Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I am thinking that the older age demographic has to do with the cost of the . When they came out in 08--entry level was about $15,999. In those days you could buy a pretty nice motorcycle or even a car. Lot's of money for a toy.
    Well that thinking might be true if all you could buy was new Spyders but one could get into the Spyder world for 10 grand or less if they buy used, and even so I still see an older demographic riding them.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
    That sums it up for me! I had thought about getting a trike kit for my Victory, but that would have been close to what I paid for my Spyder.
    In my case triking my Goldwing would have cost almost as much as the 2013 RT with only 615 miles that I bought. Selling the 'wing paid the lions share of the Spyder cost! I had already decided to move to three wheels. The fact the Spyder is built ground up as a three wheeler and the cost of it made it a no-brainer to buy it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by classicvw View Post
    Well that thinking might be true if all you could buy was new Spyders but one could get into the Spyder world for 10 grand or less if they buy used, and even so I still see an older demographic riding them.
    I think it's the bike itself and the mystique, or lack of, that causes younger riders to not go for them, the touring class of bikes that is. The desire for show, raw power, and speed, to a great degree is inversely proportional to age. In this case the stereotype is somewhat valid, IMO.

Let's invert the question. Why do you see more younger males on cruisers than you see older males and women of all ages? That demographic is what Honda was reaching into when they introduced the F6B.

Also, sometimes older means wiser! Why spend more money than necessary to only have the same benefit?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by classicvw View Post
    Yes, the used market is another option. I have no experience there. But, you do have a valid point.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Polaris wasn't selling the Victory's and Indians to a younger demographic, thus the introduction of the Octane. The Octane did appeal to younger riders. The dealer where I bought my Vic posts pictures of people who buy on there FB page. You see very few 20 somethings. Of course as akspyderman mentioned, Vics and especially Indians are priced out of the budget of most 20 somethings. My son bought his new Vic Gunner when he was 23. Don't see that much around here. Most of the younger riders are buying used bikes from the dealer.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Spyder is primarily my wife's bike. I'm 45 and she just turned 47. She has been riding as passenger with me for years. She has experience on dirt bikes and ATVs, but no street bike experience. She had been talking about getting her own bike for the last 2-3 years, but just never found a bike that really peaked her interest until we rode with Blacklightning back in June of this year. When she saw his F3T, she knew it was what she wanted. We did a demo days, bought it 2 weeks later and the rest is history. I have two bikes, but still enjoy riding the Spyder too. I'm signed up for the 3 wheel MSF course next weekend so I can be legal riding it. Honestly I think that is one of the stupidest laws VA has. I understand requiring it if someone doesn't have a motorcycle license already, but if you can ride a motorcycle legally, you should be able to ride a Spyder legally too! VA won't even let you take the written and driving test all at once either. You can take the MSF course and get it in 2 days, or if you want to test out at DMV, you pass the written test and get a learners permit. Then wait at least 30 days before they allow you to take the driving test.

Sorry, rant over!
    I don't understand. If you have a class M license in Virginia, you are licensed for both 2 and 3 wheeled vehicles. So, if you've got a Virginia Class M, you can legally ride the Spyder without any other training or licensing. (https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#motorcycle.asp)
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by foxtail1 View Post
    I don't understand. If you have a class M license in Virginia, you are licensed for both 2 and 3 wheeled vehicles. So, if you've got a Virginia Class M, you can legally ride the Spyder without any other training or licensing. (https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#motorcycle.asp)
    That is correct. If you have an "M" endorsement you are grandfathered in to be able to ride either one. They don't issue an "M" endorsement for motorcycles anymore tho. They issue an "M2" (2 wheel motorcycle only) or an "M3" (3 wheel motorcycle only) endorsement. If you do both classes you get an "M" endorsement. When I moved to VA and transferred my drivers license over to VA I didn't notice, but they left off my "M" endorsement. I didn't have a bike at the time and didn't notice they didn't transfer it. I went to a demo days when I was looking for a new bike. Gave them my license at registration. That is when I first realized the mistake that was made at DMV. Long story short. I had to take the MSF course again and got an M2 endorsement.
    2016 F3T SM6 - Wife's Bike - Blank Canvas
    2017 Kawasaki Concours 14
    2016 Victory Magnum - Mods in progress
    2013 Suzuki M109R - Has a few mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    That is correct. If you have an "M" endorsement you are grandfathered in to be able to ride either one. They don't issue an "M" endorsement for motorcycles anymore tho. They issue an "M2" (2 wheel motorcycle only) or an "M3" (3 wheel motorcycle only) endorsement. If you do both classes you get an "M" endorsement. When I moved to VA and transferred my drivers license over to VA I didn't notice, but they left off my "M" endorsement. I didn't have a bike at the time and didn't notice they didn't transfer it. I went to a demo days when I was looking for a new bike. Gave them my license at registration. That is when I first realized the mistake that was made at DMV. Long story short. I had to take the MSF course again and got an M2 endorsement.

Ah, thanks for explaining. I've had my M for many years, and didn't realize that Virginia had changed the rules. For what it's worth, I agree with you— if you can ride 2, you shouldn't need anything more to ride 3.
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Spyder Garage

Just turned 45yo and no health issues other than an old back injury that makes me choose what i can and can't sit on. my spyder purchase was actually my Dad's fault. My dad wanted to ride again after a long break from 2 wheels. I helped him look for his bike and got the bug to do ride again during that. I didn't want to finance so i had a $10k budget including any future mods. I needed something comfortable due to a back injury but FUN. On the list was a Ducati Hypermotard, HyperStrada, Multistrada, Honda VFR 400, 500, 750 or 800, Yamaha FJR1200, MT10, FZ-09, Suzuki SV650 and a few others. I went to test ride a VFR 750 and loved it but the particular bike didn't sit right with me due to the mileage and a few other owner answers of "I am not sure". It was on the top of the list but still had to test ride the others. I always knew existed but were way out of my Budget so never even thought of "Looking". While looking through the Cycle trader for more VFR's my popped up and i said no way that price is real. Looked at some more on CT and a few were within $$ range but to high mileage for me. I decided to grab my cash and go take a look at mine and test ride it. You never know. After 5mi i almost didn't go back. Sooooo Fun and comfortable. As they say it was sold before i got back to the sellers house. I made mine even more comfortable and will continue to do so and just wish i could ride it more. Never a thought has crossed my mind of "I should have just got a 2 wheeler".

Would love a new F3S or T but out of budget and even though i could probably finance it i just don't get to ride enough to justify it.
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach

Spyder Garage

Default 73 & still lying about my age

Lucky for me I have no more garage room for my turbo Hayabusa---I still think about getting a 400# 1000 cc. I love having a reverse gear. My solo skydiving days are just a memory.Pole stuck in head.jpg
    If anyone has a pipe wrench could you help me unscrew the lamp post?
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

61 here no health issues and a female to boot. Always rode on the back of my husband Harley and never had any desire to drive a 2 wheel bike myself. Sat on a Spyder at the dealers in 2013 and thought i can do this.... Ordered a 2014 RT-S and have been enjoying it ever since. Miss being able to take pictures and watch the scenery go by. But, enjoy having my own bike and also the safety and comfort of the Spyder.
    2014 RT-S
    YELLOW
    BajaRon Anti Sway bar
    Adjustable handle bars
    SpyderPops Skid plate

Spyder Garage

Got distracted by Virginia licensing, and didn't say that I'm 62, with no health issues. I rode a Harley till I fell in love with my Spyder. I ride my F3-S by choice, not by default.
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Spyder Garage

Default Love 2 Ride

49 and had a Harley and wife hated it. Got a Spyder and wife loves it. NUFF SAID...

Spyder Garage

Default been riding since 1955

After 7 heart attacks 15 stents bad knees agent orange has done a number heading for 72 but still love to ride feel like a kid when i'm on the bike, keeps me young mentally anyway

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Just turned 50 and loving my Spyder.

DavidC

Gonna live to be 100 or die trying
    I like the way you think. I turned 51 in August and said "well, i'm a little over half way there, 49 to go".
    I have been riding since age 40 (bought it for a birthday gift to myself). In these 11 years, I have owned 11- 2-wheelers and 3 spyders. Bought my first spyder in Sept. of 2014 after a little accident, and the wife wanted me to stop riding. I have purchased and sold another 2 wheeler since then, and am currently looking to pick up another 2 wheeler. Nothing stopping me from riding 2 wheels, but I must admit, the confidence factor of having 3 wheels is great.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm 45 and have had my RS for about 5 years. I wanted to buy one earlier but wasn't sure the reliability was there so I waited a while. Before the Spyder I owned a Harley for 10 yrs. I have no health issues. I just prefer the Spyder over a 2 wheel bike.

Some reasons why:
    • I have been a snowmobile rider since I was 13 yrs old. Love riding sleds. The Spyder is just like riding a sled. I feel 100% comfortable on the Spyder for this reason. Snow in my area is a hit or miss affair now. Used to be we received lots of snow....now we have winters where we get very little or almost none. This makes riding a sled difficult.
    • I never felt 100% comfortable (mentally) on 2 wheels which limited my ability to enjoy the ride and my surroundings. I have a more relaxed feel on the Spyder.
    • Physically anything more than 75-100 miles on my Harley and my backside was hurting. The cruiser riding position is just very uncomfortable for me. I have been riding a friends BMW from time to time this year. The seating position is more sport orientated and I find it physically comfortable but still mentally, 2 wheels makes me nervous.

I'm not going to pretend to know why more younger people aren't interested in Spyders. I'm sure its a variety of factors and different for different people. I do know this however. In the Spyder world I'm considered a "young" rider. Until BRP provides a model that has a "sport" riding position again I'm done purchasing. I'll ride my RS until it's just to costly to repair and then stop if they don't offer a sport model. I'm NEVER going to buy an RT....I'd just stop riding. I would have purchased an ST....its riding position and styling was good for me. I'm NEVER going to buy an F3...riding position and styling just aren't for me. I think for a number of people they don't buy a Spyder not because of what BRP is offering but because of what BRP is not offering.

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default sharp

I'm 46 now, bought the Spyder at 42. I don't have any riding issues i just like the way the Spyder RT look. I rode two wheelers before from crusier to crotch rockets and wifey hated them. I never been to fund of the 3 wheel bikes before, but when i saw the Spyder RT for the first time i had to have one. I sold my 2 wheel Honda and went to the Spyder and been loving it ever since. I like the confidence of the 3 wheels better and wifey does to. It also get a lot of stares because i'm the only one in my city that has one..
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Spyder Garage

49 now, and just purchased a new F3 (base) for $17k out the door. No health issues that would prevent me from riding two wheels, had a two wheeler in high school. Wife is a neurological nurse, so for a long time convertibles were the only open air vehicle I was "allowed" to own. Went through a bunch of 'em. Volkswagen Cabrio, 350 then 370Z. Had a CTS-V for a couple years too. When my son got his "full" licence, I knew the V had to go. While still exposed on the Spyder, I am much more comfortable with the margins of safety that 3 wheels provide, and once I saw one, I knew I had to have it. Took the demo course, got my endorsement and waited a year to see if I still wanted one or if it was a phase. When Can-Am came out with the $2k rebate on the 2017s I knew it was time, so there is a new black beauty in the garage. Along with a pair of waverunners that my boys (14, 16, 18) can legally ride (at least in Florida). So lots of powersports toys! And the wife got her 3 wheel endorsement too!
    Last edited by finsfanscott; 10-23-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

43 and on my second Spyder. Got my first one in 2010 (RSS) @ 36 because it was different. I ride in the mountains and foothills of Colorado where they use sand in the winter for environmentally friendly added traction, instead of salt. Makes riding bikes in the spring and on nice days in the winter a little sketchy. Missed 2 wheels for a little bit and sold the RSS for a Harley for a while. Then this summer the weather was just miserable. Rained almost every day, usually in the morning or afternoon right when I'd want to be on the bike commuting. Got tired of worrying about wet roads and not having enough storage for carrying all my weather gear. A few months ago I did a BRP demo day with some F3 models so they were on my mind. At my local dealer I found a nice 2017 F3S Daytona that just called to me, so I traded the Harley and now I'm back on 3 wheels.

Now that I've got a Spyder again, I've been asked by a lot of people about why I made the switch, and some of my 2 wheeled friends ribbing me for getting the "Grandpa trike". The simplest way I've been able to explain it is that on 2 wheels the ride is more "fun", very little beats leaning into a long stretch of S shaped sweepers. However, riding the Spyder is more "enjoyable", as I don't have to pay so much attention to tar snakes, sand, uneven lanes, gravel, and being totally invisible to other drivers. The nice wide profile is easier for oncoming traffic to see (the bright yellow paint job doesn't hurt either). Instead of being so focused on the ground, I can look up, enjoy the scenery around me. Enjoy the passenger behind me whose a lot more comfortable and relaxed than on 2 wheels.

As for the grandpa trike people, well, blowing by them on a mountain switchback with the ass end kicked out from slipping on some icy runoff from an early season storm while they puttered along at 5 MPH trying not to fall over crossing the same runoff was all the vindication I needed. They looked terrified, while I was smiling and waving as I went by on my old man machine.

Active Member RockyMountainRider50's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSkeets View Post
    It seems that the majority of Spyder-ers are relatively older or they have medical issues that makes it difficult to ride two wheels or they are just simply apprehensive on two wheels. I was wondering how many of you have a Spyder "just because".
    Me? I'm 49 and, thankfully, fully capable of riding two wheels. However, I chose a Spyder not only because of the safety features and the stability, but simply because it is different. Unless there is something out there that is really unique, everything else is just cookie cutter. Sure, there are different models of Harleys, cruisers and sport bikes, but for the most part, if you've seen one, you've seen them all. Most people don't take a second look at most bikes. With the Spyder, sooo many people check it out
    "Whaaat's up" from the mile-high! The RockytMountain Ryder repping the 303. I'm 53, 11B/11M Infantry, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom 20 year retired Army vet with only sleep issue and most of my fellow/Filas ryders are much older. I recent met a couple in there 70s both with their own Spyders that are out having the times of their lives. Props to Dave and Ross VanRiper fam. You guys are a blast to be around. Keep Ryding!
    2012 RT LTD & RT-622 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default I'am not old

I have been riding for about 60 years.Two wheeler's until my lady friend bought a 2013 rts because she was scared to ride with me on two wheels.In 2014 I bought a STS L so she sold her rt after we rode it for 20,000 miles.I have 47,000 miles on the ST.27,000 miles this year.I was down to Biketoberfest last week in Daytona.I got up Sunday morning.My gps said I was 788 miles from home.I was at the Fla. GA line and headed for Ohio.11 and 1/2 hours later I was home.I had a Ron Bar installed two weeks ago at Spyder Adventure at Maggie Valley.Passing big trucks on the free way has no affect on the bike now.I think the bar was the best investment I have ever made.I can ride all day at 75 or 80 mph.Gas mileage goes down to 28 to 30 mpg.I had to stop for fuel about every 130 miles.That bike could use a 10 gal tank for trips like that.I really Enjoy this bike.You would not want to hear about my many health issues but a year ago I was in the emergency room.The Doctors asked my friend to leave the room because I was going sideways,what ever that means.It scared me to the point of where I got out of the hospital and never wanted to smoke again after having the habit for 65 years.I was on oxygen at that time but a year later I am off the oxygen and feel 30 years younger.I think it was two years ago that I bought a first gear winter riding suite.

Spyder Garage

Default Am I Old ... ?

New to Spyder and new to the forum. I am 59, nearly 60. I guess that's "old" but I don't feel it. I'm fortunate to be in perfect health, a regular gym user, and into scuba, swimming, running, biking, hiking and all other kinds of outdoor activities. Nevertheless, I recently traded my BMW F700GS for a new Spyder RT, not because I couldn't ride the BMW but because I realized I really had no interest in off-road riding. Also, my wife (who always wants to accompany me) wasn't comfortable on the back of the BMW and was in fear of going down (unjustified, but that's what she felt and I respect that). Thought about moving up to a R1200RT but felt it was too big and expensive for something that still required balancing. My wife wanted me to check out the Spyder and we took a test ride. We chose the Spyder because she felt comfortable and stable in her "throne," I felt it was safer than the BMW (nobody fails to see the Spyder), it has way more storage (we're always running errands on it), you don't ever forget to put down the kickstand (!), and because it's hard to accidentally kill the engine in an intersection when you have a semi-automatic. Also, I may be weird but I kind of find the cornering to be exciting. I liked that the Spyder was "different" and nobody else in our neighborhood has one -- they're all into the generic black-everything Harleys, black boots, black T-shirt, black helmet. What a bore. Zzzzzzzz. I don't really care what others think anyway. Those who criticize Spyder owners are just pinheads. Ignore them.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

61 have had 5 Goldwing and several sport bikes. Don't like trikes with the rear wheels. Just like the rt's. Really wanted to be different.

Spyder Garage

Default It's Ironic

Back in the mid 70's Can Am had a dirt bike that was nicknamed the "black widow" because of its bad handling and narrow power and. A few years later I broke my right knee in several places. 40 years later I find my self riding a Can Am Spyder so that I can still enjoy riding. What goes around comes around.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by The Bee!! View Post
    61 here no health issues and a female to boot. Always rode on the back of my husband Harley and never had any desire to drive a 2 wheel bike myself. Sat on a Spyder at the dealers in 2013 and thought i can do this.... Ordered a 2014 RT-S and have been enjoying it ever since. Miss being able to take pictures and watch the scenery go by. But, enjoy having my own bike and also the safety and comfort of the Spyder.
    Hey Bee, not too sure how she does it, but my wife continues to take photos on our RT! Like this one vcm_s_kf_repr_882x588.jpg
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.