Spyder Garage

Default Loctite question (yellow)

By now, anyone who has done any work on their own Spyder has run across Loctite on many of the bolts that have been removed. Tried searching the net for clues, but not seem to be finding what I am looking for.

My question is about the yellow colored Loctite. Had no idea that color really existed until I started working on this bike.

Seems a lot harder to get certain bolts loose that have this stuff on it. I was certain that one of the muffler/exhaust bolts was gonna break due to the effort I was putting on it.

Anyone has a solution to dealing with or dissolving this stuff? For now, I have been using a spinning wire brush on my drill press to clean of the bolt threads, but the stuff is still inside the nuts themselves, and seems to want to bind up when putting the bolt back inside of it.
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    By now, anyone who has done any work on their own Spyder has run across Loctite on many of the bolts that have been removed. Tried searching the net for clues, but not seem to be finding what I am looking for.

My question is about the yellow colored Loctite. Had no idea that color really existed until I started working on this bike.

Seems a lot harder to get certain bolts loose that have this stuff on it. I was certain that one of the muffler/exhaust bolts was gonna break due to the effort I was putting on it.

Anyone has a solution to dealing with or dissolving this stuff? For now, I have been using a spinning wire brush on my drill press to clean of the bolt threads, but the stuff is still inside the nuts themselves, and seems to want to bind up when putting the bolt back inside of it.
    I ran into gobs of that yellow when I was trying to remove two of the handlebar bolts to install my Lamonster RAM Center Mount for my X-grip phone mount system. I snapped TWO high-quality 7mm hex bits off like twigs trying to get the bolts off, and finally had to resort to a friends impact wrench to get them out. Lamonster's center mount had two new bolts, so I didn't have to worry about getting the crud off of the old bolts. Not much I could do about the yellow threadlocker down the bolt hole, so I just put the new ones in with a moderate amount of Blue Loctite.

I researched what this stuff might be, but didn't find an easy answer. It's probably BRP's own witches-brew threadlocker specifically designed to make do-it-yourself'ers give up and go to a dealership . It doesn't help that they put about half a bottle down on each bolt.

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking

Search /google yellow threadlock and you will find quite a few. Loctite makes several 058, 026, 330 seems to be medium strength some refer to it as acrylic adhesive...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

in some cases a bit of heat works to help loosen the thread locker

Spyder Garage

Default Here's what I do.....

If it's really tough I just go to the tap and die and clean the threads. Then brush and re-apply...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Try the "cracking" method. Tighten the bolt a bit before loosening it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    If it's really tough I just go to the tap and die and clean the threads. Then brush and re-apply...

I would not suggest this method due to the possibility of removing material from the bolt. I believe a better method is just to burn it off with a lighter or such, then lightly hit it with a wire brush. There won't be enough heat to damage the heat treatment and will remove the thread locker with ease.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Its not a Loctite product

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    ...My question is about the yellow colored Loctite. Had no idea that color really existed until I started working on this bike.
    Here you go an older post from the Professor..

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    3M™ Fastener Adhesives 2353 (blue) and 2353Y (yellow) are microencapsulated, room-temperature curing adhesives that enhance the anchorage of threaded fasteners. The adhesives are designed to be coated on the fasteners and dried; they remain dormant until the shearing action of engaging the fastener into a nut or threaded cavity breaks the capsules and allows the adhesive to cure. Typical applications are fasteners for the engine compartment or safety-related parts.
    This is a normal temp formula that is designed for applications where the service temperature will not exceed 116°C (240°F).

Fasteners with these products can be reused a few times, provided the fasteners are not wire brushed or cleaned with toluene or a similar solvent.
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Soaked the bolts in acetone for about 30 minutes, then ran them thru the tap and set. The stuff came off easier than using just the wire brush. They are just about clean enough to handthread them on part of the way and the rest of the way with socket wrenches. I'll use blue Loctite on them.
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac