Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

You know we are all are a bunch of whine asses!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Having never ridden a three wheel, I am taking a riding course this weekend. 30+ years of two wheel riding but none in a year since accident on Gold Wing F6B. BUT, after reading what owners do not like ( I do appreciate you guys sharing ), I am somewhat less excited about owning a BRP/Spyder. Still will hopefully enjoy 2-day course if nothing more than 'entertainment'.
    The GW was an exceptional machine with diy maintenance such as oil changes, etc. made easy. Dealer needed visits were usually a one-day event.
    Again, enjoy the forum.

Spyder Garage

Seagravesg,

Unless you can no longer ride your GW, or any other 2 wheeler, really think hard about getting a Spyder. I had hip replacement surgery in June. I let myself get convinced that I should get rid of my 1200 RT. My feelings: the Spyder is great if you have never ridden a motorcycle, or primarily ride hiways. Living in the foothills of the Sierra's, most of our riding is in the mountains. I have added the Bajaron anti-sway bars andtinkerd with the air pressure. Hard times evlen keeping up with the Ultrasl in our group. If you ride 2 up its even worse. Take some serious test ride time on the Spyder your considering. If you can rent one for a week, or elven on a trip you have taken in the past, it would be worth the money.
    -2018 RT Ltd. , cchampagne

Spyder Garage

I have an older '10 RS, built before BRP refined things more and more. Still... it is a fun ride after years on Harley and Honda 2 wheelers. Took a 3k tour this early summer and the Spyder ran great and the owner smiled a lot in the wind. Every machine can be improved as the years of engineering roll forward. Be excited about the course and having handlebars in your hands again. I've ridden harley 3 wheelers and, in my opinion, the Spyder is the superior 3 wheel product currently available. My only beefs are haphazard dealership support, expensive parts and even more expensive service. I've learned to do much on my own to avoid #3 on that list as much as possible. Good luck to you, Seagravesg!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    MORE POWER If I can handle the much higher power of my last 3 motorcycles I could handle it on the .
    Well I fixed that . Stage 1 ECM flash So to answer the origional question. There is NOTHING I dis-like about my spyder.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Good comments! In large part my inclination to strongly consider 3-wheels is: late 60's, no holding a bike up (although I am fit for the age), reverse which is needed on big bikes. But, there are smaller 2-wheelers that come in under 800-900 lbs. worth also considering.
    I know this thread invited criticisms to off set accolades listed previously and I really enjoyed what others have experienced.
    billz--I do not ride 2 up anymore. Ins. Co. totaled F6B (sounds worse than it was). Will you look to go back to 2 wheels?
    WisconsinDavid--sounds like you have enjoyed the 2 wheel to 3 wheel transition with no looking back. thanks for sharing.

Spyder Garage

I went to 3 wheels because of the wife - she has some knee/back issues, and got to where she didn't like getting on the two-wheelers as she was afraid of it falling over. I did a test ride on a 2010 RT, and honestly if I'd let that be my deciding factor, I wouldn't own one today. But after posting my reactions and reading what others had to say, I picked up a used 2014. It took some miles for the transition, but now it's all pretty natural, and I enjoy riding it.

I looked at 'Wing trikes, but the local Honda shop doesn't like working on them in general, and won't touch anything over 10 years old. Besides, I've never been fond of them and can't see myself riding it daily for amusement. I looked at SlingShots, but she didn't think she'd be able to climb in/out easily, and for the most part, it's too car like.

Mostly in this thread we're just whining about small annoying things. I'm not giving up the Spyder any time soon.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

70000 Spyder Miles and nothing but smiles so far!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Yes there are a few issues but Im willing to deal with them. FYI bike is 17 Rtl.
    1.No one mentioned the parking brake.I had a really cool chrome foot that I use to put under my GW kickstand,this thing doesn't even have a kickstand or a need for it.
    2.Semi automatic shifting,really,I used to love shifting and working the clutch especially in heavy traffic.
    3.The gas mileage pisses me off.My body is ready for a break around 150 miles and this thing begs me to stay on for close to 200 miles.
    4.The little lady is unhappy with the extra storage space,she used to pack smart and now she just throws everything in there.When we get to a hotel were dragging in so much stuff it takes several trips.
    5.Electric windshield,this thing is driving me nuts.I cant stop fiddling with it,up down up down up down,gotta be perfect at every speed or weather condition.
    6.The Nanny,I dont need no stinkin Nanny watching over every little move I make.It takes away from the excitement,the feeling of danger,knowing that your chances of making it to your destination in one piece are very good.
    7.These Spyders in general draw crowds.You cant go anywhere without someone coming up and asking questions.It gets to be irritating.
    8.I like to customize my bikes,make it my own but theres so few accessories out there for Spyders,at least maybe a seat or a creepy Spyder sticker!
    9.Rant over
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Seagravesg.

I probably will end up going back. After dropping $30K it is irritating that so much is needed to make it "curve worthy. Plus, I was spoiled by the 45 to50 mpg I got on my Beemer. I do a cross country ride every Spring and it's nice not having to worry about the next gas stop. The storage space is nice, reverse is also very nice. I have an RT, and the smaller models might handle better. Good Luck, keep the rubber side down.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billz View Post
    ...it is irritating that so much is needed to make it "curve worthy.
    Can you expand on what you mean by "curve worthy"? Are you perhaps one of of us who likes to ride curves harder than does the 70% (or whatever the % is) of ryders the Spyder is designed and manufactured for? I'm sure you recognize that the Spyder is physically a different machine from a two-wheeler therefore it will handle curves in a physically different manner than two-wheelers. And it is a tremendous difference. Curve handling is one of the strongest characteristics of a Spyder as expressed by a majority of SL members, hence I'm puzzled by your comment.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

IdahoMtnSpyder,

I guess I am one of those who likes to take the twisties fast. I don't mean "crazy", just comfortable. I learned to ride in the Sierra's, haven't been up to your neck of the woods yet, but I am looking forward to it. Used to live north of Seattle and went to Spokane and Cour'd laine. I would need to ride some of those roads that would have the Spyder rated so high in the curves... They might not be what we consider curves. Yes the Spyder is a great bike for what it is and I enjoy the ride except in the twisties.

Spyder Garage

Billz,

Do these two posts of mine offer any more insight as to why you don't like the way the Spyder handles curves?

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1477256

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1306744

For a comment about the speed a reverse trike can take a curve vs a two-wheeler read the 3rd paragraph here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1306744

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Seagravesg.

I probably will end up going back. After dropping $30K it is irritating that so much is needed to make it "curve worthy. Plus, I was spoiled by the 45 to50 mpg I got on my Beemer. I do a cross country ride every Spring and it's nice not having to worry about the next gas stop. The storage space is nice, reverse is also very nice. I have an RT, and the smaller models might handle better. Good Luck, keep the rubber side down.
    The biggest upgrade for your Spyder to make it curve ready, is for you to learn to ryde! You can add to that if you want to, but the Spyder can handle things right out of the crate. The more you ryde, the better it turns!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

IdahoMtnSpyder,

I guess I am one of those who likes to take the twisties fast. I don't mean "crazy", just comfortable. I learned to ride in the Sierra's, haven't been up to your neck of the woods yet, but I am looking forward to it. Used to live north of Seattle and went to Spokane and Cour'd laine. I would need to ride some of those roads that would have the Spyder rated so high in the curves... They might not be what we consider curves. Yes the Spyder is a great bike for what it is and I enjoy the ride except in the twisties.

Well, I ryde the Sierras almost every weekend! I can haul a*# down highway 49 between Coulterville and Mariposa ( aka” The Little Dragon” ) and keep up with sport bikes. We just did a ryde that took us Over Sonora Pass, Monitor Pass, and Ebbetts Pass and we took it HARD! Are those considered “curves”, where you come from? The Spyder is a very capable machine when the one with the handle bars learns how to RYDE it! Oh and this last summer we rode from Coeur d’Alene to Walla Walla through those same twisties you mentioned. The only modification I have is a $200.00 sway bar. And I rode from Nor Cal to Valcourt Quebec Canada before we put that on. So learn to ryde, just like you learned how to ride your Beamer, and you will start to be amazed. I would suggest that you take the 3 wheel class offered by BRP!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input. Didn't mean to cause any issues. I will keep practicing and putting in the miles.

Spyder Garage

Number one for me would be a brake lever for my right hand. Lots of mile done riding two wheelers.
    Number two would be a much more comfortable stock seat so an aftermarket one is not needed.
    Three would be a hitch mounted to the frame instead of the swingarm to reduce shock to trailer.
    Overall, quite nice, especially for two up pulling a small camper.

Spyder Garage

The damn directional lights switch is driving me nuts! It's almost impossible to cancel without inadvertently moving the switch to indicate an opposite side blinker. Many times I have to take my eyes off the road and check to make sure the blinkers are cancelled. Very annoying!
    2018 Spyder F3 Limited
    Pearl white/dark
    2018 F3 Limited , White pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hrdware101 View Post
    The damn directional lights switch is driving me nuts! It's almost impossible to cancel without inadvertently moving the switch to indicate an opposite side blinker. Many times I have to take my eyes off the road and check to make sure the blinkers are cancelled. Very annoying!
    Or just wait out 30 seconds and some PO'd drivers, and they'll cancel automatically!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Or just wait out 30 seconds and some PO'd drivers, and they'll cancel automatically!
    the only problem with that is someone waiting at an intersection might think you are turning (right) and pull out in front of you--not a good thing, eh?

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I can do without the analog speedometer and tachometer on my F3. I only pay attention to the digital gauge. Also I would prefer the air valve to be on the right side of the rear tire.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hrdware101 View Post
    Try not 'moving' the switch back to centre when you want to cancel either direction indicator; instead, just press it IN - ie, forwards & into the switch cluster! It doesn't hafta be a hard press, just hasta be a 'straight in' press. Worked for me.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    the only problem with that is someone waiting at an intersection might think you are turning (right) and pull out in front of you--not a good thing, eh?
    Valid point.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Hmmm....

1. What I don't like is the fact that the moment that I park her, I'm itching for another ride and can't wait till the next day to do it all over again.

2. All the money that I've spent on mods/upgrades to this fine piece of a machine that I said that I wouldn't. I'm frugal, but I love every bit of it! Lol

3. My 2 kiddos and wife wants to ride every time I do, so I wish that I could buy 2 side karts, throw wife on the back and we all hit the road at the same time!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrain047 View Post
    Hmmm....

1. What I don't like is the fact that the moment that I park her, I'm itching for another ride and can't wait till the next day to do it all over again.

2. All the money that I've spent on mods/upgrades to this fine piece of a machine that I said that I wouldn't. I'm frugal, but I love every bit of it! Lol

3. My 2 kiddos and wife wants to ride every time I do, so I wish that I could buy 2 side karts, throw wife on the back and we all hit the road at the same time!
    I guess one of your new farkels could be a second Spyder for the wife ,then you could each take a kid and all go. To paraphrase "the family that rides together stays together"

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze