Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW myth

Spyder Garage

Default BMW myth

I see and hear a lot about BMW riders being stick up. To day we were parked by the lake and A BMW pulled up next to us. The guy got off his bike and walked over to us. He was very nice, asked questions about our spyder . We had a nice discussion. After wished each other well and rode off .
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've had most BMW, Honda, Kawasaki, Harley, Victory, etc. riders wave as they go by. Far and away, the majority who don't wave are Harley riders but that is most likely due to the fact that they are the most populous among riders.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Default Always a few...

Sour apples in the barrel...I have met them both but don't judge them all because of that. Glad you met a good one.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have been a BMW rider when I had many BMW motorcycles as well as two M branded BMW cars. The bikers are wonderful folks as are "most" Bmw car owners. There are some car owners that I believe are a bit of an snobby person. All you have to do is say you love their car and ask some question and they will be your best friend. Of course this is my experience!.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's not the ride: it's the rider!
    Glad to see that you found someone who could appreciate another bike for what is it...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Great

I experience positive interactions with 99.9% of the riders I meet. The rest are rounding errors.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    I see and hear a lot about BMW riders being stick up. To day we were parked by the lake and A BMW pulled up next to us. The guy got off his bike and walked over to us. He was very nice, asked questions about our spyder . We had a nice discussion. After wished each other well and rode off .
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    I've had most BMW, Honda, Kawasaki, Harley, Victory, etc. riders wave as they go by. Far and away, the majority who don't wave are Harley riders but that is most likely due to the fact that they are the most populous among riders.
    Most other riders wave back to me. There's no pattern of type of bike whose rider doesn't. Except for crotch rockets of course - they're in a world of their own.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default No waves........

No waves from the crotch rocket guys/gals (most of the time) or the ape hanger guys. On occasion the ape hanger guys will give the middle finger wave.

Spyder Garage

Default A former BMW owner

I bought a BMW 800 street bike after a V-Strom 650 and later a Triumph Tiger 800. I rode it for a year before deciding to sell it (long story) and attended a national and state BMW rally. I found the people there just as nice as at a general rally I attended in the past, except they did not have Christian bikers who had coffee waiting for everybody in the morning.

Looking forward to making a final decision on a Spyder tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

There are always a few who get the most publicity--allowing us to "type" riders into categories.

I have met a few of the "categoried" riders, but overall, to paraphrase the Honda commercial from the 60's, "you meet the nicest people on a (fill in the blank)."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Just rember........

Quote Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post

Looking forward to making a final decision on a Spyder tomorrow.
    Pick a good dealer with a shop/service manager who you can trust and get along with; because after the purchase you won't get any help from BRP! The only time they'll contact you is when the new models come out and they want you to buy a new one.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    There are undoubtedly "nice" Beemer riders but significantly, the ones I've met on the road are very snobbish. Maybe that is a requirement to buy one I don't know but it has happened to me whether I am riding my Wing, crotch rocket (Bandit) or street cruiser. They don't seem to consider a trike as a "real" motorcycle (or don't know what it is).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post
    I bought a BMW 800 street bike after a V-Strom 650 and later a Triumph Tiger 800. I rode it for a year before deciding to sell it (long story) and attended a national and state BMW rally. I found the people there just as nice as at a general rally I attended in the past, except they did not have Christian bikers who had coffee waiting for everybody in the morning. Looking forward to making a final decision on a Spyder tomorrow.
    I don't understand that comment.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Another point: I have only met two BMW "snobs." And, I have been riding since the early 1960's.

I almost bought one myself. In 1978, I test drove a BMW 650 and compared it to the Kawi 650/4. As I was riding the Beemer, it was like I kept hearing this gestapo type voice in my head..."Ve have vays of making you ride." The ride--to me--was a bit stiff and uncomfortable. I am sure I would have liked it had I stayed with it.

I ended up with the Kawi 650. I "vetterized" it with fairing and saddlebags. Added a LTD seat and a passenger back bar. It was beautiful and I made many trips on it from IN to MN.

I do like the new BMW "cruiser," yes, 1600 B, all the new bells & whistles and with the six cylinder 1600 engine with bags and no top trunk. Five years ago, I think I would have jumped aboard--but also kept a

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The few times I've met and talked with BMW riders it was a great experience. One impression I have gotten about BMW riders is that the BMW organization is as passionate about rider safety and training as is Goldwing Road Riders. I just wish that same passion would permeate Spyder Ryders of America.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Most BMW riders wave... BMW's are a touring favorite and I think when they see a spyder out on the road loaded down with bags and additional soft luggage or a trailer they know we are into touring too...
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    No waves from the crotch rocket guys/gals (most of the time)....
    If you had to ride in the crotch rocket position for an extended period, you would be grumpy too!

Spyder Garage

Default long time BMW fan here

I started riding BMWs in 1977 and found the first few years to be a bit different as far as riders of other brands were concerned, but mostly one of quiet respect as fellow bikers all around. One of my best friends back in those days was a hard-core Harley rider. We poked a little fun at each other a bit but it never got serious or heated like I have experienced since I came off a 20 year hiatus from riding in April of 2000. Seems now-a-days the brand snobbery is found more amongst the HD crowd than anywhere else. I cannot count the number of HD owners I have encountered who are dead serious when they make some comment about if it's not a Harley then it's not a "real" motorcycle. I have never heard someone owning other brand make a statement even closely hinting at that thought. I have gotten so tired of that crap, I pretty much won't hang out with any HD riders when there are more than one or two. The few friends I have that ride them, are OK to be around so long as there is not a whole bunch of their HD buddies around that they are trying to impress with ditzing other brands. Of course my favorite response to them is to say, "let's go for a little ride of say---400 miles on some twisty roads. Then when you finally catch up with me, explain why it is your "real" motorcycle is unable to keep up with my "pretend" one". Needless to say, no one has yet taken me up on that challenge; probably because for most of them, that is about a quarter of the miles they ride for the year. I suspect I may have to make the same challenge with the Spyder some day.

As for BMW riders, yes there are a lot of them who have a mightier than thou attitude. The group on BMW Sport-Touring web page was pretty snobby as is the bunch in the MOA. Otherwise all that I have known personally, have been great guys who will bend over backwards to help a fellow biker no matter what brand they are riding.
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 10-23-2017 at 11:13 AM.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post

As for BMW riders, yes there are a lot of them who have a mightier than thou attitude. The group on BMW Sport-Touring web page was pretty snobby as is the bunch in the MOA. Otherwise all that I have known personally, have been great guys who will bend over backwards to help a fellow biker no matter what brand they are riding.
    Every forum has a few obnoxious posters that seem to have little time to ride, as their post count is up to 20,000.
    A few obnoxious loudmouths can cause us to feel that's the norm for that group.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here's a quote from the local BMW club bylaws that could cause one to think the attitude comment has merit.

BAVARIAN MOUNTAIN WEST MOTORCYCLE CLUB OF IDAHO, Incorporated (BMW Motorcycle Club of Idaho, INC) April 2012
    ARTICLE I NAME, ORGANIZATION, AND FOUNDING
    This nonprofit club is known as the Bavarian Mountain West Motorcycle Club of Idaho, Incorporated. Founded in Boise, Idaho 1974 and incorporated June 2003.
    ARTICLE ll PURPOSE
    The purpose of the Club is to promote interest in ownership of BMW motorcycles; to promote safety and riding skills for persons who enjoy and appreciate BMW motorcycles; to exchange technical information among members and/or to acquire it from appropriate outside sources; and to promote and present a better image of motorcyclists to the general public. Club Motto: "We stress riding companionship, technical assistance and great fun".
    ARTICLE III MEMBERSHIP
    Membership in this Club shall:
    Section 3.1 Be open to BMW motorcycle owners, and those interested in BMW motorcycle ownership, who support the purpose stated above and meet the standards of conduct prescribed in Article IX.
    I'll add that the membership application for the local club has a required fill-in item for year and model of BMW. The national org app does not have that.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 10-23-2017 at 03:10 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Sorry you have grouped me as an obnoxious poster because I have over 20,000 posts. Average 10 posts a day for nine years will do that. I see you have been here since August 2017.

I will beg to differ on one point. I have at least 5 Spyder miles for each post that has come up. I am not into post counts--just Spyder talk.

I know the other three posters in your mentioned category--and don't find any obnoxious ones there.

If you think me obnoxious--why don't you just put me on IGNORE?
    Boy. Testy Testy aren't we? Maybe we doth protest a bit too much?
    I thought my comment was clear that the ones I was talking about were BOTH obnoxious and 20K post totals. Sorry if that wasn't clear. But hey, if you insist, I have no problem "ignoring" you!
    And I picked that 20K comment out of thin air thinking there were posters who had 10K but not realizing there were some here with 20K.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by classicvw View Post
    Every forum has a few obnoxious posters that seem to have little time to ride, as their post count is up to 20,000.
    A few obnoxious loudmouths can cause us to feel that's the norm for that group.
    I'm not following how your comment applies to what I said. I don't see the connection.

I started . . . .

. . . . As for BMW riders, yes there are a lot of them who have a mightier than thou attitude. The group on BMW Sport-Touring web page was pretty snobby as is the bunch in the MOA. Otherwise all that I have known personally, have been great guys who will bend over backwards to help a fellow biker no matter what brand they are riding.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Most other riders wave back to me. There's no pattern of type of bike whose rider doesn't. Except for crotch rockets of course - they're in a world of their own.
    Crotch Riders use a small hand wave that's harder to see-----they are leaning forward with pressure on both wrist as apposed to cruiser riders who are sitting up straight. I get waves from most riders---maybe it's my S&W 460 Magnum strapped across my lower windshield--Not. :-)
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Wink I use my cell phone for 20 min each month

Quote Originally Posted by classicvw View Post
    Boy. Testy Testy aren't we? Maybe we doth protest a bit too much?I thought my comment was clear that the ones I was talking about were BOTH obnoxious and 20K post totals. Sorry if that wasn't clear. But hey, if you insist, I have no problem "ignoring" you! And I picked that 20K comment out of thin air thinking there were posters who had 10K but not realizing there were some here with 20K.
    I don't have a dog in this fight.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

I'm not following how your comment applies to what I said. I don't see the connection.
    Read harder.