Thread: Genous Maps

Spyder Garage

Default Genous Maps

So it looks like the navigation app compatible with the 2018 new display is Genius Maps. I am wondering if anyone is currently or recently used that app on their smartphone or tablet. There is a revue of the app by CNET in 2014 that was not very complimentary. But that's more than 3 years ago. An eternity in the app world. It looks like it is free for a short time and then you have to pay for the maps.

So anyone using this app?

https://www.cnet.com/products/genius-maps/review/

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can't you display any app on your phone on the new display? If so (and that's the way I understand it works) that means you can use any navigation app you like (that's on your phone) on the display.

Spyder Garage

From the BRP news release and I quote.

The system is extremely intuitive, simple to operate and significantly enhances the rider experience. A new joystick control is mounted near the left handgrip, ensuring riders can keep their hands on the handlebars and remain focused on the road ahead. Large, dual 4.3” screens provide optimal viewing from all angles, and information such as fuel level and speed are always visible. The opposite side of the screen can display compatible apps specifically adapted for riders with minimal effort required to navigate.
    Initial compatible apps include the following, with more to come:

• Genius Maps: advanced GPS navigation platform that requires no internet connection
    • Music: sort easily through personal music libraries for the perfect playlist
    • AccuWeather: be prepared for the elements and pack accordingly with real-time weather information
    • Rever: connect with friends on the go, share rides and discover new roads

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Huh, well looks like you are correct. Sorry about the wrong info. That makes the new display much less useful than I had previously thought.

I don't understand why the automotive companies of the world and the smartphone companies of the world can't standardize on a specification so any smart phone would be able to be displayed and controlled on your displays. I mean Audi (and some others) use Apple Car Play to do this on their vehicles now and other companies use Android Auto to make this work. A common standard would be so much easier.

Wonder why BRP doesn't include Apple Car Play or Android Auto with the display so there is seamless phone compatibility. I guess they rely on BRP connect but obviously its abilities are limited. They probably don't want to pay the licensing fees?

Spyder Garage

Not sure what their thinking was/is. But I would not like people having access to facebook or a sudoku app on the screen. So I am not totally against restricting apps. It looks like I may not like BRP's choice for apps that are compatible.
    Last edited by billybovine; 10-24-2017 at 06:23 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I could be way wrong but the other day when I was reading some info about the new cluster I got the idea the cluster itself may have connectivity via cell phone service to the home base of the apps. You know, something of the sort like home alarm systems and CPAP machines use to phone home. You pay for a subscription service that uses the cell phone network, but you don't have an all purpose cell phone connection.

Some day we'll know, when BRP is ready to explain it all.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I could be totally wrong here, but based on what I read from the CNET article link to by Billy and what I read from Google Play page for the app and the software website (Genius Maps) , I'm not impressed.

It appears that while it does not need an internet connection to work, it is dependent on your device and you have to download the maps to your device ahead of time.

Also some features seem to be available only for a fee.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

Some of the images I saw of the 2018 models displayed Rever on the screen. That's what I use on my phone when riding.
    ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
    2012 Spyder RS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RiverCity45 View Post
    Some of the images I saw of the 2018 models displayed Rever on the screen. That's what I use on my phone when riding.
    Well I did not pick up that REVER is a navigation app. From BRP's description I thought it was some type of social media crap. I will have to look look into that.

Since you use REVER already. Could you give us your thoughts on it?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    Huh, well looks like you are correct. Sorry about the wrong info. That makes the new display much less useful than I had previously thought.

I don't understand why the automotive companies of the world and the smartphone companies of the world can't standardize on a specification so any smart phone would be able to be displayed and controlled on your displays. I mean Audi (and some others) use Apple Car Play to do this on their vehicles now and other companies use Android Auto to make this work. A common standard would be so much easier.

Wonder why BRP doesn't include Apple Car Play or Android Auto with the display so there is seamless phone compatibility. I guess they rely on BRP connect but obviously its abilities are limited. They probably don't want to pay the licensing fees?
    Likenthe 2018 Honda GoldWing, it has Apple Car Play, very smart
    2015 RT L , Red

Spyder Garage

Default The new Goldwing is looking good

Looks like a very nice upgrade to the wing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/moto...z&ocid=BDT3DHP
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Spyder Garage

Rever is a bit of both. Looks like you can create routes, publish routes, socialize all within the same app. Here is a link to their website https://rever.co. What I find odd is the offline feature for using their maps is part of their subscription plan for $59.99 / year. Makes the app a bit less than useful unless you want to purchase the subscription. Here is a link to a list of its features https://rever.co/price/

I agree with everyone else. BRP really missed the mark with this new cluster when they did not incorporate Apple CarPlay and the Android equivalent. I was really hoping this would give me choices on GPS, weather, etc. instead of limiting me to their choices.

Does anyone have a list of what apps are BRP Connect compatible? The only thing I see is what was listed above from the Spyder features page.
    Last edited by BitSlayer; 11-07-2017 at 03:23 PM.
    Regards,
    BitSlayer

2015 Spyder RT Limited - Perl White
    - Having fun with my knees in the breeze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ottawa-rider View Post
    I could be totally wrong here, but based on what I read from the CNET article link to by Billy and what I read from Google Play page for the app and the software website (Genius Maps) , I'm not impressed.
    It appears that while it does not need an internet connection to work, it is dependent on your device and you have to download the maps to your device ahead of time.
    Also some features seem to be available only for a fee.
    I downloaded Genius Maps to my Android phone just to see how it works in my car. Here's what I found:
    1. You have to download from a menu which map(s) you want to use. They divide the US into geographic sections.
    2. IF you want voice directions, you have to pay a fee for the PRO version of the app.
    For me it's a useless in its standard form. I really hope that BRP's offering the PRO version of Genius Maps FREE. Just don't think fee based apps will fly with the Spyder Community. I am sure that the digital dash will be implemented across the Spyder line in the future.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    So it looks like the navigation app compatible with the 2018 new display is Genius Maps. I am wondering if anyone is currently or recently used that app on their smartphone or tablet. There is a revue of the app by CNET in 2014 that was not very complimentary. But that's more than 3 years ago. An eternity in the app world. It looks like it is free for a short time and then you have to pay for the maps. So anyone using this app?
    https://www.cnet.com/products/genius-maps/review/
    If you have built-in navigation in your truck or car, chances are it's the Genius Maps. They typically have not sold direct to the public, but are popular with vehicle manufacturers, I believe.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BitSlayer View Post
    I agree with everyone else. BRP really missed the mark with this new cluster when they did not incorporate Apple CarPlay and the Android equivalent. I was really hoping this would give me choices on GPS, weather, etc. instead of limiting me to their choices.
    Wouldn't that make the GPS dependent on your smart phone cellular connection?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    If you have built-in navigation in your truck or car, chances are it's the Genius Maps. They typically have not sold direct to the public, but are popular with vehicle manufacturers, I believe.
    My 2017 Ram built-in navigation is from Garmin. Garmin get their maps from HERE formerly called NAVTEQ and so does Genius Maps.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure about only using Genius maps. I downloaded the free Genius maps on my phone and was playing with BRP Connect.
    I then looked at BRP Connect and it gave me 2 options for maps. Genius and maps. When I clicked on maps it was google maps.
    I don't have my new bike yet to see if it will work on the bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Wouldn't that make the GPS dependent on your smart phone cellular connection?

No, Thats what they chose Genius Maps because it is not cell service required. There are a lot of areas that don't have cell service, yet.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red