Spyder Garage

Default Replacing Camshaft Sensor - is there enough clearance for allen key type torx?

Based on the error code, I will attempt to replace the CAPS on my 2016 RT-S. I have located what I believe is the sensor. It looks like a small torx bolt that needs to be dealt with. Very limited clearance. I think I can cut the cable tie that holds the sensor lead and one other lead. However, I don't know if this will provide enough clearance for an allen-type torx key. Any suggestions for what to use?

Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-13-2024 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2016 RT-S SE6 White
    5000 miles

Spyder Garage
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

They should if they will fit in the space given. You said you had very limited clearence and those look a little long. Have you tried them yet? When I have a tight clearence I have a 1/4 drive set I can use or a long torx bit that reaches out past any obstruction with a bit driver. Try what you have and see if it will work. That will give you an idea as to where to go.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 03-14-2024 at 09:45 AM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I think long torx bits will hit the oil filter. I am thinking maybe something like this would work, but I don't have one to try:

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piec...4aAq4gEALw_wcB
    Last edited by drgw222; 03-14-2024 at 01:38 PM.
    2016 RT-S SE6 White
    5000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by drgw222 View Post
    I think long torx bits will hit the oil filter. I am thinking maybe something like this would work, but I don't have one to try:

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piec...4aAq4gEALw_wcB
    I have had one of those for years, and it is great to get into some really tight spaces. I wonder what a dealer uses to change the sensor.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    I have had one of those for years, and it is great to get into some really tight spaces. I wonder what a dealer uses to change the sensor.
    That's what I would like to know.
    2016 RT-S SE6 White
    5000 miles

Spyder Garage

Here is an update. I loosened the bolt with a T27 torx key. It came in at an angle but got the screw started. The screw is a 6 mm with an 8mm hex head and a T30. The connector had oil in it. I ordered a replacement which had too small a hole for the 6mm screw. But while I had the new one, I weighed it and the unit I removed from the Spyder. One I took out was 30.3 grams, and the incorrect replacement was 26.3 g. I doubt there was 4 g of oil in the sensor?? Anyway, I cleaned the contacts on the one I removed and put it back in. The Spyder runs fine so far. Screen showed the P0340 and P0000. After a ride, both fault codes disappeared. I just received another replacement from China and it looks to be all one-piece plastic, while the one I took out looked to have a metal body for part of it. Perhaps the all-plastic will not leak?

It is difficult to find magnetic susceptibility for motor oil because it depends on additives among other things. However, oil has virtually no effect on magnetic fields, which is probably how the sensor works. But oil is not conductive either, so I am surprised that oil on the contacts would be a problem either.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-28-2024 at 08:03 PM.
    2016 RT-S SE6 White
    5000 miles