing.... Power braking a Spyder is a bad idea.
    2014 RSS , Sunburst Yellow and Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaSpyderRyder View Post
    From test and tune nights. It's really more of a "Feel" thing than an RPM thing.... Power braking a Spyder is a bad idea.
    Now that's something I have never done. You mean on a track correct? Where do you go?

Active Member CarolinaSpyderRyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Mooresville Dragway

Test and tune at Moorseville Dragway is Thursday nights.
    2014 RSS , Sunburst Yellow and Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FAST START

Quote Originally Posted by NVERLAST1 View Post
    I have 2009 GS se5 that I need some rpm/race tips. I usually just go full throttle when I start which causes me to do a burnout. What is a good rpm to start to prevent burnout but have a fast start?
    In 2014 at Spyderfest I took a place trophy ( stock RSS V-twin ) .... Unless you are very lightweight, the burnout will be very short. IMHO drag racing is WON at the Tree ... Reaction time is UBER critical ... Lesser HP machines often win against higher HP machines because the operator has better Reaction reflexes ... Practice will greatly improve your times .... This can be accomplished .... Without going to a track ... Have a buddy hold a flashlight and practice ... you can do this anywhere ... because you aren't going more than 50 ft.... ( at least you shouldn't ) .... Also you MUST nail it as close to the time the Green lite goes on ... this means you need to get the tree timing almost perfect .. you go a milli-second before the green actually lights .......... good luck , have fun ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    In 2014 at Spyderfest I took a place trophy ( stock RSS V-twin ) .... Unless you are very lightweight, the burnout will be very short. IMHO drag racing is WON at the Tree ... Reaction time is UBER critical ... Lesser HP machines often win against higher HP machines because the operator has better Reaction reflexes ... Practice will greatly improve your times .... This can be accomplished .... Without going to a track ... Have a buddy hold a flashlight and practice ... you can do this anywhere ... because you aren't going more than 50 ft.... ( at least you shouldn't ) .... Also you MUST nail it as close to the time the Green lite goes on ... this means you need to get the tree timing almost perfect .. you go a milli-second before the green actually lights .......... good luck , have fun ..... Mike
    I'm def not lightweight closer to 300 pounds smh. Do you still raise rpms before you start?

Spyder Garage

Default DRAG RACING

Quote Originally Posted by NVERLAST1 View Post
    I'm def not lightweight closer to 300 pounds smh. Do you still raise rpms before you start?
    ... I'm a medium weight ...... and NO on raising RPM's prior to launch ..... You @ 300lbs. may want to though ( no offense intended ) ..... Every Spyder is a little bit different and so are the operators ........ Only practice will tell you what works best for you ..... Enjoy .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The fastest bike rarely wins a race: the fastest rider does!

Spyder Garage

Test and tune at Moorseville Dragway is Thursday nights.
    That's right up the street. Is that every Thursday? what is the cost? I didn't know they reopened.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The fastest bike rarely wins a race: the fastest rider does!

HP to weight ratio. Most track winners are under 140 lbs, lots of gals are joining the winners because they have a consistent reaction time & weigh 120# + racing suit gear. Leaving the line on yellow may get you to the end 1st but they usually don't count it as a win, I would know about that. In the end you are racing yourself--trying to improve your ET--getting a better feel on how to improve your skillset on your vehicle. The winners are usually very poor financially off--a few exceptions--but most spend every dime on their racing vehicle.
    Now that we haven't answered your question--try this--pick an rpm--if you bog down increase the rpm--if wheel spin becomes a problem--reduce your launch rpm--trial & error works wonders.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Mustang does it with Line Lock(locks up from wheels & release brakes on the rear) I know this is a Spyder forum but today's USA's muscle are in the 600-700 HP range--unbelievable. One can get a 727 hp 640# torque Mustang with Roush Supercharger for under $50K . That's getting not to far off from a loaded Spyder in the $30's K range. Doesn't seem right--does it. The Stage 1 640 HP comes with a 3 yr 36000 mi warranty. Perfect tow vehicle

Spyder Garage

I can only watch this one and day dream.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default FAT FOLKS - ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    HP to weight ratio. Most track winners are under 140 lbs, lots of gals are joining the winners because they have a consistent reaction time & weigh 120# + racing suit gear. Leaving the line on yellow may get you to the end 1st but they usually don't count it as a win, I would know about that. In the end you are racing yourself--trying to improve your ET--getting a better feel on how to improve your skillset on your vehicle. The winners are usually very poor financially off--a few exceptions--but most spend every dime on their racing vehicle.
    Now that we haven't answered your question--try this--pick an rpm--if you bog down increase the rpm--if wheel spin becomes a problem--reduce your launch rpm--trial & error works wonders.
    Darrell
    Wellllllllllllllllllllll , my best friends brother weighed 240 +/- and He won 95% of His races. His reaction time at the Tree was legendary .... ( Bob Moshinski ) ........ Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup! Skill (and great reflexes!) will triumph!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Wellllllllllllllllllllll , my best friends brother weighed 240 +/- and He won 95% of His races. His reaction time at the Tree was legendary .... ( Bob Moshinski ) ........ Mike

Mike: I'm guessing the 5% of the races he lost was by someone with his same launch skill but weighed considerably less.
    Darrell

Spyder Garage

Default 5%

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    Mike: I'm guessing the 5% of the races he lost was by someone with his same launch skill but weighed considerably less.
    Darrell
    ... It's more likely He was still eating a Hot Dog ...... Mike