Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Riding boots / Heat issue with SpyderCity floorboard

I just had the SpyderCity (a sponsor on this site) floorboards installed by my dealer and now have a heat issue on my feet - mainly right foot. I discovered this situation on my ride home from dealership while wearing my ankle height Harley motorcycle boots. My right leg was feeling rather warm through my riding pants. The floor boards are actually nice and I could apply the brake with my heel and I could have even downshifted with my left heel if need be.

Yesterday I rode with my Alpine high top riding boots that I always wore with my sport bike and while protecting me from the heat, I didn't have the flexibility that I have with my Harley boots. This was never an issue with my sport bike as I maintained the same riding position with it.

I am trying to find a FLEXIBLE AND COMFORTABLE high top woman's riding boot that is comfortable and doesn't feel like I am carrying 10 pounds on each foot. I know the heat will be a real issue when riding out to California, let alone around here in TN this summer, so I need heat protection for my feet/legs.

I have called SpyderCity and reported this heat issue with these floorboards to the woman who answered as I wanted to see if they have come up with any ideas around this, but I haven't heard back as of yet.

Any suggestions on boots that I could check into? Searching on Internet doesn't provide a wealth of information -- experience from other riders is much more helpful. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Yep, my Simple Floorboards did the same.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...le+floorboards
    I made a deflector from a one gallon oil jug to cover the space beside and under the side panel scoop and send the hot air out the side hole, instead of at my right foot.
    Last edited by mike3069; 05-15-2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Photo's added
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You haven't had engine overheating problems?

Spyder Garage

Absolutely no overheating problems. Made no change in the # of bars putting this in.

14,000 miles in 12 1/2 months of riding and my has never shown me an overheating message, before or after this mod.
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Do you recall what the warmest outside temps were?

Again, just concerned with desert riding temps.

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

This happening was my main concern when I first saw the pics of these floorboards and so stated on this forum. I was told by one Spyder Ryder that I needed to be careful what I said about them. The scoop deflectors are there to deflect the heat coming from the engine. You cut out the scoops and you will get heat. Wish I could suggest a solution. You will most probably, if you ride in the daytime to California, encounter 110+F temperatures. The heat from the asphalt will exceed 150F. I don't know of any boot that will keep your feet cooler in that kind of heat.
    Last edited by Dudley; 05-16-2009 at 03:19 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    This happening was my main concern when I first saw the pics of these floorboards and so stated on this forum. I was told by one Spyder Ryder that I needed to be careful what I said about them. The scoop defectors are there to deflect the heat coming from the engine. You cut out the scoops and you will get heat. Wish I could suggest a solution. You will most probably, if you ride in the daytime to California, encounter 110+F temperatures. The heat from the asphalt will exceed 150F. I don't know of any boot that will keep your feet cooler in that kind of heat.
    Thanks for your post. Ron from SpyderCity did just return my call and my husband talked to him as well. Ron said he is going to look at the Spyder at his shop and see if the issue could be remedied. My husband suggested to me (and possibly to Ron) of Ron modifying his floorboard to create some sort of toe stop that would help to deflect the heat. Sounded like a good idea to me. Just wish I had thought this issue out before purchasing. BUT I want to give Ron/SpyderCity a chance.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you are still looking for boots, you might try these.

Roho

http://www.roadgear.com/index.php?pa...d=46&sub_id=80

Spyder Garage

My solution is tough to picture...and even worse when I took a picture of it...here goes.

The inside of the cowl, there's a scoop. With a flashlight, you can see that there's plenty of room around the scoop for air to travel past the scoop, along the engine, out towards your legs.

Walmart sells 3 ring binders that have a (thick but pliable) soft plastic outer cover. I cut the cover out so that it's curved similar to the scoop. I attached the plastic to the scoop and extended the scoop by 3 to 4 inches, therefore directing more air out of the side opening.

I'm patenting it...'Extendo-Scoopo-Fo-My-Spydio"
    Last edited by Twodog185; 05-15-2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: spelling, mostly
    Happy Owner
    Chances are the referenced post is positive in nature, may result in a solution, alteration, modification, or highlights an extraordinary event or ride, that's worth posting.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Twodog185 View Post

I love it!

I will pass this info along to my engineer of a husband. He is a much better mechanic/designer/repairman than I am with things like this.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Twodog185 View Post
    My solution is tough to picture...and even worse when I took a picture of it...here goes.

The inside of the cowl, there's a scoop. With a flashlight, you can see that there's plenty of room around the scoop for air to travel past the scoop, along the engine, out towards your legs.

Walmart sells 3 ring binders that have a (thick but pliable) soft plastic outer cover. I cut the cover out so that it's curved similar to the scoop. I attached the plastic to the scoop and extended the scoop by 3 to 4 inches, therefore directing more air out of the side opening.

This is the same basic concept I used, but I had an old oil jug handy!
    If you cut it right, you can leave a little tab from the bottom of the jug that you can slide under the screw that holds the lower flat black bodywork in place to secure it.
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You might want to wrap your pipe. I had the same problem with my spyder getting hot and the heat would just about melt my leg off. I found it on Jcwhitney.com and I just took off the panels, wet the wrap and applied it like a bandage over the pipe on the left, I couldn't get my hands in the engine to get to the other pipe. It took away a lot of the heat on my leg. I also wear Icon Accelerant boots and the feel like I have a pair of high top basketball shoes on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwidow74 View Post
    You might want to wrap your pipe. I had the same problem with my spyder getting hot and the heat would just about melt my leg off. I found it on Jcwhitney.com and I just took off the panels, wet the wrap and applied it like a bandage over the pipe on the left, I couldn't get my hands in the engine to get to the other pipe. It took away a lot of the heat on my leg. I also wear Icon Accelerant boots and the feel like I have a pair of high top basketball shoes on.

The heat in question here (on the right foot) is coming from the air that is passing thru the radiator. The air picks up heat as it passes the radiator fins, then part is deflected out the side of the side panel and some leaks around the deflector on the bottom and inside edges. By sealing these "holes" in the deflector almost all the air is sent out the side away from your foot. This solution does not seem to change the air flow thru the radiator, just changes the path the air follows as it exits the radiator, keeping the heat away from your foot.
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dragonheart View Post
    Do you recall what the warmest outside temps were?

Again, just concerned with desert riding temps.

Thanks.

The highest temps I saw on the Spyder were in the low 100's. NEVER saw an overheat error. I think Lamonster's idea of removing the underside panels is a good one for trying to get rid of extra heat from the engine compartment if that is a problem for you.
    Last edited by mike3069; 05-15-2009 at 06:12 PM.
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

But the floorboards she installed requires you to cut away a good chunk of the hot air deflectors to install it. There is nothing but a gaping hole where the deflector used to be. Hot air on your legs/feet is a given. That's why when I first saw the pics a while back, I posted this to be a problem. IMO this idea was too soon put on the market and needs a lot more R&D before I would even consider it. I posted a few other safety factors as well.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    But the floorboards she installed requires you to cut away a good chunk of the hot air deflectors to install it. There is nothing but a gaping hole where the deflector used to be. Hot air on your legs/feet is a given. That's why when I first saw the pics a while back, I posted this to be a problem. IMO this idea was too soon put on the market and needs a lot more R&D before I would even consider it. I posted a few other safety factors as well.
    Dudley, which floorboards are you talking about? I don't recall seeing this, and agree it would be detrimental to keeping your foot cool!
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mike3069 View Post
    Dudley, which floorboards are you talking about? I don't recall seeing this, and agree it would be detrimental to keeping your foot cool!
    The ones from SpyderCity. Search SpyderCity and you will find the thread. Ok, got the link:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ght=spydercity

It's a long thread, but I posted my concerns then.
    Last edited by Dudley; 05-15-2009 at 07:37 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

I somehow missed these Spydercity floorboards needing to have you cut away a bunch of the plastic.

I must say I think BOTH feet would suffer from heat exposure with what I can see in the pictures!!!!!

Not a good solution to my way of thinking.
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mike3069 View Post
    I somehow missed these Spydercity floorboards needing to have you cut away a bunch of the plastic.

I must say I think BOTH feet would suffer from heat exposure with what I can see in the pictures!!!!!

Not a good solution to my way of thinking.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quiznos comes to mind -- toasty!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dragonheart View Post
    I just had the SpyderCity (a sponsor on this site) floorboards installed by my dealer and now have a heat issue on my feet - mainly right foot. I discovered this situation on my ride home from dealership while wearing my ankle height Harley motorcycle boots. My right leg was feeling rather warm through my riding pants. The floor boards are actually nice and I could apply the brake with my heel and I could have even downshifted with my left heel if need be.

Yesterday I rode with my Alpine high top riding boots that I always wore with my sport bike and while protecting me from the heat, I didn't have the flexibility that I have with my Harley boots. This was never an issue with my sport bike as I maintained the same riding position with it.

I am trying to find a FLEXIBLE AND COMFORTABLE high top woman's riding boot that is comfortable and doesn't feel like I am carrying 10 pounds on each foot. I know the heat will be a real issue when riding out to California, let alone around here in TN this summer, so I need heat protection for my feet/legs.

I have called SpyderCity and reported this heat issue with these floorboards to the woman who answered as I wanted to see if they have come up with any ideas around this, but I haven't heard back as of yet.

Any suggestions on boots that I could check into? Searching on Internet doesn't provide a wealth of information -- experience from other riders is much more helpful. Thanks!
    Keep us informed on our heat shield kit the problem seems to be on the rt side only so we are redirecting and shielding the airflow path away from the rt foot in our kit -- keep us updated Ron
    Last edited by ron; 05-16-2009 at 01:09 PM. Reason: aditional information

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Boots

Check out Cruiserworks.com for boots. They have several styles most of which are 11 inch. Also women's styles. They are bit pricy but worth it IMHO. I am on my second pair of the Tour boots. Light and comfy and wearable all day.

Dennis In MD
    The Krusty Old Phart
    Still turnin' burnin' and lurnin'
    2008 Yellow SE5