Spyder Garage

Default FOLLOWUP TO "I'M FED UP"

After sending a letter to the CEO of BRP. I got a very nice phone call from a very nice representative from BRP, stating that they would like to work with me to get my 2013 RT problems ironed out. I was asked to get the Spyder to a dealer that she had already contacted, so that they could try and diagnose and fix the problems. We agreed that I would get the Spyder to the dealer & BRP would cover the cos of getting it back to me. (I just had a hip replacement & cannot ride). Upon my initial contact with the dealer, I was told that they were doing this "under pressure from BRP", which gave me pause, yet in subsequent conversations, the person I spoke with was very nice, listened to my questions, and overall I started to get a better feeling. Well, things have really gone downhill from there. Here is a link to my "I'M FED UP" thread, and an copy of an Email I received this morning from the dealer. This does not make me happy.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...387-I-M-FED-UP

Email_0001.jpg
    I will not name the dealer, as that is not my way, plus I like to avoid litigation. So now here I am with two dealers in my area, neither of which I trust. I am at my wits end about this, and I am going to sell the damned thing for whatever I can get for it.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Wow

Wowee! That Dealer just spit in your face, and in BRP's face also. I'll bet you anything the Dealership is planning on dropping the Spyder franchise. It sounds like they don't want to work on them, or work with BRP either, and they don't care who knows it. Did they cc BRP on that email? If not, I'd forward it to BRP just to make sure they know....even though it probably won't help you personally.

Good Luck!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That dealership is exactly excited about solving your problems; are they?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    Wowee! That Dealer just spit in your face, and in BRP's face also. I'll bet you anything the Dealership is planning on dropping the Spyder franchise. It sounds like they don't want to work on them, or work with BRP either, and they don't care who knows it. Did they cc BRP on that email? If not, I'd forward it to BRP just to make sure they know....even though it probably won't help you personally.

Good Luck!
    No cc to BRP. I have a call in to the rep so I can forward the Email.
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Total arrogance
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default Wow..!!

sorry to hear all this...it should never have gotten this far but hope they put forth an effort to make it right however they can at this point...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    sorry to hear all this...it should never have gotten this far but hope they put forth an effort to make it right however they can at this point...
    Not likely. They just sent me an invoice with a note in bold letters "The Unit Is Ready To Pick Up!!". I don't think they ever want to see it again.

Spyder Garage

Default spyder

Considering all the money you say it's going to cost you, would it be worth your while to invest in a good lawyer?
    Paul

Spyder Garage

Geez Dwight.
    I'm glad your hip is better.
    I wish you'd name the dealer. I had to get my oil changed at Arctic Adventures, because I don't trust the relatively local guys, and even AA left off one of the plastic rivets.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    After sending a letter to the CEO of BRP. I got a very nice phone call from a very nice representative from BRP, stating that they would like to work with me to get my 2013 RT problems ironed out. I was asked to get the Spyder to a dealer that she had already contacted, so that they could try and diagnose and fix the problems. We agreed that I would get the Spyder to the dealer & BRP would cover the cos of getting it back to me. (I just had a hip replacement & cannot ride). Upon my initial contact with the dealer, I was told that they were doing this "under pressure from BRP", which gave me pause, yet in subsequent conversations, the person I spoke with was very nice, listened to my questions, and overall I started to get a better feeling. Well, things have really gone downhill from there. Here is a link to my "I'M FED UP" thread, and an copy of an Email I received this morning from the dealer. This does not make me happy.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...387-I-M-FED-UP

Email_0001.jpg
    I will not name the dealer, as that is not my way, plus I like to avoid litigation. So now here I am with two dealers in my area, neither of which I trust. I am at my wits end about this, and I am going to sell the damned thing for whatever I can get for it.
    It would appear that BRP is not the "bad guy" in this situation. The "dealer," is a whole other ballgame. They gave you their feelings when they said "under pressure from BRP" and they were done after the horn.

Please make sure BRP is aware like you stated you were going to do.

RE: litigation: when that magic word appears--BRP is going to back off completely and you will have to deal with lawyers. I do not recommend doing that yet.

We are really hoping that you can get your situation solved.

The dealer should be dealt with by BRP.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-30-2017 at 09:16 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree...

and in my earlier post I was referring to BRP and not the dealer. He was like done at the start..Do let BRP know so they can follow up ...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I feel for you and what your going through with this dealer and have heard of many having problems with dealers. I had a problem and found BRP very helpful in getting the problems resolved with the locking up of the steering many were having with the '08's and early '09 Spyders.

I'm lucky, since the only times I had to deal with the dealer was when the 2008, '09's had the steering issues and than had a bad gas smell and was told BUD's didn't show a problem, when everyone within 20 feet of it could smell it and I was sent on my way. The tech that I first met at the dealership, told me "we are here to make sure your riding experience is a great one, so don't hesitate to bring this over anytime it doesn't feel right to you or its showing a problem". That went to!!! "I'm so sick of seeing this Spyder in here every week" and the last thing said came from me as I was screaming at this tech out in the parking lot, telling him if you had fixed it right the first time I wouldn't be back here and how can it be done with covers and tupperware missing and little by little, not only was the Irish was showing its ugly head, but so was the Boatswain's Mate's language, instilled in me from years earlier with every other sentence being "You head" when a job isn't done right the first time and how dare you talk to me like this? He looked over towards his bosses door and saw him looking and listening with his door open and quickly left with his tail between his legs and came back and put my Spyder back together again, without comment. (Reminds me of my first Christmas home in 4 years in 1972 after getting out of the Navy and being ignored at the dinner table, when I asked politely for the salt, pepper and gravy to be passed down. After asking nicely 3 times on the 4th, this Boatswain's Mate got what he wanted as the whole room went quiet, the laughter started after finding out it was a setup by my brothers who were than choking on their dinner and they told my mother, but not the shocked wives, girlfriends and kids).

With the gas smell, I was so angry on my way home, I stopped at a local bike shop and was met by the owner. He smelled the gas and I told him what the dealer told me and he brought out his head tech. He took it for a ride and told me what to buy and than we will get this in here and take care of this problem and if you have another o2 sensor and anything else you want to change out we can get that knocked out to. He was a trained Spyder tech, that quit the dealership, because they wouldn't pay him what he wanted and found what he wanted with this custom bike shop. That custom bike shop went out of business after it was sold to a new owner and I found another local bike shop that wanted to work with me. Than I found the tech I had been using before and he's less than 2 miles from my house working for another bike shop. Also there now is another trained Spyder tech that came from another state and he loves to work on Spyders. Like before all I need to do is buy the parts and they do the work, far cheaper than it would cost at the dealer and the only time I take it to the dealer is when they want me to get a BUDs printout, so they can see whats going on, if anything at all.

The gas smell was coming from the front cylinder. The plug was burnt down to nothing and since at the time it was the hardest plug to replace with the air box in the way, the rear plug was brand new and the front plug was the original and never changed out, after being used as a demo. The air box I replaced with a performance air filter about 5 or 6 years ago and that front plug is no longer a problem to get to.
    Happy Spyder Owner

2008 SM5, Trunk Liner, 2" Block Riser, ESI 3" Risers, Evoluzione Cycle o2 Sensor Mod, Corbin Seat and Large Oval Backrest, Madstad RoboBrackets and 24" Clear Windshield, Chrome Clear Catseye LED Tail/Brake/License Plate Light, Brake Strobe, Kuryakyn Grips, Kewlmetals Performance Air kit, Custom Dynamic Orange LED's, Spyder 1 Attitude Performance Exhaust RSS-18-B, Day Runners, Day Pucks, Rivco Highway Pegs, ESI Mirror Extensions, Rivco Floorboards.

Spyder Garage

Steve, stay with Arctic Adventures. In answer to everyone else, this is definitely a dealer issue, not an issue with BRP. They have been very understanding & helpful as a buffer between me and the dealer, since I now refuse to even speak to them on the phone. They never found the cause of the 10 amp fuse #2 in the Right fuse box for the brake/hazard lights blowing, yet they declare the Spyder is fixed and want it out of their shop. They would start it twice a day and let it idle for a while to see if the fuse would blow, then shut it down. Now to add insult to injury, they claim that the plugs (BajaRon plugs) were fouled due to the constant starting and idling, so they changed the plugs without my permission to stock plugs. They very graciously (sarcasm intended) did not charge any labor to change the plugs. They are blaming my Wolo horn for all of the problems saying that there was a "cascade effect" which caused the bike to go into Limp mode, and throw codes C0040 VCM Module, (Brakes), C006C, ECM Module, & C0063 VCM Module (Yaw Rate Sensor). Evidently - or so they say - a wire for the horn (which was installed by another dealer) was hanging loose and the horn did not work. They said the wire was not hot, no current going through it, so I really don't see how that can be the problem. This whole thing is driving me nuts.

And no, I am not considering any form of litigation. That just causes all parties to "circle the wagons" and nothing gets done.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    It would appear that BRP is not the "bad guy" in this situation. The "dealer," is a whole other ballgame. They gave you their feelings when they said "under pressure from BRP" and they were done after the horn.

Please make sure BRP is aware like you stated you were going to do.

RE: litigation: when that magic word appears--BRP is going to back off completely and you will have to deal with lawyers. I do not recommend doing that yet.

We are really hoping that you can get your situation solved.

The dealer should be dealt with by BRP.

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Steve, stay with Arctic Adventures. In answer to everyone else, this is definitely a dealer issue, not an issue with BRP. They have been very understanding & helpful as a buffer between me and the dealer, since I now refuse to even speak to them on the phone. They never found the cause of the 10 amp fuse #2 in the Right fuse box for the brake/hazard lights blowing, yet they declare the Spyder is fixed and want it out of their shop. They would start it twice a day and let it idle for a while to see if the fuse would blow, then shut it down. Now to add insult to injury, they claim that the plugs (BajaRon plugs) were fouled due to the constant starting and idling, so they changed the plugs without my permission to stock plugs. They very graciously (sarcasm intended) did not charge any labor to change the plugs. They are blaming my Wolo horn for all of the problems saying that there was a "cascade effect" which caused the bike to go into Limp mode, and throw codes C0040 VCM Module, (Brakes), C006C, ECM Module, & C0063 VCM Module (Yaw Rate Sensor). Evidently - or so they say - a wire for the horn (which was installed by another dealer) was hanging loose and the horn did not work. They said the wire was not hot, no current going through it, so I really don't see how that can be the problem. This whole thing is driving me nuts.

And no, I am not considering any form of litigation. That just causes all parties to "circle the wagons" and nothing gets done.
    It sounds like BRP, at least, is trying to work with you. Please keep us informed as to what happens next.

I hope BRP will come down hard on that dealer. If/when they do, please let us know which one it is.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Evidently - or so they say - a wire for the horn (which was installed by another dealer) was hanging loose and the horn did not work. They said the wire was not hot, no current going through it, so I really don't see how that can be the problem. This whole thing is driving me nuts.
    I have not read every post you made on this but your last line leads me to believe that there may be an issues with the install of the horn. When I'm chasing electrical demons I start by putting everything back to stock. That's what I would do in this case too. Good luck

Spyder Garage

You know, it's things like this that make me think the Harley Trike is the way to go.
    There's an aftermarket reverse available.
    I may see if they'll take the Spyder in trade.
    IBA #47122

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    You know, it's things like this that make me think the Harley Trike is the way to go. There's an aftermarket reverse available.
    Because of their proven reliability?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    You know, it's things like this that make me think the Harley Trike is the way to go.
    There's an aftermarket reverse available.
    Because they're soo smooooothhhh
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Oh yeah, there is that. I think that's where the term 'numb nuts' originated.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I can see your point.
    There's far less vibration from a Spyder. Especially when it's sitting at a dealer for 6 weeks waiting for repairs.
    My point regards the dealer network and support, not the design of the vehicle.
    It's not the Spyder, and it's NOT BRP.
    It's the dealers.
    Most of these guys are used to selling PWCs and Sleds, NOT road vehicles.
    There is a MAJOR difference between recreational use vehicles and road vehicles.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

ThreeWheels, Not all Spyders end up in the shop for weeks though, BUT All Harley trikes shake like a ......... well, The Factory Harley Trike that I rented one day in 2016 That I took for a 2 hour ride that lasted three hours because I needed a midpoint relief from the vibration convinced me that was NOT my kinda transportation. The Harley dealer is within a pistol's range distance from my home, but I'd never have one.
    It is unfortunate that oldguyinCT (the OP) has had to deal with a substandard dealer, but there are many, MANY great Spyder dealers and mechanics working on em as needed and properly that we don't hear about.
    I'm blessed in that I live within an hour of 4 dealerships, 3 of whom have GREAT service departments, and I have Spyder friends who think the 4th dealer has always treated them well.
    Routinely we only hear about the problems. Not the majority.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

ThreeWheels, Not all Spyders end up in the shop for weeks though, BUT All Harley trikes shake like a ......... well, The Factory Harley Trike that I rented one day in 2016 That I took for a 2 hour ride that lasted three hours because I needed a midpoint relief from the vibration convinced me that was NOT my kinda transportation. The Harley dealer is within a pistol's range distance from my home, but I'd never have one.
    It is unfortunate that oldguyinCT (the OP) has had to deal with a substandard dealer, but there are many, MANY great Spyder dealers and mechanics working on em as needed and properly that we don't hear about.
    I'm blessed in that I live within an hour of 4 dealerships, 3 of whom have GREAT service departments, and I have Spyder friends who think the 4th dealer has always treated them well.
    Routinely we only hear about the problems. Not the majority.
    Oldguy and I have both been spoiled by a great dealer that had to close his doors for non Spyder related reasons.
    I'm now looking for someone to pick up the slack. The remaining dealers in the area all seem substandard.
    IBA #47122