Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain Gear

Spyder Garage

Default Rain Gear

We just got back from another great ride in Murray Ky and was reminded how bad our old Frog Toggs are. Looking to upgrade a bit from the cheap Frog Toggs. Looking for some experienced information on current rain gear.

Searching on line I see 3 models of the Nelson-Rigg Stormrider, Joe Rocket RS-2, and many more that fall in my price range.

I'd also like to get boots and gloves that are water proof for riding in the rain... just in case I get more time to ride next year lol.

Thanks
    JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    Looking to upgrade a bit from the cheap Frog Toggs. Looking for some experienced information on current rain gear. Searching on line I see 3 models of the Nelson-Rigg Stormrider, Joe Rocket RS-2, and many more that fall in my price range. I'd also like to get boots and gloves that are water proof for riding in the rain... just in case I get more time to ride next year lol. JT
    I just recently got the women's Joe Rocket RS-2 jacket and pants for my wife. Jane loves the way they look and fit. I'm impressed with the quality - almost as good as my Olympia and First Gear raingear at 1/2 the price!

For keeping feet dry, I use boot covers. They have them for gloves, also; https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-...cets%5B%5D=729
    Last edited by UtahPete; 10-08-2017 at 06:12 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default rain gear

jthornton

Look no further than Bajaron and the first gear line
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We upgraded our original/old frog toggs with the upgrade hi-vis jacket and reflective piping black pants from frog toggs in April. Got them from the distributor in Alabama.
    Last edited by MikeT; 10-08-2017 at 08:29 PM.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

My frog toggs kept me dry going home from Spyderfest. I was very impressed. My right foot got soaked though. I need to get something better for my feet and hands. The right foot gets a lot more wet because of the hole in the floorboard where the brake peddle comes threw.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Joe Rocket alterego have had it since ‘08 many rain storms, cold temp, hot days all in one system. A lot of up front cost but works as well as the day I got the jacket pants and riding boots.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    My frog toggs kept me dry going home from Spyderfest. I was very impressed. My right foot got soaked though. I need to get something better for my feet and hands. The right foot gets a lot more wet because of the hole in the floorboard where the brake peddle comes threw.
    The last hundred mile were the most intense storms though. I was in Sulpher Springs when that large tornado came threw that hit Canton. I had to shelter in place for a hour but we were not hit. By the way, Thank you for fixing the DESS code error on my Spyder. I had no issues since.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default I’ll let you know

Trying out our new tour master gear tomorrow in this mess. I’ll let you know how we make out. 82E2FEF1-0186-4D2B-A8A5-A1DB1FB0842A.jpg
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Here's something different, a one-piece from Ride Tribe. Designed to take only 20 seconds to don:

Oddly enough, when I tried to go to the Ride Tribe website, Kaspersky threw a big red flag ("malicious URL"). But the YouTube video shows it well.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the input. Lots to look at, the one piece Ride Tribe is interesting, a bit pricey at $200 Has anyone tried one out?

JT
    Last edited by jthornton; 10-09-2017 at 07:48 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The wife got some rain gear off this site http://www.jafrum.com/ and didn't want to spend a lot of cash on rain gear. I was surprised they worked well in the rain.

Spyder Garage

My wife and I have used and like the Rev'It Pacific H2O one piece rainsuit.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-h2o-rain-suit

It packs down nicely and comes in it's own handy carry bag. It's not PVC so it breathes a little and doesn't seem to get overly wet inside from body moisture. It's easy to put on or take off along side of the road or at a gas station or whatnot. It works just as well as some more expensive rainsuits that I've previously tried or owned. All with a very modest buy-in price.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    My wife and I have used and like the Rev'It Pacific H2O one piece rainsuit.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-h2o-rain-suit

It packs down nicely and comes in it's own handy carry bag. It's not PVC so it breathes a little and doesn't seem to get overly wet inside from body moisture. It's easy to put on or take off along side of the road or at a gas station or whatnot. It works just as well as some more expensive rainsuits that I've previously tried or owned. All with a very modest buy-in price.
    I sorta like that one for warmer weather riding. Thanks for the link!

Spyder Garage

have used FroggTogs for a few years. They have el cheapo and good stuff, spend a couple bucks-you'll be glad
    Got mine here http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...ets_and_pants/

great site for clothing

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Default rain gear

Thanks for all the input. Lots to look at, the one piece Ride Tribe is interesting, a bit pricey at $200 Has anyone tried one out?

JT
    JT; if you consider the investment in upper line gore tex gear over the years you'll end up spending less and staying drier with the gore tex suits than you will replacing frog togs. You also don't have to stop and don your rain gear, you are already in your gear; just put your hood up under your helmet, put your rain covers over your gloves. You already have gore tex boots on to keep your feet dry. A lot less hassle when you get caught out in a storm, a lot dryer, warmer and you will not dread riding in the rain. Think about what the high mileage riders use, taint frog togs!!!!
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    JT; if you consider the investment in upper line gore tex gear over the years you'll end up spending less and staying drier with the gore tex suits than you will replacing frog togs. You also don't have to stop and don your rain gear, you are already in your gear; just put your hood up under your helmet, put your rain covers over your gloves. You already have gore tex boots on to keep your feet dry. A lot less hassle when you get caught out in a storm, a lot dryer, warmer and you will not dread riding in the rain. Think about what the high mileage riders use, taint frog togs!!!!
    Warmer is not what I want, it gets mighty hot in the summer in Swamp East Missouri... I'm hip that Frog Toggs are not a long term investment.

Thanks
    JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    Trying out our new tour master gear tomorrow in this mess. I’ll let you know how we make out. 82E2FEF1-0186-4D2B-A8A5-A1DB1FB0842A.jpg
    Yucky wx, how did the gear work out?

JT

Spyder Garage

My rain gear is called, "Thunder Under", and kept me real dry and helped with the warming too in pouring rain and 34º weather going to Red Rock. It is very bright and visible too and that makes me feel more safe from all the cages around me on the interstate through Salt Lake City.
    Just my experience.

Ken
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

Default Great ride

We rode for about two hours in light rain and heavy mist. Tour master jacket was great. That along with Klim pants made for a bone dry day.

Yucky wx, how did the gear work out?

JT
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Warmer is not what I want, it gets mighty hot in the summer in Swamp East Missouri... I'm hip that Frog Toggs are not a long term investment.

Thanks
    JT
    Frog Toggs are probably warmer than Gortex is. Your rainsuit won’t breathe but the Gortex will.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I finally splurged and bought some great boots instead of using boot covers.

I bought a pair of pioneer outdry boots... Expensive, but my feet no longer get swamped and I don't have to carry the booties anymore nor do I have to worry about the time and struggle to put them on.
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...r-outdry-boots

I also bought a set of Blauers which are also waterproof and less pricey.
    https://www.blauer.com/blitz-8-water...t-fw028wp.html

Both have the Boa system for boot laces. I had a summer boot with the Boa system... and used them for seven or eight years - still have them too.. The Boa lace system held up well.

I just upgraded to the higher end Frogg Toggs:
    Jacket -
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AND Bib Pants - The bibs keep the water from blowing up under the jacket and getting down your pants.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those Toggs are a little bit more money but instead of just being the Tyvek type material, the inner is Tyvek and the outer is a tighter and tougher outer shell. I've had good luck with the cheaper Frogg Toggs, but after a few uses you'd still potentially have mystery leaks in some seams as they were stressed.

I bought this latest set of Toggs as a stop gap until I buy one of the new Olympia riding suits... You can now buy a decent riding jacket with a really good rain liner that has a hood and can be worn inside or outside the jacket or by itself... The pants you can pair with it have come a long way too. Very $$$ though. That said, I'm probably going that route as I would not have to carry extra rain gear. I already ride with an Olympia textile jacket with liner, but it isn't great in the rain - but I want it for the impact/skid protection. Since moving from a GS with side and top/tail bags to an F3, I'm trying anything to reduce the amount I pack.

I actually bought a nice one piece rain suit... Kept me dry from the rain, but I sweated so bad in it I ended up wet, sticky and stinky in it instead... Probably better for temps below 70 degrees....

Now... If someone can actually point to truly waterproof gloves I'd appreciate it. Every pair of motorcycle gloves I bought for rain use and thermal have been soaked through within 20-30 minutes in the rain. They repel water for a short while and that is it.

With the boots, I found money fixed the water issues...
    With rain gear, I found a little more money fixed the longevity issues and rain issues, though you can find bargains out there that will keep you dry.

Gloves though? I'm not sure stupid money spent on those actually gets you waterproof gloves that stay waterproof. I've spent up to $100 on gloves only to be let down on the claim they were waterproof. I've ordered a few different pair of waterproof gloves from Amazon this week and they aren't specifically motorcycle gloves. Going to test them out in Maggie Valley this coming week and expect to get wet. I'll see which ones if any stay mostly dry, and keep my hands warm enough.

So anyone have any glove recommendations where you have really worn them in a down pour for an extended period of time? I really don't want to spend $200 on a pair of gloves that is only going to let me down when I really need to keep my hands dry... like this time of year when it gets colder.
    Last edited by WackyDan; 10-09-2017 at 11:58 PM.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Thanks Dan, I didn't even think to look for higher end Frog Toggs. Wow those boots are pricey...

JT

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    jthornton

Look no further than Bajaron and the first gear line
    Got mine from him 2 years ago and have not gotten wet riding since. Ron has GREAT pricing also!!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Frog Toggs are probably warmer than Gortex is. Your rainsuit won’t breathe but the Gortex will.
    I have both the Frog Toggs and Gortex.
    The Frog Toggs are cheap, easily stowable and will keep you dry.
    The Gortex is expensive, bulky but will also keep you dry.....and a bit warmer without that "clamy" feel on long rides.

Spyder Garage

I have a high-end pair of BMW's Goretex rain gloves that really work, but boy, were they pricey! But they do breathe well in summer rain.

I also have a pair of Aerostich's three-finger overgloves, which can also double as a windbreaker over my regular riding gloves, allowing me to continue using my deerskin gloves when it gets chilly (bonus!). So far, they've held up -- no leaks.

I have a Toumaster two-piece rain suit. But lately, I've left the top at home, because I recently bought a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket with it's own removable rain liner. But if I strapped for room in my saddlebags, I also leave the jacket liner at home and instead carry a good Goretex rain parka. I figure I can don the pants, then put the Goretex over the mesh jacket. The bonus here is that, once I get off the bike, I have a nondescript parka to wear around.