Spyder Garage

Default Four Corners Tour

Has anyone done the four corners tour on their Spyder? If so, do you have any tips or suggestions, or lessons learned you could share. I plan to do this ride next June starting in Key West. Did you ride highways or back roads or both? How many miles per day did you average?

Spyder Garage

Default Four Corners

My friend, Laura and I rode the Four Corners on our Spyders the end of June through the first of July 2016. We started from Key West, our next goal was Madawaska, Maine, followed by Blaine, Washington and finally San Ysidro, California. We rode mostly highways since Laura was signed up with the Southern California M/C Assoc. and had a time-frame [21 days]. I would love to ride it again without a time-frame and enjoy the ride.
    We even rode through NYC at rush hour and made it through completely in 20 minutes!! People we met along the way were very friendly and most just wanted to take pics of themselves by the Spyders, LOL!
    I will say my favorite places were Madawaska, Maine and Blaine, Washington - far less people and wonderful riding.
    As far as tips, stay away from DC, don't ride in the middle of summer and swing inland to get through California - if you're also riding with a time-frame. Other than that it's a fantastic ride, enjoy the heck out of it!
    The Spyders performed flawlessly

Spyder Garage

I believe there are a couple other threads about four-corners tour. Give the search function a try.

Interstate travel is fast and does have some good scenery--but secondary roads (good ones) can provide added benefits.

Start a blog once the trip begins and give us daily (or so) report and some pictures.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RDM View Post
    Has anyone done the four corners tour on their Spyder? If so, do you have any tips or suggestions, or lessons learned you could share. I plan to do this ride next June starting in Key West. Did you ride highways or back roads or both? How many miles per day did you average?
    Just for clarity, "Four Corners" is where the only place in the USA where four states meet (AZ, NM, CO and UT).

The term "Lap Around America" is commonly used to describe taking a road trip around the whole continental USA.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    Just for clarity, "Four Corners" is where the only place in the USA where four states meet (AZ, NM, CO and UT).

The term "Lap Around America" is commonly used to describe taking a road trip around the whole continental USA.

Before I read the OP's post I also thought he was referring to the area where the four states meet.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Abbot Spyder did the trip this spring on his 2011 RTS, SM5. 2 years earlier he did the 48 states in 10 days on the same Spyder. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post

You are correct on the location of the 4 corners monument but the motorcycle ride that takes you to the 4 corners of the country is called the Four Corners Ride. I don’t believe there are any requirements that you have to take a lap around the continental US to accomplish the ride.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am just wondering about when this would be considered complete.

If one stars in Key West, then Maine, Washington and that town in California, is it done at that point in time?

Or must one complete the loop and return to Key West?

Joe
    Last edited by Buckeye Bleau; 10-18-2017 at 05:49 AM.
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default 4 corners

The Iron Butt 4 corners ryde starts at any one "corner". If it starts at Key West the ryde is finished in California. If you think you need to go back to the original "corner", wouldn't that be the 5 corners ryde?
    Good question Joe.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    I am just wondering aboutwhen this would be considered complete.

If one stars in Key West, then Maine, Washington and that town in California, is it done at that point in time?

Or must one complete the loop and return to Key West?

Joe

Spyder Garage

While we're on the subject of long distance riding: has a Sypder ever participated in the real Iron Butt ("11,000 miles in 11 days")? I think a big advantage would be not having to plan for a change of tires in the middle of the event.

I think I have an idea as to where the supplemental gas tank goes.......

Spyder Garage

Default Ride it anyway you like

The "Four Corners Tour" - the USA one, starts in whatever corner you like and can be ridden as a loop, an "X", or a forward or reverse "N" or "Z". How ever you ride it - it is a blast!
    If you want recognition [rules and such] contact: Southern California Motorcycle Association: SCMA USA Four Corners Tour: sc-ma.com, usafc@sc-ma.com or (805) 889-5220. You can find other tours and rides in the "Coming Events" section of the AMA American Motorcyclist magazine under AMA National Grand Tours.

The Four Corners is another neat place to ride to too. Gorgeous scenery and great "fry bread"!!

Spyder Garage

Default california

Quote Originally Posted by TXrider View Post
    My friend, Laura and I rode the Four Corners on our Spyders the end of June through the first of July 2016. We started from Key West, our next goal was Madawaska, Maine, followed by Blaine, Washington and finally San Ysidro, California. We rode mostly highways since Laura was signed up with the Southern California M/C Assoc. and had a time-frame [21 days]. I would love to ride it again without a time-frame and enjoy the ride.
    We even rode through NYC at rush hour and made it through completely in 20 minutes!! People we met along the way were very friendly and most just wanted to take pics of themselves by the Spyders, LOL!
    I will say my favorite places were Madawaska, Maine and Blaine, Washington - far less people and wonderful riding.
    As far as tips, stay away from DC, don't ride in the middle of summer and swing inland to get through California - if you're also riding with a time-frame. Other than that it's a fantastic ride, enjoy the heck out of it!
    The Spyders performed flawlessly
    If you are passing through, use I5 or 99 for speed, but if you want scenery, take Highway 1 and don't miss Big Sur when they reopen Highway 1 after replacing the bridge that washed out. I doubt there is a prettier ride anywhere, mountains and forested ridges inland on the east side, dropping to ocean vistas on the west side. I've done it in cars and plan to do it on the F3 as soon as they reopen it. It's slower than the 101 or the 5, but worth it. I just did some research, CalTrans replaced the washed out bridge in record time, it just opened, but they say it will be mid to late 2018 before the are able to clear the big slide that has the southern end closed.
    Last edited by CA Railwhale; 10-17-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

.....or consider crossing the Golden Gate Bridge and riding HWY 1 north. Very slow (35ish) and very pretty. A few small towns along the way with interesting food. Take a jacket though because onshore winds and fog are often present.

Spyder Garage

Just my 2 cents, I did the 4 corners tour in May, starting in Madawaska then Key West, to San Isidro and finish the tour in Blaine. I did it with a friend who has a Goldwing in 9 days. And then we rode home to Maine. We did mostly highway because I had just 2 weeks to do it. I had a 2011 RTS, witch I traded after I came back for a 2016 RTS Special edition. My 2011 had 54000 miles.
    IBA # 61125
    Saddle Sore 1000
    Bun Burner 1500
    1st one to do 48/10 on a Spyder
    4 Corner Finisher
    SCMA Member

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wow, I cannot imagine how one does 48 states in less than 10 days.
    My seat would not tolerate it, of that I am sure.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    While we're on the subject of long distance riding: has a Sypder ever participated in the real Iron Butt ("11,000 miles in 11 days")? I think a big advantage would be not having to plan for a change of tires in the middle of the event.

I think I have an idea as to where the supplemental gas tank goes.......
    Fat Baxter,
    If you're referring to the Biennial Iron Butt Rally, No Spyder has ever participated in an IBR. While I was at this year's IBR finish to get my 1st IBA SS1K certificate, I spoke to the IBA Powers that be. No spyder rider has ever submitted an application for the IBR. Assuming some spyder rider did complete some long distance touring or IBA Rides and did submit, they thought it likely they'd get an IBR slot, just for the uniqueness of a Spyder attempting the IBR. There are MANY spyders that have done one or more of the many other IBA certified rides.

It's on my list, I've completed a SS1K in 2017, will be attempting a BunBurner 1500, BBGold1500, and SS2K in 2018, cause I just like riding long distance. We do have an 8000+ mile ride planned in 10 - 12 days where we'll be trying to get the 1500's and 2k's.
    You can find lots of facts about the Rally participants (youngest finisher was a passenger 12years old, oldest was a 79 year old on a FJR1300) at
    https://www.ironbutt.org/ibrfacts.htm
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020