Spyder Garage

Default Belt tension roller spring

I had the BRP tension arm with a roller from another provider. It looked like it was only covering 90% of the belt so I ordered the BRP tension arm spring roller on Ebay for $39. Upon removing the old roller arm I noticed the spring had lost 50% of it's tension from dirt/corrosion in the spring etc. Considering the spring is tightly mfg between rolls--I thought this was weird. Anyone else notice a reduced tension on the belt anti vibration roller assy?
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

I don't know BuT after lowering my belt tension to 100 Pds I AM Noticing Quite a bit more vibration, Especially when you let off the throttle SO I'm thinking of the BRP $35 fix?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I don't know BuT after lowering my belt tension to 100 Pds I AM Noticing Quite a bit more vibration, Especially when you let off the throttle SO I'm thinking of the BRP $35 fix?
    Don’t do it, the BRP part is failing st s high rate. Get the one from Roadster Renovations instead. It is worth the extra money.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default spring

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Don’t do it, the BRP part is failing st s high rate. Get the one from Roadster Renovations instead. It is worth the extra money.
    sorry Anne but I think your wrong most of my friends have BRP belt tensioner with no problems, I had roadster renovation tensioners on both my spiders and they both broke springs. The F3 after 4000miles I am going to the $37 tensioners
    Paul

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    sorry Anne but I think your wrong most of my friends have BRP belt tensioner with no problems, I had roadster renovation tensioners on both my spiders and they both broke springs. The F3 after 4000miles I am going to the $37 tensioners
    Paul
    Paul, all you had to do was send us pictures of the broken springs and we would have sent you replacements at no charge. The new spring are stouter with a larger diameter. Just need to send the pictures to: roadsterenovations@gmail.com.
    And, btw, you might replace the springs on them and sell them here. They won't sit long.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Sarge--maybe you should increase the krikit tension to 130 -135-140 lbs. I get different Krikit reading depending on my eyesight on the measurement day.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Paul

Good luck with that. But if you hardly ride you might be okay but watch out if you hit the highway. Okay one mile then shot the next. We removed one at the rally this weekend and installed one of Docs for someone who had the BRP one break and destroy his belt.
    Last edited by SpyderAnn01; 10-23-2017 at 11:10 PM.

2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....

Would be nice to know the ryding style of those that have had the BRP tensioner fail. There are many that have no problems and many who have. Guessing the 100mile weekend ryders don't have the problem yet or may never have a problem. The high mileage w/freeway users do and will have problems along the way. I do like the materials and design of Doc''s tensioner but in part its that I don't like plastic parts on machines unless they are cosmetic panels...The hiem joints come to mind....Nice thing is I have the smoothspyder tensioner of yore and the spring tension is adjustable...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default tensioner

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Would be nice to know the ryding style of those that have had the BRP tensioner fail. There are many that have no problems and many who have. Guessing the 100mile weekend ryders don't have the problem yet or may never have a problem. The high mileage w/freeway users do and will have problems along the way. I do like the materials and design of Doc''s tensioner but in part its that I don't like plastic parts on machines unless they are cosmetic panels...The hiem joints come to mind....Nice thing is I have the smoothspyder tensioner of yore and the spring tension is adjustable...
    Just to shed some light on your question. Copperman and I just finished a 2 week, 5500 mile trip to Utah. He has a BRP tensioner with over 20,000 on it. when we got back his tensioner was fine, while my R.R. tensioner was flopping around and hitting the bottom of the gas tank. Don't know what Anne's motivation is but trashing BRP's products on here doesn't set well with me. Was not going to say anything but after seeing Doc's tirade against BRP in another thread I can no longer keep my mouth shut

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just to shed some light on your question. Copperman and I just finished a 2 week, 5500 mile trip to Utah. He has a BRP tensioner with over 20,000 on it. when we got back his tensioner was fine, while my R.R. tensioner was flopping around and hitting the bottom of the gas tank. Don't know what Anne's motivation is but trashing BRP's products on here doesn't set well with me. Was not going to say anything but after seeing Doc's tirade against BRP in another thread I can no longer keep my mouth shut
    You are lucky that you got a good one. As I said, it is a hit and miss. And if the worse that has occurred with our kits is a spring failure, it is kind of understandable since the original ones were based upon BRPs, which are are also breaking too.
    And for the record, if BRP has a good product, I am just as enthusiastic about it. If you will look back on my numerous posts about other areas of the bykes; weak side case hinges, no protection for the air bag, front pulley issues, kendra tires, no shock adjustment on the RT, tail light lenses that fall out, etc., etc., you will find me just as vocal.
    I am beginning to think that 4 or 5 of the good 'ole boys have decided to wage a war on here about our products. I called it on the BRP idler back at the end of the year that they were not well made and they would be a problem. That is why I made ours in the first place. Every improvement we have fabbed up was not necessary if they had been doing the job they should have been doing.

Spyder Garage

So greybeard, I’m just trying to clarify a couple of points in my own mind.

Are you saying that your issue with the RR tensioner is because Doc’s spring broke? If that’s the case, Doc has put his hand up and pleaded guilty to an issue with the early springs and is offering a stiffer replacement which makes that a non issue......or was there another problem with the RR?

If the issue with the RR is just the early springs, then surely the RR issue is not as serious (and has been resolved in the current models) as the potential of any current BRP tensioner to effectively disintegrate in some instances, damaging the belt at the same time.......and with zero acknowledgement from BRP thus far.

If the above is a fair précis, there is no doubt in my mind that I should remove the BRP tensioner and replace it with the current model RR, as I simply do not want that potential BRP failure hanging over my head. (Even though I may never see it)

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    Sarge--maybe you should increase the krikit tension to 130 -135-140 lbs. I get different Krikit reading depending on my eyesight on the measurement day.
    Darrell
    140 was better BUT even 100 is WELL above the 300 neutons? I don't mind the mild vibrations and 100 is as low as I will go- I get 100 On the ground AND off the ground because the 2UP shock is SO stiff it doesn't seem to matter? The 2 UP shock with a 210 pound rider is Not exactly like my air shock on the RT was?
    When I can afford a better shock I will buy one OF Course after I replace the front sprocket in the spring -To Be Safe.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default Confused about vendors for tensioner

http://www.smoothspyder.com/
    This is a vendor listed on the home page as a sponsor. Before I ordered one I had a very informative conversation which convinced me that his product will meet my needs. EVERYTHING is extremely heavy duty including the size and strength of the roller. It works as advertised for vibration reduction.
    Has anyone had a negative experience with the smooth spyder tensioner?

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

First it is Ann, no E, thank you. I was sitting at a table in Valcourt with 4 F3 owners and 3 of them had BRP tensioners that failed. Since then we have removed three that had failed and were damaging the belts. I guess my motivation would be that I don’t want to see someone stuck on the side of the road with a broken belt.

Even Lamont removed his from his F3.

2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Re BRP tensioner

Paul
    I had one took it off vibration still there it just moved it to a different speed

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RudyB View Post
    I had one took it off vibration still there it just moved it to a different speed
    Which one, Rudi? Both BRP and RR were mentioned in that post

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

The " Stealership" asks $34 FOR theirs. What does the other guy want for theirs?

Spyder Garage

the price difference is more than just extra money!