Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Definitely check out the belt. I'm sure others here will have the same issue. As for BRP they know there is a problem with the sprockets. BRP authorized the repair no questions asked. I'm sure as this continues to happen more and more they will have to change the metal that the sprockets are made of and have a massive recall. This is a safety issue. Imagine if you are making a left at an intersection and as you start to accelerate the sprocket goes. You are stuck in the middle of the intersection and are now a sitting duck for the oncoming traffic. That could be deadly.
    I used to think it was a terrible thing that life was so unfair. Then I thought, "what if life was fair, and all of the terrible things that happen to us came because we really deserved them?" Now I take great comfort in the general unfairness and hostility of the universe.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Madmartigan View Post
    Definitely check out the belt. I'm sure others here will have the same issue. As for BRP they know there is a problem with the sprockets. BRP authorized the repair no questions asked. I'm sure as this continues to happen more and more they will have to change the metal that the sprockets are made of and have a massive recall. This is a safety issue. Imagine if you are making a left at an intersection and as you start to accelerate the sprocket goes. You are stuck in the middle of the intersection and are now a sitting duck for the oncoming traffic. That could be deadly.
    That is exactly how this thread started last year in Maggie Valley. Ryder was stopped at a light on a 4 lane road and started to take off and the sprocket grenaded. He is extremely lucky he wasn't run down.

Spyder Garage

Call me a sceptic (or anything else you like) but this will not eventuate in a recall - a Service Bulletin maybe, but it's too trivial in BRP's scheme of things to do THAT.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Default 2017 RTS

I WAS ON A TRIP WITH FRIEND, SPYDER WINTER RIDE-IN TOMBSTONE AZ. JAN 2018 FRONT PULLEY FAIL I WAS 15 MILE FROM A DEALER HAD 18500 MILE AT TIME OF FAILLYER.
    Homer Hill

Spyder Garage

Has this been reported to NHSTA? Too many failures listed, how many does it take for a recall?
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just had my 3k service on my 2017 F3T. Told the mechanic I wanted it checked out. He took a picture and no rust. I live in Colorado, a very dry state. May have something to do with it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What would be the downside of leaving the inspection cover off? You could look at the sprocket before every ride.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Machinegunner View Post
    What would be the downside of leaving the inspection cover off? You could look at the sprocket before every ride.

Not much but do not wear shoes with laces....

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Not much but do not wear shoes with laces....
    Very good point! And if you happened to shift the toe of the boot into the rear of the sprocket!! Think I'll keep mine on.

That could get ugly really, really quick!!

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    Very good point! And if you happened to shift the toe of the boot into the rear of the sprocket!! Think I'll keep mine on.

That could get ugly really, really quick!!
    Knowing you Doc as I do, I reckon you could either make a transparent cover as a replacement for the OEM cover or somehow make an inspection window in the existing cover to make it easier for riders to do an inspection from time to time
    Last edited by eddieshep999; 03-08-2018 at 02:51 PM.
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Default Cheap Endoscope Would Do the Trick...

Couldn't one just use some sort of endoscope to snake in and look (and save the work of removing the cover)?
    Something like this could do the trick: http://a.co/iTndUjz
    Boris - The Spyder

Monster FI Stage 1, Elka Stage 2 F&R, BajaRon Swaybar, Lamonster Links,
    Akrapovic Straight Shot Silencer, Madstad Windshield, Cannonball Seats, Driver Backrest, Driver Footboards,
    15" Fat 6 Chrome Wheels, LED Headlights, LED Fog Lights, Chrome Handlebars, Chrome Frame Caps, Front Cargo 12v Power Outlet Kit,
    Ram Phone Mount, USB Power (Handlebars), Full-Size Brake Pedal, Lamonster 3rd Peg w/ Kuryakyn Trident Large ISO-Pegs, Cross-Country Detachable Saddlebags
    2015 F3 , Stock I use the Extended Brake Pedal Silver with black stripes and Can-Am Red/Orange accents

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    Knowing you Doc as I do you, I reckon you could either make a transparent cover as a replacement for the OEM cover or somehow make an inspection window in the existing cover to make it easier for riders to do an inspection from time to time
    In the works..........

Oppsss, well now that cat is out......that's OK we'll still beat 'em on price!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    Couldn't one just use some sort of endoscope to snake in and look (and save the work of removing the cover)?
    We do. When bikes are in for oil changes we do the sprocket inspection from below and rear of the drive sprocket. We are under the bike anyway when its on the lift. You can see enough of the pulley face to determine if there is red dust by lighting up the pulley with a flash light and looking from the rear.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    I ain't using no endoscope. Those are the tools of proctologists to check your endo
    Last edited by Capt. Bob; 03-08-2018 at 04:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Bob View Post
    I ain't using no endoscope. Those are the tools of proctologists to check your endo
    Boris - The Spyder

Monster FI Stage 1, Elka Stage 2 F&R, BajaRon Swaybar, Lamonster Links,
    Akrapovic Straight Shot Silencer, Madstad Windshield, Cannonball Seats, Driver Backrest, Driver Footboards,
    15" Fat 6 Chrome Wheels, LED Headlights, LED Fog Lights, Chrome Handlebars, Chrome Frame Caps, Front Cargo 12v Power Outlet Kit,
    Ram Phone Mount, USB Power (Handlebars), Full-Size Brake Pedal, Lamonster 3rd Peg w/ Kuryakyn Trident Large ISO-Pegs, Cross-Country Detachable Saddlebags
    2015 F3 , Stock I use the Extended Brake Pedal Silver with black stripes and Can-Am Red/Orange accents

Spyder Garage

It takes a Minute or two to take the 3 Screws off the cover and look? That way you get the Full Picture.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I removed the sprocket cover. Then removed the insulation piece behind it. Drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the cover and installed faucet hole cover. Now I can check the sprocket in just seconds. Doesn't look wrong on the bike either. Don't even notice the change.

Spyder Garage

I removed the sprocket cover. Then removed the insulation piece behind it. Drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the cover and installed faucet hole cover. Now I can check the sprocket in just seconds. Doesn't look wrong on the bike either. Don't even notice the change.
    good idea and sounds easy enough
    do you notice an increase in noise with the insulation piece removed?

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Pictures?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I knew some one would ask for pictures. I didn't take any, but simple to visualize. Just take the faucet hole cover and locate a smooth spot on the cover and drill with a hole saw. Only cost about $3 for the hole cover. Haven't ridden it yet, hasn't rained enough to wash the salt off yet.

Spyder Garage

Trouble is, I don't know what a faucet hole cover looks like..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Buy one at a plumbing shop or home improvement store. They are used to cover a hole for the spray hose in a sink if it is not used. They are held in with little fingers on their back. Go in and come out easily.

Spyder Garage

here's a link to one at Home Depot
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Elkay-Ki...125R/202266945

still wondering If there is a noticeable noise increase after removal of the insulation piece.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    here's a link to one at Home Depot
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Elkay-Ki...125R/202266945

still wondering If there is a noticeable noise increase after removal of the insulation piece.

Aha! I'll see if we can get such a thing over here. Thanks guys.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you are on to something. It will be interesting how it works over time with the vibration from the byke and the road.

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast