Spyder Garage

Default Need to be careful out there

This was not me, they are from a spyder FB page. It just happened this week. Spyder vs Javalina.

sp1.jpg sp2.jpg sp3.jpg

The ryder walked away
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Wholly cow. For such a tasty animal for its size it sure caused such damage. Glad the Ryder is well.
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach

Spyder Garage

Wholly Gas Pedal Batman! You mean that blind little pig did all this damage? looks like a MAC Truck hit him. I will be more vigilant from now on. We have

literally millions of these all over here. A lot of them in my yard here in the "Old Pueblo".

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

the Pig probably caused front end damage but the rider going off the road and flipping it did the rest. From the looks of it, must have been at highway speeds

Spyder Garage

Mmmmmmmm....Bacon!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    This was not me, they are from a spyder FB page. It just happened this week. Spyder vs Javalina.

sp1.jpg sp2.jpg sp3.jpg

Thank you for posting this. I was the rider. I was enroute to LA for my Mom's 91st birthday. On 10-19, 45 miles east of Van Horn, TX, I spotted 2 javalina on I-10 coming out of the median. They were just walking slowly so I figured I could swing wide right and avoid them. The posted speed is 80 mph, so I figured I had plenty of time. I was wrong. The first pig started running towards me and he was FAST. I went unto the on ramp lane , where he died and I ran OVER him. The Spyder stayed steady and proceeded toward the ditch, which was luckily a sloping one. I was in panic mode, so I was just hanging on. After about 50 feet I ran into some mesquite. I was somehow knocked off the Spyder before it crashed into an older mesquite and stopped, turned on it's side. I took the pictures. My only injuries were a very badly bruised left hip and a badly bruised right knee and the bump on my head. I was ambulanced to Pecos Emergency, ex-rayed, CAT scanned, etc. They found no broken bones or internal bleedings. After consultation with the trauma Doctor in Odessa, I as put on Air Evac for them to keep me overnight for observations for anything that may show up in a surprise way. My wife arrived at the hospital from Jacumba, CA, at 1100 AM Friday and I was released by 200 PM and we headed home by way of the yard where the Spyder was so I could get my personal stuff. After over 50 years of riding and over 600,000 miles this is my first accident. Had I been on a 2-wheeler I would probably died. The Spyder never waivered running over the pig. I feel blessed to be alive. I am sitting at home recovering, and the pain is less everyday, though I am finding some new pains. lol I can walk unassisted with a limp and under ibupropin(?). Jennifer and I have agreed that another Spyder is for us in the future.

The ryder walked away

Thank you for posting this. I was the rider. I was enroute to LA for my Mom's 91st birthday. On 10-19, 45 miles east of Van Horn, TX, I spotted 2 javalina on I-10 coming out of the median. They were just walking slowly so I figured I could swing wide right and avoid them. The posted speed is 80 mph, so I figured I had plenty of time. I was wrong. The first pig started running towards me and he was FAST. I went unto the on ramp lane , where he died and I ran OVER him. The Spyder stayed steady and proceeded toward the ditch, which was luckily a sloping one. I was in panic mode, so I was just hanging on. After about 50 feet I ran into some mesquite. I was somehow knocked off the Spyder before it crashed into an older mesquite and stopped, turned on it's side. I took the pictures. My only injuries were a very badly bruised left hip and a badly bruised right knee and the bump on my head. I was ambulanced to Pecos Emergency, ex-rayed, CAT scanned, etc. They found no broken bones or internal bleedings. After consultation with the trauma Doctor in Odessa, I as put on Air Evac for them to keep me overnight for observations for anything that may show up in a surprise way. My wife arrived at the hospital from Jacumba, CA, at 1100 AM Friday and I was released by 200 PM and we headed home by way of the yard where the Spyder was so I could get my personal stuff. After over 50 years of riding and over 600,000 miles this is my first accident. Had I been on a 2-wheeler I would probably died. The Spyder never waivered running over the pig. I feel blessed to be alive. I am sitting at home recovering, and the pain is less everyday, though I am finding some new pains. lol I can walk unassisted with a limp and under ibupropin(?). Jennifer and I have agreed that another Spyder is for us in the future.
    Last edited by Dudley; 10-27-2017 at 11:54 AM. Reason: correction
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

you are right, 80MPH on a motorcycle, running over a pig and going into ditch would have different consequences.

Speedy Recovery

Spyder Garage

Dudley, Praying for a swift and full recovery, good spirits, and that you get the new spyder you really want!
    Thanks for sharing your story here, I'm sharing it with my wife, who's a little overly concerned with our riding during the fall deer season up here.
    I know hitting ANYTHING at speed can be terrible. But the Spyder survival rate seems better.

PS, looks like it's time to update your sig block...
    Last edited by DGoebel; 10-27-2017 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Added PS
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Wow !!!

Glad you are ok.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Its not a PIG

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you survived the incident.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

sp1.jpg sp2.jpg sp3.jpg

The ryder walked away
    Thankfully we have a major shortage of Javalina's in Ohio--we could trade for some nightime roaming deer that are attracted to headlights:-(
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Its not a PIG
    Really, what animal family is it a member of???? Looks like a pig, smells like a pig, tastes like a pig. the wild boar's little brother :-)
    Darrell

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!

Saw it on FB and though it makes little difference the Javalina is a wild boar and they are tougher than your farm pig...really glad you fared this well and hope you shake all those aches and pain off and get back to yourself...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Its not a PIG
    Google JAVELINA. Technically it is not a pig but it's in the same genus 'swine as pigs.

25 to 45 pounds
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Google JAVELINA. Technically it is not a pig but it's in the same genus 'swine as pigs.

25 to 45 pounds
    Is a javelina a rodent or a pig?

A peccary (also javelina or skunk pig) is a medium-sized hoofed mammal of the family Tayassuidae (New World pigs) in the suborder Suina along with the Old World pigs, Suidae. They are found throughout Central and South America and in the southwestern area of North America.

Pete--that's as close to a pig as one can get :-) Don't mention pigs to me--I grew up on a small dairy farm but the majority of our income was in pigs. In order to load the pigs up a ramp on to a box truck they have to be backed up the ramp--they can't be pushed forward--one hand on their ear & the other on their tail--backing them up the truck ramp--squealing all the way :-( ---I have a few pleasant memories from the farm but pigs were not one of them.
    Cleaning the pig pen with a 550 lb sow guarding her litter gave value to using a shovel as a weapon.
    Darrell

Last edited by Wildrice; 10-27-2017 at 06:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    Don't mention pigs to me--I grew up on a small dairy farm but the majority of our income was in pigs. In order to load the pigs up a ramp on to a box truck they have to be backed up the ramp--they can't be pushed forward--one hand on their ear & the other on their tail--backing them up the truck ramp--squealing all the way :-( ---I have a few pleasant memories from the farm but pigs were not one of them.
    Cleaning the pig pen with a 550 lb sow guarding her litter gave value to using a shovel as a weapon.
    Darrell
    I raised Hamps, Yorks and Duroc pigs for only 3-4 years with my Ex's Father. My breeding Hamp Boar was 638lbs and i had to bottle raise him. He would sit, fetch, roll over (Kinda) pull my feed trailer, eat outside at the picnic table, chase my rotty all the time and was like a dog really. I am still amazed at how smart they are. Miss that boy big time. Our Durocs had a cross strain of Russian boar in them and HFS were they a mean bunch. The Sow screams at farrowing time were hair standing on your neck scary. They bred much better than the others so we only had a few cause that's all we could handle. If i lived in Texeas or Florida i would be one of those pig wrangler outfits workinn 24/7 with all proceeds going to the needy .
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    Is a javelina a rodent or a pig? A peccary (also javelina or skunk pig) is a medium-sized hoofed mammal of the family Tayassuidae (New World pigs) in the suborder Suina along with the Old World pigs, Suidae. They are found throughout Central and South America and in the southwestern area of North America.Pete--that's as close to a pig as one can get :-) Don't mention pigs to me--I grew up on a small dairy farm but the majority of our income was in pigs. In order to load the pigs up a ramp on to a box truck they have to be backed up the ramp--they can't be pushed forward--one hand on their ear & the other on their tail--backing them up the truck ramp--squealing all the way :-( ---I have a few pleasant memories from the farm but pigs were not one of them.
    Cleaning the pig pen with a 550 lb sow guarding her litter gave value to using a shovel as a weapon.Darrell
    I had an ex-navy buddy bought a small farm in West Virginia. One winter I went to visit and he had this big red-haired pig named Russell he needed to tag. My job was to jump on him and wrestle down so Steve could tag him. After about an hour of chasing him around the pen in the snow we finally got him tagged. In honor of the pig I named my firstborn son after him because he had all this red hair. Kid still won't talk to me.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Changing Forum name to "Pig raisers R us"

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I had an ex-navy buddy bought a small farm in West Virginia. One winter I went to visit and he had this big red-haired pig named Russell he needed to tag. My job was to jump on him and wrestle down so Steve could tag him. After about an hour of chasing him around the pen in the snow we finally got him tagged. In honor of the pig I named my firstborn son after him because he had all this red hair. Kid still won't talk to me.
    Then as Spring time began we built this single wire electric fence around the pig field. A few pigs would break out through the shocked electric fence & I would run back to the barn --turn the electric fence off--chase the loose pigs back into the pig field, run to barn -turn electric fence back on-- meantime a few pigs on the other end of the field would figure out the electric fence had been off & break out on that end--run back into the barn & turn the fence off--run back to the barn turn electric fence off/on & chase those pigs back into the pig field--repeat this process 5-10 times.
    We will be changing forun name from Spyderlovers to Pig chasers in the morning .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Happy to hear you made it thru the encounter. I wish you a speedy recovery. Dale

Spyder Garage

Its not a PIG
    We know that but still call them a pig. They are actually a Rodent I believe. We roast em, toast em, and shoo them out of our yards here every day in the

"old Pueblo". They are a nuisance to say the least. (but the babies are sure cute)

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

sp1.jpg sp2.jpg sp3.jpg

The ryder walked away
    The Lord is looking out for you and isn't ready for you yet!!!!
    Thanks for sharing and glad you're still here...

........." It's a Great Life if you don't weaken' ".........

"You don't stop having fun when you get old...
    you get old when you stop having fun"

" Remember, Aging is Mandatory...
    Maturing is Optional "
    2014 RTS Limited , Matt Grey

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Really glad to hear you walked (limped) away from this. Yes you are a lucky man and it could have been much worse. God was definitely ryding with you. Hope your recovery goes well and look forward to seeing you on your new Spyder down the road.

Jim & Mary

Spyder Garage

These are all over North Scottsdale, not a day goes by that I don't see 1 or more. They really stink and are very protective of their young. You don't want to mess with these as they are really mean.