Thread: New to Spyders

Spyder Garage

Default New to Spyders

I have beenp reading lots of post and have been debating what spyder should I get. I have several health issues and may need a wheelchair in the future. Right now we are talking surgery and hopefully that will slow things down. I have sever back pain and arthritis throughout my body so riding two wheels are very difficult on days I have flares. For those that have fibromyalgia, are you able to ride your spyder on bad days? I know with my arthritis I will need to get the clutch adjusted so that it is easier to pull back on. I will also need to figure away to carry either my can or walker. How hard is it to steer? I know that the harley trikes took to much for me to turn. I have a two wheel motorcycle that I love I had to down size form my softail to a honda 600 because of the weight but even that on bad days I am afraid of dropping it at stop signs. Another thing, I do not like the f3 when I sat on it because my feet where to far forward and put a lot of pressure on my tailbone and I had a hard time getting off it after sitting on it for a short time while the salesman talked about some of the features to the point where most of what he said I cannot even remember because I became so week and sick from the pain. Are all the spyders going to have your feet out front or will some have them so they are more like a honda shadow. (mid controls I believe they are called.) I have not been back to a dealership since then because I am waiting on surgery to see if that helps.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NEWBIE

..... If you get a Spyder ... I think you might like an RT, if you let us know APPROXIMATELY where you live we could direct you to a more People Friendly Dealer ..... And get it with the Semi-auto transmission.... NO CLUTCHING ... you shift with your left thumb ( for up-shifts ) and left index finger ( for down-shifts ) ..... I had Manual trans bikes for 50 + years ... the BRP semi-auto has them beat by miles ...... and get one with the 1330 engine , way less maintenance & cost to operate ..... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-23-2017 at 12:18 AM.

Spyder Garage

I live in western NY close to PA. I am willing to travel to get a good deal once I try one out and sure that is what will work for me. I will look into the se.

Spyder Garage

Default Agree....

Mike
    the RT will suit you best and the semi auto with paddle shifter will eliminate your cliutch issuue. The spyder has dynamic power steering making steering very easy. A test ryde will show it all...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I am familiar with the Shadow and the mid controls that you are referring to. I have the base model RT and the riding position is very close to what my Goldwing was. I installed LaMonts highway pegs and they are very close to the mid position like you would have on the Shadow. However your legs are spread wider on the RT than they would be on the Shadow.
    2015 RT , Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yes try to get the RT. They ride so nice and the semi auto trans is wonderful and easy to deal with than the standard shift. And go for the 1330 engine to. Good luck on the search.

Spyder Garage

It also sounds to me like an RT will better suit you. A test drive will help with the decision. I also do not like the "ergo's" of the F3. Sticking with what I have.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red