Thread: HELP

Spyder Garage

Default HELP

I need some assistance and explanation on what MP3 player to purchase and how to set it up on my RT, it has the USB and another connection in the trunk but I must admit I have no idea how to go about this. Does the connection go through the RT radio? I want to get a mp3 player with bluetooth so I can listen to music on my Sena smh10 headphones on my helmet or does this connect via bluetooth to my Garmin590 which then sends it via bluetooth to the Sena. Do I pair the mp3 player to the Garmin?? and if so is the USB connection just a power connection. Please any help would be appreciated ....also which mp3 player to buy and which brands or makes to stay away from, I dont need anything fancy or expensive just need to have some music to my and my wifes helmet ....that opens another question how would the wife hear the music as I have the Garmin paired only to my helmet for nav directions.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There are options for you.

The RT should have come with an Apple plug and an everything else plug for the right side of the trunk. If you use an Apple phone or an Android you can simply plug them in to that port, select Aux on your radio setting and off you go, the sound will come through your speaker and will not interfere with the Garmin, through the speakers.

If you want the sound to come through the Sena, just set up the phone to pare with your Sena and away you go.

In both cases you can charge your phone with the power outlet on the left side of the truck.

Now, this is all using your phone as the MP3, if you want to buy one, then most anything will work the same way.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

If your RT has a USB plug in the trunk, you do not need an mp3 player to plug in there. A simple USB thumb drive with mp3 files loaded on it and you will be able to play them on the built in radio.

If you want tunes in your bluetooth helmet, that is an entirely different thing. The built in radio has no bluetooth function and rather than add it, would be easier to just link your smart phone to the headset and listen to tunes that way. No connection to the bike electronics at all.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    There are options for you.

The RT should have come with an Apple plug and an everything else plug for the right side of the trunk...
    Newer bikes (sometime in '17 model year) come with a usb port and mini-jack port instead of the apple connector. Use your own apple to usb cable to plug your apple into the usb port and you can use the bike's control panel. If you have a non-apple mp3 player with a mini-jack plug use the other lead, but then the bike will only control volume. Either way will send the signal through any Bluetooth installed on the bike.

My problem is getting the Sena BT transmitter sold by BRP to work on my bike. It works fine for the first 10-15 minutes and then it starts cutting out. The dealer who installed it has put in in various locations but no help. I got the Trond device mentioned elsewhere in this forum but it has its own problems (the power supply for the GPS harness comes through the radio and when the Trond is connected it turns off the power coming from the radio to the GPS). I love riding this bike but so far the entertainment package sucks.
    2017 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I only use the USB, a 16g stick has more than 1800 songs (so far) and the handle bar controls work great. We use the BRP dongle to bluetooth the music to our Sena 20 intercom.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Default Search Spyderlovers

The previous replies to your message give you great options. If you want to do more then consider the Sena SM10 and Finless Bob Cable or the BRP SM10 and BRP cable. There has been much discussion on this topic so I suggest you search Spyderlovers using terms like bluetooth, SM10, Sena, MP3 player, etc. Personally I have the BRP SM10 and cable, and an iPod connected to the Apple connection in the rear top case. I placed my SM10 under my seat and it works quite well there. I did this so I could listen to the onboard audio or my iPod through my Sena 20s headset. In reality I don't listen to music much through the headset; I mainly use it for rider to rider communications. So I'm not sure I'd add the SM10 if I were to do it again.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDavis View Post
    Newer bikes (sometime in '17 model year) come with a usb port and mini-jack port instead of the apple connector. Use your own apple to usb cable to plug your apple into the usb port and you can use the bike's control panel. If you have a non-apple mp3 player with a mini-jack plug use the other lead, but then the bike will only control volume. Either way will send the signal through any Bluetooth installed on the bike.

My problem is getting the Sena BT transmitter sold by BRP to work on my bike. It works fine for the first 10-15 minutes and then it starts cutting out. The dealer who installed it has put in in various locations but no help. I got the Trond device mentioned elsewhere in this forum but it has its own problems (the power supply for the GPS harness comes through the radio and when the Trond is connected it turns off the power coming from the radio to the GPS). I love riding this bike but so far the entertainment package sucks.
    Yes it looks as if I have the mini jack port and a USB do not own any Apple products so looking to buy a bluetooth mp3 player and connecting to one of the connectors, from what I can understand that will connect to the radio and play through the RT speakers which is OK but my plan is to get it to play music to my Sena on my helmet.....sooo it looks as if I would have to pair both my Sena and my wifes to the Garmin.....is that possible or can you only connect one Sena ???? I will have my android Samsung S6 also paired to the Garmin as well to be able to get phone calls.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

If you hook your MP3 player, flash drive, or an Apple iPod to the trunk connection you get control of that unit from the dash and handlebar controlls. The player does not need to have bluetooth.

An Apple iPod give you the best functions of control from the handlebars with full display on the dash. The other choices give a limited view on the dash. Personally a Apple iPod is the best way to go. See my video below of it's capabilities.

Now once you have that hooked up in the trunk, you will hear music from it on the speakers ONLY. If you want to hear it in your bluetooth headsets, you need the BT dongle. This is a Sena SM-10 and a cable that also hooks to the radio. This will then take ANY SOUND that can come out the speakers and send it to your headset. Radio, iPod, GPS, etc.
    You can get the more expensive BRP dongle which mounts the SM-10 in the front trunk (requires a lot of panel removal). Or you can contact Motorcycle Dave and order one from him that uses a shorter cable and mounts the SM-10 in the rear trunk. Only one panel needs to be removed (the cover over the radio).

These 2 videos should help understand the iPod and how to install the dongle.

iPod

Dongle cable install

PM me if you would more details and I will give you my phone number and you can call me.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default sena

I have my Samsung s7 paired to the smh10. Can listen to music through the headphones (Pandora). The problem is the speakers are cheap and very tinny sounding. Good luck let us know how it works out
    Paul

Spyder Garage

FYI, when you add the SM-10 and cable again ANYTHING that would come out the speaker goes to your headset.
    The SM-10 supports pairing to 2 helmets! Phones and GPS do not support 2 helmets. So the SM-10 is the way to get "anything you hear" to both helmets.

Also so you know, the GPS connection to the Spyder radio is a MONO connection only. Not stereo. So if you play music from your GPS you are only hearing one side (channel) on the radio speakers. If you listen to music from the GPS paired to helmet you will get stereo but your wife will not hear it. Most devices can only pair and work with one headset.

But there is a trick you can do depending on what headsets you have. The SMH10 and 20S support "media sharing". Thus music you hear in your helmet via Bluetooth can be heard by your wife. But a word of caution reported by others. When you use media sharing, voice commands do not work well and is buggy. So using those 2 together can be problematic. If you don't use voice control then media sharing is a way to get your wife to hear what you hear.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    I have my Samsung s7 paired to the smh10. Can listen to music through the headphones (Pandora). The problem is the speakers are cheap and very tinny sounding. Good luck let us know how it works out
    Paul
    Thanks I did see a Pandora app on the Garmin 590 and I have Pandora on my phone that I use in my car looks as if I need to check that out and see if that works. Yeah I am sure the Sena does not have good music speakers so one more question I only have my smh10 paired to my Garmin will the Garmin accept a second pairing of the smh10???

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydernatic View Post
    Thanks I did see a Pandora app on the Garmin 590 and I have Pandora on my phone that I use in my car looks as if I need to check that out and see if that works. Yeah I am sure the Sena does not have good music speakers so one more question I only have my smh10 paired to my Garmin will the Garmin accept a second pairing of the smh10???
    I answered that above. No... Most devices (Phone, GPS', etc) will only pair to one headset at a time.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I answered that above. No... Most devices (Phone, GPS', etc) will only pair to one headset at a time.

Bob
    Thank you I now see that the sm10 is the way to go to get both helmets receiving music just one more question will the Garmin override the sm10 when playing music and give me the directions to travel.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydernatic View Post
    Thank you I now see that the sm10 is the way to go to get both helmets receiving music just one more question will the Garmin override the sm10 when playing music and give me the directions to travel.

Yes it will.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I have the cables in stock & SM10

I have the Cable and the SM10 in stock for 1/2 the cost of the BRP ones
    and guess what, they are the same unit from SENA ..
    Give me a call
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    The previous replies to your message give you great options. If you want to do more then consider the Sena SM10 and Finless Bob Cable or the BRP SM10 and BRP cable. There has been much discussion on this topic so I suggest you search Spyderlovers using terms like bluetooth, SM10, Sena, MP3 player, etc. Personally I have the BRP SM10 and cable, and an iPod connected to the Apple connection in the rear top case. I placed my SM10 under my seat and it works quite well there. I did this so I could listen to the onboard audio or my iPod through my Sena 20s headset. In reality I don't listen to music much through the headset; I mainly use it for rider to rider communications. So I'm not sure I'd add the SM10 if I were to do it again.

Rob

Spyder Garage

I skimmed thru the other posts and didn't see where anyone had mentioned 2 things that might help you out. First, Sena has an ap you can put on your phone that will allow multiple connections and easier pairing of devices. Second, you said you have a Garmin Zumo 590. It will except a mini sd card under the battery. You can load music on the sd card and stream it thru the Garmin Bluetooth to your sena. That would be an option for you as well.
    2016 F3T SM6 - Wife's Bike - Blank Canvas
    2017 Kawasaki Concours 14
    2016 Victory Magnum - Mods in progress
    2013 Suzuki M109R - Has a few mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    I skimmed thru the other posts and didn't see where anyone had mentioned 2 things that might help you out. First, Sena has an ap you can put on your phone that will allow multiple connections and easier pairing of devices. Second, you said you have a Garmin Zumo 590. It will except a mini sd card under the battery. You can load music on the sd card and stream it thru the Garmin Bluetooth to your sena. That would be an option for you as well.
    I did in fact talk about palying music through the GPS.
    One of the things he wants is for both he and his wife to hear the music. The GPS will only pair with one hedset at a time. Thus he and his wifes headset cannot pair to the GPS at the same time. One or the other.
    But the trick I told him was depending on the headsets, he can use "media sharing" from one headset to the other.

Yes to the question. The GPS will intterupt any music playing from the radio. It will do this on your speakers and if you have the SM-10 in your headsets.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I did in fact talk about palying music through the GPS.
    One of the things he wants is for both he and his wife to hear the music. The GPS will only pair with one hedset at a time. Thus he and his wifes headset cannot pair to the GPS at the same time. One or the other.
    But the trick I told him was depending on the headsets, he can use "media sharing" from one headset to the other.

Yes to the question. The GPS will intterupt any music playing from the radio. It will do this on your speakers and if you have the SM-10 in your headsets.

Bob
    The GPS can be paired to his phone and with the Sena app, he should be able to play to both headsets. I know music I have on my phone can be played to both my wife and my Sena units. Only thing I am unsure of is the GPS connection. I've never used the GPS to play music to my helmet, but I know that is a feature of the 590.
    2016 F3T SM6 - Wife's Bike - Blank Canvas
    2017 Kawasaki Concours 14
    2016 Victory Magnum - Mods in progress
    2013 Suzuki M109R - Has a few mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    The GPS can be paired to his phone and with the Sena app, he should be able to play to both headsets. I know music I have on my phone can be played to both my wife and my Sena units. Only thing I am unsure of is the GPS connection. I've never used the GPS to play music to my helmet, but I know that is a feature of the 590.
    Wow that is interesting, so this morning I paired my Samsung phone to the 590 as this is a new unit (sold the 660) and then paired the Sena smh10 to the 590 all very easy so now you tell me I need to look for a Sena app and pair my phone through that app even though I have just paired it to the GPS...would this not cause a conflict with the pairing. Everything is working just like the old unit I can receive phone calls and get directions from the GPS. I did download a Garmin app onto my phone that gives me a lot more availability of things like weather, traffic etc very nice. I will look into the Sena app and see what can be done with it....thank you
    One strange thing is I have Pandora on my phone and the 590 has it as an app so I got it connected BUT Pandora plays through the Sena as if the song is on fast forward all the time I tried several times to start disconnect re connect but gave up in the end could not figure that out and of course this is only playing to my Sena not on my wifes...OH BOY so I was told I am selfish and only want to hear the music myself so this has to be resolved ha ha me selfish...NEVER.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White