Spyder Garage

Default how to clean out evap canister any vidios

Hi my 2014 rt-s has been hard starting and not wanting to idol. Is there a vidio that shows were and how to remove and clean the evap canister
    thanks kenn

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CHARCOAL / EVAP CANNISTER

Quote Originally Posted by kbwitt View Post
    Hi my 2014 rt-s has been hard starting and not wanting to idol. Is there a vidio that shows were and how to remove and clean the evap canister
    thanks kenn
    I've never heard of anybody trying to clean one ...... If it's gotten GAS in there ... the GAS will evaporate , the charcoal can dry and probably function again ...... but it's a TIME thing ..... if removed I think using a hair dryer might speed up the process.... but be careful about melting any plastic ...... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking

There are some threads on eliminating the canister altogether if it is the problem. As Mike stated you can try to dry it out a bit faster but have not seen any posts about it. You might also check the vaccum lines to the throttle body and the manifold the body mounts to the engine for cracks...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I overfilled my tank and it was hard starting. I've been told that if you overfill it make sure you drive it for a while to get the gas out of there before shutting down. After driving it for a while it has been fine. Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Just get rid of it. It will always be a headache and a potential fire problem. Cheap, easy and you're done with it forever. This canister does nothing for your Spyder. Now you can fill your fuel tank to your hearts content with never a worry. Filling your tank will give you additional range before needing to fill again.

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kbwitt View Post
    thanks kenn
    I dunno kenn, I don't think there's going to to be too much out there about 'cleaning' the evap canister, after-all, it's effectively just an activated charcoal filled container with a couple of vent hoses & a drain attached so it can condense fuel filled fumes to extract the dangerous contaminants & drain any overflow or resulting liquids.

Worrying about cleaning that is sorta like feeling the need to pull the exhaust off your engine so that you can clean any film of soot off the inside of that....

Personally, I wouldn't bother with doing either!!

Have you checked/replaced your vacuum hoses yet? If they are letting air in thru the minute cracks that will form in the OE material over time, & that could well be a large part your starting & idle problems.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I dunno kenn, I don't think there's going to to be too much out there about 'cleaning' the evap canister, after-all, it's effectively just an activated charcoal filled container with a couple of vent hoses & a drain attached so it can condense fuel filled fumes to extract the dangerous contaminants & drain any overflow or resulting liquids.

Worrying about cleaning that is sorta like feeling the need to pull the exhaust off your engine so that you can clean any film of soot off the inside of that....

Personally, I wouldn't bother with doing either!!

Have you checked/replaced your vacuum hoses yet? If they are letting air in thru the minute cracks that will form in the OE material over time, & that could well be a large part your starting & idle problems.
    The Evap Canister is designed to capture VAPORS ONLY from the fuel tank and route them back into the engine combustion cycle through a Purge Valve system. Most Evap Canisters are located ABOVE the fuel tank so no raw fuel can enter this vent/capture/recycle system. But the Spyder has it located BELOW the fuel tank. If any liquid fuel enters the vent hose going to the Evap Canister it has nowhere else to go but down into the canister which defeats the function of the system and renders it not only useless. But potentially dangerous. Not to mention that you need to be careful never to overfill the fuel tank or fill it and park it shortly thereafter as the fuel will expand as it heats and potentially flood the canister with raw fuel.

The canister system is not designed to handle raw fuel. You will usually get a gasoline smell most of the time, (especially when stopped after riding as you heat the canister and raw fuel trapped within).

To ignore a canister with raw fuel in it is not the best way to go. It needs to be replaced or removed.

Spyder Garage

All good advice above, but no one ever seems to mention checking and cleaning/replacing the canister air filter. If the air filter is dirty, clogged, restricted, etc., then the evap system cannot function as designed. This would lead to the canister doing its job collecting vapors, but not being able to be purged of those vapors since a clogged air filter would create a vacuum in the canister. You can't clean the canister, but you can clean or replace the air filter.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    All good advice above, but no one ever seems to mention checking and cleaning/replacing the canister air filter. If the air filter is dirty, clogged, restricted, etc., then the evap system cannot function as designed. This would lead to the canister doing its job collecting vapors, but not being able to be purged of those vapors since a clogged air filter would create a vacuum in the canister. You can't clean the canister, but you can clean or replace the air filter.
    In the '14 and later RTs replacing the filter is one of those breeze jobs, takes longer to remove and reinstall the Tupperware than change the filter.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The Evap Canister is designed to capture VAPORS ONLY from the fuel tank and route them back into the engine combustion cycle through a Purge Valve system. Most Evap Canisters are located ABOVE the fuel tank so no raw fuel can enter this vent/capture/recycle system. But the Spyder has it located BELOW the fuel tank. If any liquid fuel enters the vent hose going to the Evap Canister it has nowhere else to go but down into the canister which defeats the function of the system and renders it not only useless. But potentially dangerous. Not to mention that you need to be careful never to overfill the fuel tank or fill it and park it shortly thereafter as the fuel will expand as it heats and potentially flood the canister with raw fuel.

The canister system is not designed to handle raw fuel. You will usually get a gasoline smell most of the time, (especially when stopped after riding as you heat the canister and raw fuel trapped within).

To ignore a canister with raw fuel in it is not the best way to go. It needs to be replaced or removed.

Agreed. To take it further, once the evap cannister becomes saturated with raw fuel it can not be dried out and restored to normal functioning. Like Ron said, it is designed for vapors only not liquids. Liquid fuel destroys the charcoal's ability to return the vapors into the system. It just clogs and becomes worthless, and once that happens it can only be replaced or eliminated.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    if removed I think using a hair dryer might speed up the process.... but be careful about melting any plastic ...... good luck ..... Mike
    If your hair dryer makes sparks, if you ever see it again, it will probably be very dry from the fire and explosion.
    Last edited by rcturner; 10-22-2017 at 04:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default My problem too.

I've been having trouble with this too. Love to fix it. But a simple question, Where can I find the cannister?
    I would assume the air filter is close by. If I remove the cannister do I just plug the hoses with a bolt and
    small clamps?
    Thanks
    Chbuck

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HOW TO FIND IT

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Chuck 54 View Post
    I've been having trouble with this too. Love to fix it. But a simple question, Where can I find the cannister?
    I would assume the air filter is close by. If I remove the cannister do I just plug the hoses with a bolt and
    small clamps?
    Thanks
    Chbuck
    Location varies depending on year and model ..... Cheapcycleparts.com has Fiches' for all Spyders that will show you where yours is ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Chuck 54 View Post
    small clamps?
    Thanks
    Chbuck
    There are a number of ways to go with a 'Canister-Ectomy'. One way is as you describe for the PCV (Purge) valve. Leave a stub of hose, insert a bolt of the correct size and length (a bit of silicone gasket sealer doesn't hurt but is probably not necessary) and finish off with a hose clamp.

But the smaller hose is the vent for your fuel tank and you DO NOT want to block or seal that off. You will need to extend this hose (just get a vacuum hose splice) and add about 2'. I recommend running it along the right frame rail under the seat to about mid-rear fender. Secure it with a few Zip-Ties. I finished mine off with a small, clear lawn mower fuel filter.

The Fuel Filter at the end of the vent hose not only keeps anything from getting in, but it shows you if you are getting any raw fuel in the vent hose. I fill my Spyder as full as I can get it and I have never had any raw fuel in this filter. I can usually get 1/2 - 1 Gallon of fuel in after the 1st auto-shutoff on the nozzle. That extra fuel has paid off more than once.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-24-2017 at 09:47 AM.