Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Won't downshift? Try this "fix" - UPDATE - caused Turn Signal failure!

Bike: 2020 Spyder RT with SE6
    Problem: Intermittent won't downshift manually. Now won't shift at all manually.
    Diagnosis: Downshift paddle doesn't fully engage shift switch membrane. I can disassemble the LH multifunction switch assembly and shift up & down with my finger tip.

In 2018 a TSB was issued regarding this problem with Spyder's (F3 & RT)-Bulletin 2018-005. I have not read of later 2020 RT's having this issue, but thought I'd post what fixed my problem.

My issue began a couple of months ago with around 13000 miles on it. Once and again it would take 2-4 tries to manually downshift. On a 600 mile round trip Thursday and Friday, manually downshifting was almost impossible and reverse was a frustrating, multiple-attempt, interspersed with a few verbal assaults.
    After learning that the LH multifunction switch assembly is $560, I set out to "McGiver it" if possible. I determined that I could manually shift with my fingertip directly on the membrane pad shown in photo 4, and that pointed to the paddle not fully engaging the microswitch on the downshift side.
    I found that a common BB was a tiny bit larger than the ball bearing in the switch assembly so, by replacing the downshift ball bearing with the BB, the switch membrane was closer to the paddle mechanism. VOILA! It now shifts smoothly up & down every time! Photo 6 shows the only tools required. Hope this helps someone else.
    I'll update this thread after putting some miles on it.

UPDATE 5/29/23: As is sometimes the case that alterations have unforeseen issues, I learned this morning that the turn signals don't work after this fix, and I owe it to you to point that out. Not being able to downshift manually is not acceptable to me, but not having turn signals is not acceptable either. The issue is that the turn signals use the same ball bearings as contacts for both shifting and turn signals.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-29-2023 at 07:07 PM. Reason: OP's post update ... ;-)
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

Now that Post is totally awesome .

Thank you Sir.

Late edit.

Did you get to measure the size of the balls at all?
    177 / 4.5 perhaps?
    Last edited by Isopedella; 05-27-2023 at 01:09 PM.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Now that Post is totally awesome .

Thank you Sir.

Late edit.

Did you get to measure the size of the balls at all?
    177 / 4.5 perhaps?
    Yes, meant to include that data... OEM ball bearing is 3.96mm and the BB is 4.38mm
    John B.

Spyder Garage

Brilliant, Brilliant post. thanks.

Spyder Garage

Thank you!!!!!
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

John, did you replace both ball bearings with BB's or just the downshift one?? My F3-T is in the shop for a second time with shifting problems. If they tell me there's nothing wrong that they could find, as I was told recently in Houston, then I do believe that I will be delving into mine for a fix.

Al in Kazoo
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-29-2023 at 12:06 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

An absolute brilliant solution. And very nicely explained too.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

IMPORTANT: see original post for an update at the bottom. jb
    John B.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJohn View Post
    IMPORTANT: see original post for an update at the bottom. jb
    Well that's sucky, fixes the shifting but disables the turn signals. Please keep us up dated if you find a work around.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Small cup shaped spacer. Possibly shaped with a ball-peen hammer from a cut up Baked Bean can for instance?
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all. I'm embarrassed and apologize for not waiting a few days to make the original post. My elation at having the downshifting issue resolved made me want to share it with others having the issue.
    I do have a couple of ideas floating around, but am going riding today with a couple of buddies, so will work on solving the turn signal issue tomorrow.
    The photo below shows the assembly with the back cover removed and the micro switch pulled back. The two arrows point to the two ball bearings, the lower-right of which is the (larger) BB for downshifting. it is stuck in the housing, causing the turn signal apparatus (hidden below) to malfunction. The ball bearings must float in the housing.
    I do think a solution can be found ("glass half-full") and will post again later in any regard.

IMG_7382 2.JPG
    Last edited by BamaJohn; 05-30-2023 at 05:05 AM.
    John B.

Spyder Garage

I just purchased a set of these, the sizes are listed on the top lid, is there something here that might be between the bb and oem ball?
    If so, I could mail you a couple if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BXDF1YFL...roduct_details
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I just purchased a set of these, the sizes are listed on the top lid, is there something here that might be between the bb and oem ball?
    If so, I could mail you a couple if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BXDF1YFL...roduct_details
    Looks like you will have a bunch of the stock size balls. 3.96 mm The next size up in that box is much larger than a BB.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Looks like you will have a bunch of the stock size balls. 3.96 mm The next size up in that box is much larger than a BB.
    I didn't purchase these for that purpose but like you said, I'll have a bunch of spares...lol.
    I thought just maybe one might work.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I wonder if a straight up 4mm ball would fit and work? Amazon has this
    https://a.co/d/0qHnlb1
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Have you taken a look at the springs for those balls. I had shifting issues previously on my 2014 RTL and one of the springs was compressed (broken) replaced it and the issue was fixed.
    2014 RTL

Spyder Garage

Final update on original post

I'm sorry to report that all attempts to diagnose and remedy the LH multi-function switch issue of not downshifting manually, have failed (fixing the shifting issue just transferred the problem to the turn signals) and I ordered a new Multi-function switch assembly yesterday from a local dealer (PN 710008090) at a cost of $509.99 plus tax). I will install it myself, and already have the failed switch removed.
    I don't fault the local dealer for BRP's failure to address and stand behind a known fault of this multi-function switch cluster.... BMW does the same thing. The local dealer's hands are tied, leaving me to fight the battle. So, right now, I'm finalizing plans on a 3,000 mile trip beginning July 4.....to the 3-wheel rally in Deadwood; Cody WY; Chief Joseph Highway/Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge MT; down to Yellowstone; and then heading back home.
    John B.

Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to report that all attempts to diagnose and remedy the LH multi-function switch issue of not downshifting manually, have failed (fixing the shifting issue just transferred the problem to the turn signals) and I ordered a new Multi-function switch assembly yesterday from a local dealer (PN 710008090) at a cost of $509.99 plus tax). I will install it myself, and already have the failed switch removed.
    I don't fault the local dealer for BRP's failure to address and stand behind a known fault of this multi-function switch cluster.... BMW does the same thing. The local dealer's hands are tied, leaving me to fight the battle. So, right now, I'm finalizing plans on a 3,000 mile trip beginning July 4.....to the 3-wheel rally in Deadwood; Cody WY; Chief Joseph Highway/Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge MT; down to Yellowstone; and then heading back home.

Ya gave it a good crack anyway. Thanks for sharing.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Seems like an EXTREME alternative would be to remove the SE actuator & go manual somehow. How to down shift without a clutch handle, I am curious if it's actually feasible?? (**underrating is: all are Manual tranny with shift solenoid & programming added for SE**)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-28-2023 at 01:27 AM. Reason: **

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default I have the same issue on my 2020 RTL.

How did you get the instrument console lifted to get to the wiring to replace the lh module??

Spyder Garage

BamaJohn, I think I discovered where you went wrong. The pic shows you putting the BB on the turn signal side of the switch. This pad is double sided. One side does the turn signals and the other does the shifting. You need to put the BB on the shifter side of the switch. Careful when you take the shift mechanism apart to change out the ball for the BB as there is a spring loaded detent ball that will come flying out. Fixed one today that way. I hope it holds up. Will try and do a better description later.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    I wonder if a straight up 4mm ball would fit and work? Amazon has this
    https://a.co/d/0qHnlb1
    That LINK includes quite a few different sizes if the 4mm isn't correct ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    That LINK includes quite a few different sizes if the 4mm isn't correct ..... Mike
    So whats the correct size range?
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Seems like EXTREME alternative would be remove the SE actuator & go manual some how. How down shift without clutch handle, am curios if actually feasible. (**underrating is: all are Manual tranny with shift solenoid & programming added for SE**)
    It is possible to shift up/down with my fingers pushing the little micro-switch plate inside the LH multi-switch. Removing the shift paddle assembly gains access to the micro-switch plate. (I was at a stage of knowing that replacement of the whole LH switch was imminent, and tried switching with my fingers on the micro-switch plate, just to see if it was in the switch or the paddle shifter assembly.)
    John B.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JhDb123 View Post
    How did you get the instrument console lifted to get to the wiring to replace the lh module??
    ....by removing side mirrors; the black plastic "surround" behind the mirrors; the entire windshield apparatus; if I remember correctly, the next step is to remove 2 small black screws at the arms that raise the windshield & lift off the dash cover. Then remove both headlights...... it is quite a detailed job to do because the LH Multi-switch plugs in on the RH side of the Spyder... I'm sure there's a good reason for that.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-28-2023 at 01:30 AM. Reason: spyer... ;-)
    John B.