Spyder Garage

Default 2018 Gauge Cluster Backward Compatible?

I am sure this question has been asked a 1000 times, but yet I cannot find it anywhere. Does / or has any one heard if the 2018 gauge cluster will be backward compatible to 2015-2017?

Thanks,

ARsquatch
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you referring to swapping the cluster with a 2017 models down?

Spyder Garage

Default Yes...

The cluster looks nice and the built in Nav is really and added bonus. It reminds me a lot of the HD Mount Rushmore package. So I am hoping the cluster will be backward compatible to where I could remove my current cluster (2015) and install the new cluster??? I have not heard if this was going to be possible or not.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Default 2018 Gauges

Quote Originally Posted by arsquatch View Post
    I am sure this question has been asked a 1000 times, but yet I cannot find it anywhere. Does / or has any one heard if the 2018 gauge cluster will be backward compatible to 2015-2017? Thanks, ARsquatch
    I posed the question to my Dealer, and he reported that this would not be possible.
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

Does not appear that will be possible. I am thinking wiring nightmare. Also, since they want to sell 2018 and up, why retro fit the other stock out there?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

To keep customers happy and coming back.... Or at least that would be my thought process.....
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

To keep customers happy and coming back.... Or at least that would be my thought process.....
    I do agree--a valid point. Now if we can just convince the marketing department.

They gave us Danica Patrick, the Triple Black--revealed at Sturgis, and others--which I will not mention here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Does not appear that will be possible. I am thinking wiring nightmare. Also, since they want to sell 2018 and up, why retro fit the other stock out there?

I would think that the CANBUS communication would be different so the wiring harness and any modules on the CANBUS would need to be updated to 2018 stuff.

It would be nice though if someone found a work around so the new dash could be put in with minimal effort on a pre-2018 spyder.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It will not be possible. The dash is entirely different, to accommodate additional speakers. As Aks said BRP needs to keep moving forward. Just look at the number of people on this board that trade in their spyders every couple of years to get the latest and greatest. BRP exists for new business, not support for older business, they have a dealer network for that. BTW the 1330 motor isn't going to fit into an '08 GS either!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NEW DASH CLUSTER

Since it's not compatible the question is now moot ......... However if you could do the swap , would it be worth $1000.00 to do it ??? ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Not going to happen....

It is not only the cluster involved here and to make it work you would be better off trading up...Now that is what they really want...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Since it's not compatible the question is now moot ......... However if you could do the swap , would it be worth $1000.00 to do it ??? ...... Mike
    If it was Plug n Play I would probably drop $1000 on it.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Another card on the NOT pile.

Early on, I went for a bunch of $1K options. Not any more.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

There is much more that has changed than the cluster and the controls. The entire electronics package is different. Even BUDS will not talk to them, requires an entirely new BUDS2 software package....for another $1500 on top of the licence already purchased and still valid.

Its a whole new game. Just shares some body panels......

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's a whole lot more to this; than meets the eye...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    The hand controls that communicate with the new dash are different also, so simply swapping out the dash would not work.
    Not only are the handlebar controls different, the radio is part of the cluster, not separate. We still don't know what the situation is with XM and CB. The catalog lists the CB, XM, and audio as being for 2010-2017. The controller in the handlebar and the audio unit communicate with the cluster via CANbus. Since those are both different now, there's no way the new cluster will communicate with the current stuff.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)