Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh here's another one. Why can't BRP use thread inserts or welded nuts on their machines? I was working on the remote battery terminals and both are bolt/nyloc combos. It's so tight in there that you run the risk of dropping the bolt or nut and it's a PITA to reach the back side of some of those frame members.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Oh here's another one. Why can't BRP use thread inserts or welded nuts on their machines? I was working on the remote battery terminals and both are bolt/nyloc combos. It's so tight in there that you run the risk of dropping the bolt or nut and it's a PITA to reach the back side of some of those frame members.
    Good idea. Captive nuts would help.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    Wait until the first rider claims in court he slammed into that stopped truck because his foot got hung up on the brake pedal when the rest of the motorcycle industry mounts their pedals so that they can be applied instantly.
    And that's just as likely to happen &/or succeed as well as the case brought by the first driver who claims in court he slammed into that stopped truck because his foot got hung up on the brake pedal when the rest of the transport industry mounts their pedals so that they can be applied instantly....

The Spyder's brake pedal has been put where it is & as it is because the majority of the driving world accepts that they work admirably there & in that size/configuration - so if you can't drive a car with a brake pedal or work with the Spyder's brake pedal, then I reckon they (BRP) will always consider that to be your problem, not theirs....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-05-2017 at 07:34 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default ?????? really.......

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Budden View Post
    Here is my wish list and I am sure as time goes on my list with grow

1 The seat could be more comfortable on a $35000 machine
    2 The SE6 should have a neutral option when coasting down hills
    3 Original replacement parts and accessories are grossly overpriced
    4 BRP should offer bottles of touch up paint to match your Spyder
    5 A handbrake option should be available
    6 The delayed startup on my 2014 should have an option to change it to instant start
    7 The nanny should have an on/off option
    8 A belt tensioner should be a installed from the factory considering the belt length
    9 USB outlets should be upfront on the dash
    10 The front suspension should also have air adjustable height for driving on gravel roads
    11 Lots of chrome accessories avaiable but when you have an RTS the black powder coated accessories are limited

Richard Budden
    Newfoundland, Canada

....... .... wow....!!!!!

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Richardv View Post

....... .... wow....!!!!!
    Why?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

My most annoying thing is the marshmallow rear tire. Who's dumb idea was it to put the valve stem where it is so hard to get too.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ES44AC View Post
    Who's dumb idea was it to put the valve stem where it is so hard to get too.
    Joseph-Armand Bombardier's mother????

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Need adjustable front shocks like I had on my 2012 RTL ....too much movement on this 2017

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TXrider View Post
    1) PLEASE install a FUEL DOOR, in the side panel of the seat - it is a royal pain to lift the seat with something or someone on the back seat!!!!!!

2) Move the valve stem for the rear tire to the opposite side.

3) No delay in starting.

That's it short-n-sweet.
    I agree, the RT seat should have a Fuel Door or they should relocate the fuel cap where you do not have to lift the seat.

Michael
    W5MWI

USN Vet - RM1
    Member: VFW & American Legion

2020 Spyder RT-L - Jupiter Metallic Blue Chrome

Spyder Garage

1. Pieces of Tupperware ends breaking off.

2. Brakes squeak, always have to clean rotors.

3. Needs shaft drive.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP.......

If the spyder had been a Honda or Yamaha product we probably wouldn't have as many of these discussions and complaints. All the rice burners I've owned over the years have been rock solid, dependable, fairly bullet proof and much easier (less expensive) to work on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    And that's just as likely to happen &/or succeed as well as the case brought by the first driver who claims in court he slammed into that stopped truck because his foot got hung up on the brake pedal when the rest of the transport industry mounts their pedals so that they can be applied instantly....

The Spyder's brake pedal has been put where it is & as it is because the majority of the driving world accepts that they work admirably there & in that size/configuration - so if you can't drive a car with a brake pedal or work with the Spyder's brake pedal, then I reckon they (BRP) will always consider that to be your problem, not theirs....

I'm thinking you don't ride an F3 or your comment would not have been a generalization.
    And these aren't cars.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

That's true ofdave, they aren't cars, but that's irrelevant.... for the majority of drivers/riders out there, the thinking effort required to use your foot to apply the brakes is pretty much the same as that required to use your hand to apply the brakes; and there's a vast amount of precedence that's been set in courts around the world re the rider/driver error of not riding/driving far enough back to allow themselves sufficient time to apply the brakes early enough to stop & avoid running up someone's clacker...

Which is why I believe that my statement is still valid & perfectly applicable in response to RinconRyders post & the likelihood of either situation bringing about any successful court cases - "...if you can't drive a car with a brake pedal or work with the Spyder's brake pedal, then I reckon they (BRP) will always consider that to be your problem, not theirs...."
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-06-2017 at 03:25 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

That's true ofdave, they aren't cars, but that's irrelevant.... for the majority of drivers/riders out there, the thinking effort required to use your foot to apply the brakes is pretty much the same as that required to use your hand to apply the brakes; and there's a vast amount of precedence that's been set in courts around the world re the rider/driver error of not riding/driving far enough back to allow themselves sufficient time to apply the brakes early enough to stop & avoid running up someone's clacker...

Which is why I believe that my statement is still valid & perfectly applicable in response to RinconRyders post & the likelihood of either situation bringing about any successful court cases - "...if you can't drive a car with a brake pedal or work with the Spyder's brake pedal, then I reckon they (BRP) will always consider that to be your problem, not theirs...."
    Peter, agreed on the relevancy of comparison to cars, I included it because of your mention of it earlier.
    Using a hand brake is nowhere near the same as using a foot brake. It is common to "cover" the front brake when riding. Your hand is not removed from the bar to do this. This is not as easily done with a foot brake and near impossible on the F3 unless you hold your foot in the air off the peg and above the brake pedal.
    Using rear brakes on most bikes (and most of us come from bikes) does not require lifting your foot off the peg to do so. It involves rocking your foot up a bit (heel still on the peg or floorboard), slightly rotating your foot, and the pressing down on the pedal. Just like you do on your RT.
    I think if you spent some time on an F3, you'd better understand what Rincon , and I, refer to.
    I really don't give a rat's patoot about a successful court case. I am concerned with operating the brake as quickly and safely as possible when a quick stop is required. There is room for improvement on the F3.

Spyder Garage

Does about 5,000 miles all up on a variety of F3's count towards being slightly familiar ofdave?? About 1/3 of those miles on tracks at high speed with numerous tight curves requiring a lot of braking on the limit.... where most skilled riders or drivers cover the brake regardless of the machine they are operating.

But the comment re the court cases was simply because THAT was the crux of RinconRyders post - he said/implied something like "wait unti the first rider claims in court...." and THAT is what I suggested is going to be as successful as any driver making the same claim re their foot brake, simply because the motor industry & the laws & the courts in general & collectively consider that easily operated foot brakes which the vast majority of drivers & ryders are well acquainted with will be more than adequate for any basically competent driver/ryder... & btw, there is significant precedence that supports that point of view too.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-06-2017 at 06:29 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Does about 5,000 miles all up on a variety of F3's count ofdave?? About 1/3 of them on a track at high speed with numerous tight curves requiring a lot of braking on the limit.... where most skilled riders or drivers cover the brake regardless of the machind they are operating.

But the comment re the court cases was simply because THAT was the crux of RincoRyders post - he said/implied something like "wait unti the first rider claims in court...." and THAT is what I suggested isn't ever going to happen, simply because the motor industry and the courts in general & collectively consider that easily operated foot brakes which the vast majority of drivers & ryders are well acquainted with will be more than adequate for any basically competent driver/ryder... & btw, there is significant precedence that supports that point of view too.
    so given your considerable experience on an F3, can you share how you covered the brake?
    It seems many of us are not as "basically competent" as you.

Spyder Garage

Just like many others, I found the position of the brake pedal itself to be a right pain, but it's what's there & it's what any basically competent rider has no choice but to use unless they want to make or pay for the fitting of an alternative. And funnily enough, MOST ryders seem competent & content enough to continue using the brake pedal pretty much as is where is - and they wouldn't be so incompetent as to continuing to ryde like that if they didn't think they were competent & safe to do so, would they??

But like I said/implied & that you seem to take great umbrage to, I really doubt that there is any court anywhere that'd ever even consider the positioning of the brake pedal warrants hearing any case based upon the brake pedal positioning being the cause of an accident.... but of course, we do have a saying about silly court cases here in Aus - it goes pretty much like this: "only in the United States of America...."

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-06-2017 at 06:30 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Just like many others, I found the position of the brake pedal itself to be a right pain, but it's what's there & it's what any basically competent rider has no choice but to use unless they want to make or pay for the fitting of an alternative. And funnily enough, MOST ryders seem competent & content enough to continue using the brake pedal pretty much as is where is - and they wouldn't be so incompetent as to continuing to ryde like that if they didn't think they were competent & safe to do so, would they??

But like I said/implied & that you seem to take great umbrage to, I really doubt that there is any court anywhere that'd ever even consider the positioning of the brake pedal warrants hearing any case based upon the brake pedal positioning being the cause of an accident.... but of course, we do have a saying about silly court cases here in Aus - it goes pretty much like this: "only in the United States of America...."

Good to know you found the position to be "a right pain". Still waiting to hear how you "covered" the pedal "on tracks at high speed with numerous tight curves requiring a lot of braking on the limit...."
    There are posts here on how some less "basically competent" riders have made a correction to the position.
    Some of us less "basically competent" use the pedal provided but feel free to mention it as being less than ideal. Following your line of thought we who are "so incompetent" should just park it, rather than mentioning it as something we do not like about the Spyder which is what this thread was started as a discussion about.

I reread my posts but could not find anything that indicated I "take great umbrage to" anything you said about any court case. Maybe I missed it. Please tell me where I mentioned a court case other than when I said "I really don't give a rat's patoot about a successful court case. I am concerned with operating the brake as quickly and safely as possible when a quick stop is required. There is room for improvement on the F3." Maybe I was not clear enough. Or you may be confusing my post with another.

I see nothing constructive coming from continuing this conversation.
    The thread has been taken far enough off topic with nothing learned so I am through here.
    Reply as you see fit, I know you like the last word.

Spyder Garage

Default I wish it leaned and counter steered

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSkeets View Post
    There are lots of threads on why you LIKE the Spyder, but how 'bout some of the things you don't like or wish they would change, within reason, whether it's doable or not.
    For me, in no particular order,
    1. At, or above highway speeds, the steering is really touchy and it takes alot of concentration. I'd much rather drive on slower, twisty and turny roads.
    2. I wish there was a way to somehow put the SE into neutral without having to come to a full stop.
    3. Mine has the black satin matte finish. It's a pain to keep clean and spot free
    4. I don't think the radio is as good as some people think.
    5. The belt vibrations were annoying, but I have since put the belt tensioner on and it is a great improvement.
    6. I'm starting to sound like a broken record talking to everyone who comes up and wants to talk about my Spyder. ( Ok...that one really isn't so bad. I enjoy people wanting to talk about it)
    I wish it leaned and counter steered.

Spyder Garage

Default Haven't owned it very long, but initial impressions for a 2010 RT-S

Took my first longer ride this weekend and while I like the bike and the ride, there are a few things I've noticed that could have been done better. Probably all noted by others as well.

• Bike is noisy. My ears were ringing after about 2 hours in the saddle. Will have to wear some earplugs for long rides from now on. Did not have that issue with the Honda Silverwing.
    • Downshifting the transmission isn't the smoothest either by letting the bike do it or trying to do it myself. Starting to develop a feel for how to get less of a CLUNK every time it happens.
    • This thing seriously sucks gas. Ran about 80 miles, used a bit shy of 4 gallons. Ouch. My Mercedes gets better mileage and it's a 6.
    • Crummy rear tire needs replacement already.
    • No power outlet up front where you would want to plug something in. Will have to add something in the next week or so when I mount my little Nuvi.
    • Valve stem on the rear wheel, nuff said.
    • Turn signal lights are difficult to see in daytime, will have to add some led's to the mirrors.
    • The glove box was pathetic, then I figured out how to pull out the padded liner, now my phone will fit, though I don't know whether it would cook in there with the engine heat.
    • I replaced some of the screws on the handlebar controls with stainless. For an expensive bike, stainless should be standard, not coated steel. And this bike was supposedly kept inside all its life.

Overall I am happy with the bike. Brake doesn't bother me, though I wish it did have a hand control as well. I thought the bike was well controlled and tracked straight on the road.

Bob
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Why?
    First, it is illegal to drive in neutral, second if you need to manouver out of a situation, you'r stuck with no power to react fast....

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Why not adjustable?

Why can't BRP follow the lead of many motorcycle manufacturers and make the pedal position adjustable? It took them until the F3 to make adjustable position foot controls. If you ever spent time looking at 2 wheelers, their shifters often have splined shafts and adjustable rod ends, and their brakes often have splined shafts. Hand controls have long had reach adjustability so a precedence has been set. Simple fixes to let riders fine tune to their liking. Seems that BRP puts out a product THEY think the public wants, and customer feedback be damned.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Richardv View Post
    First, it is illegal to drive in neutral, second if you need to manouver out of a situation, you'r stuck with no power to react fast....
    Yes, what is the point of being in Neutral? Fuel economy? I think not!
    I think also the compression sequence of motor is charging your battery if you are coasting in gear as well isn't it?
    2017 F3T Limited; Can-Am Driver Backrest, Can-Am Tall Boy Windshield, Can-Am Passenger Armrests, Garmin Drivesmart 61 LMT, brake rod extension, Super loud 131 DB air horn
    2012 RTS Limited; Custom Corbin seat Bomber Jacket Brown w/Dual Butt Heater, Gas Door, Driver Backrest, Web Boards, Bad Boy Air Horn, Baja Ron Sway Bar, Spyder Brake Pad, Right Vent Heat Block, Cargo nets, Drink holders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSkeets View Post
    There are lots of threads on why you LIKE the Spyder, but how 'bout some of the things you don't like or wish they would change, within reason, whether it's doable or not.
    For me, coming from a 2012 RTL to a 2017 F3L,
    1. Stereo rear speaker balance control seems to be missing.
    2. Glove box doesn't lock now.
    3. Frunk is the size of a teaspoon (OK exaggeration but barely fits 1 helmet upside down)
    4. Brake pedal height position (this could have been corrected in the rod length - instead of having to modify a factory part)
    5. Passenger height position TOO HIGH (making her feel tossed around) and on hard slippery seat when cornering. It is tough for her to stay on with high spot in middle rather than cupped. I'm adding armrests to keep her in the seat, but then you lose the heated handgrips to install the armrests (why?)
    2017 F3T Limited; Can-Am Driver Backrest, Can-Am Tall Boy Windshield, Can-Am Passenger Armrests, Garmin Drivesmart 61 LMT, brake rod extension, Super loud 131 DB air horn
    2012 RTS Limited; Custom Corbin seat Bomber Jacket Brown w/Dual Butt Heater, Gas Door, Driver Backrest, Web Boards, Bad Boy Air Horn, Baja Ron Sway Bar, Spyder Brake Pad, Right Vent Heat Block, Cargo nets, Drink holders

Spyder Garage

I've said this before. Make the power steering effortless in a parked or stand still paved lot. If you can't turn the wheels without a lot of effort when standing still in a parking lot... I have read that newer spyders have easier steering. Why can't they authorize a reprogram of steering on the earlier models. I have a 2014 RTS.

Stan
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6