Thread: GARMIN PROBLEMS

Spyder Garage

Default GARMIN PROBLEMS

I HAVE A 2014 RT LIMITED. MY GARMIN CHARGES IN THE CAR AND WORKS ON THE BIKE BUT LOOSES ITS CHARGE ON THE BIKE.
    ANY SUGGESTIONS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider1 View Post
    I HAVE A 2014 RT LIMITED. MY GARMIN CHARGES IN THE CAR AND WORKS ON THE BIKE BUT LOOSES ITS CHARGE ON THE BIKE.
    ANY SUGGESTIONS.
    Mine kept saying the battery was low and was still working on the bike. I took the battery out and wiggled the connection and then it would charge.

Spyder Garage

Mine will charge if plugged in by the USB port but it doesn't know when it is plugged into the bike. That tells me the GPS is fine but there is something wrong on the bike's side. My dealer will looking into this when I take it in tomorrow.
    2017 RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

could be a cradle or harness problem on the bike since you say it charges in your car.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

ANY SUGGESTIONS.
    Clean your connections on the back of the Garmin with a pencil eraser, then clean your pins on the bike connector touching them just slightly and making sure you do not bend them.
    Once this is done, blow all remaining residue away and see if it works.
    I have a 2015 with 26000 miles on it and I have had do clean the connectors a couple of times. So fat it has worked every time I have done it. That's the same thing we used to do on computer boards when they weren't working properly,and the same thing I have to do to the connections of my smart watch every now and then.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Garmin problems

ANY SUGGESTIONS.

Try this. Go to a Best Buy in your area and buy the cable for charging your Garmin. Plug it into your USB port and see if the GPS will work off the cable. If it does then the problem is with the connection between the GPS and the mount. If battery is dead then you should be able to use this connection while driving. Hope this helps, Nightrider!
    2011 RT-S SE5 Viper Red
    2014 RT-S SE6 Cognac
    Bajaron sway bar w/ aluminum heims
    Custom Design HM Brake light
    Custom Design Red front fender lights with turn signals
    Lidlox
    Corbin arm rests
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

With the gps is in the motorcycle mount and turned off. Turn on the ignition key. The gps should turn itself on. If not there is no power to the mount. Since it is powered through the radio. If the radio works. Then the harness has gotten unplugged or the fuse in the mount harness has blown. Both are located on the right side, near the rear of the fuel tank. Take off some tupperware and have a look.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Before buying anything, you should have a cable for your GPS that you use to connect to a computer to download routes or to update the map on the GPS. Disconnected from the Spyder, turn on the GPS and check the battery charge level. Then connect the GPS to your computer and leave it to charge overnight. Once this is done, again check the charge on the disconnected GPS. If it reads fully charged, the problem is in the Spyder wiring harness or the mount and connecting pins/contacts of the mount and GPS. Since you said it charges in your car, the problem smells like connecting pins/contacts between the mount and GPS.

FWIW, although my GPS is a 590 I did experience a situation early in GPS ownership wherein I received a "Low Battery" warning each time I turned off the Spyder. Garmin had me do the overnight charge on the computer and found the battery would not fully charge. They replaced the battery under warranty.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    With the gps is in the motorcycle mount and turned off. Turn on the ignition key. The gps should turn itself on. If not there is no power to the mount. Since it is powered through the radio. If the radio works. Then the harness has gotten unplugged or the fuse in the mount harness has blown. Both are located on the right side, near the rear of the fuel tank. Take off some tupperware and have a look.
    +100....
    If it still does not get power with the key on, then the power connection at the gas tank under the mid panel may not be hooked up. There is also a fuse in that power line there so check that.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black