Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default How About Washing WITH Water And ???...???

Since there's already a thread about what's best to use as a waterless washer for your Spyder, I thought that I'd ask what's best to use WITH water? Specifically, I'd like something that you connect to your hose to apply soap (and which soap do you use?), then disconnect and just rinse off with water from the hose. (Yup, I'm lazy....especially when getting down into the grill).

Any thoughts?

Spyder Garage

Water, garden hose--with gentle sprayer for wetting down and rinsing. Bucket with hot water, some automotive wash soap (I use the orange stuff), and a sponge.

Be careful spraying around the switches and gauges. Water in them can mess you up.

One a year on this method for me.

No power washers or drive through washes for me.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-10-2017 at 02:18 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

NO PRESSURE WASHES.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Dawn, unscented original, 3 drops in a bucket and as stated above, standard home garden hose...
    But I do detail the bike with Lamonster's Black Dymond detailer..... it's so smooth....
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I use Turtle Wax biodegradable car wash, 2oz./gal. in bucket with soft wash mitt and gentle water spray wet down and rinse from the old garden hose. I do the wheels last and the TW does a great job removing the brake dust. I recently tried Liquid Performance Premium Cycle Wash cut 50/50 as recommended by Shawn Smoak and Spyder dealer parts guy to clean and following the instructions the crud off the bike from the trip home from Red Rocks rally but was disappointed that I still had to use a mitt to remove the fine grit. Will have to give it another try before ruling it out and sticking with the TW. The Liquid Performance didn't do squat on the brake dust.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

If you're looking for some magic concoction to spray on and rinse off, and end up with a clean bike.....well good luck to ya. There's no replacement for a bucket of good soapy water, a rag or sponge, and a bit of elbow grease...followed by a rinse and dry, and your favorite detailer. So many cleaners out there claiming to get everything clean by simply spraying on and rinsing off. None of em work as good as a good hour of driveway-do-it-yourself-scrubbin'
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I use Turtle Wax biodegradable car wash, 2oz./gal. in bucket with soft wash mitt and gentle water spray wet down and rinse from the old garden hose. I do the wheels last and the TW does a great job removing the brake dust. I recently tried Liquid Performance Premium Cycle Wash cut 50/50 as recommended by Shawn Smoak and Spyder dealer parts guy to clean and following the instructions the crud off the bike from the trip home from Red Rocks rally but was disappointed that I still had to use a mitt to remove the fine grit. Will have to give it another try before ruling it out and sticking with the TW. The Liquid Performance didn't do squat on the brake dust.
    I've had good results with Cycle Wash but I don't cut it; I use it straight. Wet down the bike, spray it on, let it sit for a couple of minutes (cool bike, in the shade,) then rinse it off. Finish off with Black Dymond.

I'll experiment with cutting Cycle Wash and see what difference it makes.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just wash your bike with whatever you'd use on your car... it's that simple!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Washing

I generally use Dawn Platinum and a soft wash mitt for the Spyder and my car. Yesterday I received a "Brush Hero" in the mail that I had ordered to clean the grill and wheels on my Camry and the wheels on the Spyder. Haven't gotten to use it yet, but it looks like it will make cleaning the wheels much easier and you control the water pressure.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm a rebel

Maybe I like living dangerously, but I use my pressure washer (fan spray head) on the undercarriage. Just not anywhere up towards the cockpit or instruments.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's a pretty fair amount of wiring up underneath the Tupperware...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Pressure washer after almost ervery ride but stay back from guages and switches.

I always it on the Spyder or the Wings I have owned over the last 35 years with no problems.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i use a 1600 psi electric power washer on all my stuff, never had a problem. it's not just the psi it's the disbursement and the distance
    from the object.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lots of soft towels soaked in very hot water. Place them all over the motorcycle and let it soak for a few moments. Wipe with the towel, and the dry with a microfiber towel, then hit it with Lamonster's Black Diamond detailed! Brand new! No wasted water either!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Dawn, soap bucket, soft hand brush, clean wash rag, water hose rinse off, dry and then Lamonster Black Diamond detail. Use this combo on both Spyders, and our SUV.

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Spyder Garage

Default Question.

I’ve only owned my Spyder about 2 months. I usually just use Lamont Detailer, used water once when I got home from Montauk (wanted salt water off).

Why does the manual say “don’t use any chrome polish on chrome wheels”? I use water, BRP soap and a soft wheel brush. But can’t figure out why we “can’t” use Black Diamond/Original Bike Spirts to polish chrome wheels.
    Thanks all.
    Jarred.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    I’ve only owned my Spyder about 2 months. I usually just use Lamont Detailer, used water once when I got home from Montauk (wanted salt water off).

Why does the manual say “don’t use any chrome polish on chrome wheels”? I use water, BRP soap and a soft wheel brush. But can’t figure out why we “can’t” use Black Diamond/Original Bike Spirts to polish chrome wheels.
    Thanks all.
    Jarred.
    I read somewhere many years ago, that most wax and polish products tend to hold moisture (from the wax/polish ingredients, or from rain/washing?) and that will cause the chrome to start breaking down and rusting quicker, especially in the seams of the chrome.
    Don't know if that's true, but I stopped using wax and polish on any chrome (just in case) back then, and only clean with soap/water, then dry (chrome sparkles anyway with a good clean and dry).
    If I wanted to use a chrome polish, I will look for a specific "metal" polish, not a "paint" polish. I know there are some out there like Blue Magic Metal, Mothers Mag, Quickway Chrome and others for "metal" specific polish.
    Good luck and a good shine to ya!

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Water, garden hose--with gentle sprayer for wetting down and rinsing. Bucket with hot water, some automotive wash soap (I use the orange stuff), and a sponge.

Be careful spraying around the switches and gauges. Water in them can mess you up.

One a year on this method for me.

No power washers or drive through washes for me.
    I use a coin op washer for mine,just don't pull back on the trigger. Now I would like to see someone use a drive thru washer.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I use blue corral car wash and a soft MIT. Hose it down with the spray nozzle on shower. Then I use a small leaf blower to blow all the water off. It really works great no spots or streaks left on it. Happy Trails

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post

Thanks all.
    Jarred.
    Quite possibly when it's Chrome powder coat, I was told by our local independant Spyder tech (who worked on the Spyder project from the beginning) that some Spyder wheels were powder coated chrome so just because it looks like chrome doesn't mean it is.
    Gary

s

Spyder Garage

I usually don't use even a hose. I use a spray bottle of water along with a microfiber rag. Sit on my Harbor Freight mechanics stool on wheels and scoot around the bike in the driveway. Once in a while (1-2 time a year) I will get the hose out and hit the deep spots. Then, I use Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax. "Leaves a deep, glossy, just-waxed shine" So says the bottle..... Well not quite on my satin finish. But then I need to be careful what I use as normal detailing and waxes are bad for a satin finish. I use Meguiars Ultimate on everything from our RV, Cars, & Bikes and It does leave a clean, shiny surface. My 16 year old Goldwing is as shiny and good looking as it was when new.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I use Blue Coral wash/wax.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahaw View Post
    I have always had good results with Meguiar's G7164 Gold Class Car Wash for both my car and Spyder
    Best car wash you can buy off the shelf.
    2018 RT Limited Champagne Dark

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Pressure washer, I even leave the GPS mounted and wash it at the same time.
    Never has a problem with any electronics or gauges.

Wash it about every 2 days when on our 2 week trip. Sometimes more if it rains.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue