Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, I have noticed the same, Wrongway. The Spyder is definitely a harsher ride than the Victory Vision I had, due to the reasons expressed by others, but mainly the three wheels instead of two issue. I have replaced the tyres and shocks, have installed the Bajaron stabiliser bar, and have fiddled the shock, airbag and tyre settings extensively, and the ride has improved quite a bit.

It is still not as smooth as the Vision was, but you can get it mighty close (for a price).

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As you see below, I have a '02 Wing, triked with a Motor Trike kit in '05. Mr. Cognac is a '14 Ltd with a comfort seat and trunk brake light. I had a sway bar on my '11 and could not tell much difference. I ride my Wing often and love it. It is a brute compared to Mr. C, and Mr. C is smoother and easier to ride....shifting, etc. My Wing is stronger in acceleration and very smooth on the Interstate at speed. The Wing does pretty well in the west Texas hills too. We have some Interstates posted at 80 MPH (Rednecks run 90+) and I can set the cruise on the Wing at 80 and go go go. Mr. Cognac is a little less stable at this speed and I normally cruse at the 75 MPH limit when not out in west Texas. The Wing CB is 3X my Spyder's.

If I could only have one, I would choose Mr. Cognac. I run 20 in front, 30 in the rear....OEM tires which I will change when the OEM wear out. The rear is my second Kinda.... (okay, no good). Mileage, 32 on the Wing and 36-38 on Mr. C. Tire wear....Wing....front 25-28K, rear are auto tires and I get 45-50K on them. FYI My Wing's differential and rear brakes are from a V6 Mustang.

Hint on tire pressure. As you know, it is different for different folks, single and two up, weight, etc. Put 24 or so in front and 34 in the rear.....take a ride, let out two pounds, take a ride, let out two pounds, etc. Find your personal pressure sweet spot. Enjoy.

Update. I wrecked Mr. Cognac in 2017 and bought a 2017 RS (Mr. White) when the 2018's came out....saved $$.

Last edited by Mr. White; 12-25-2017 at 02:37 PM.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond here. It's good to hear that it's not just us or our imagination.
    Like I've said, we love our Spyder and will continue to enjoy it together.
    In the future I'll look at replacing the tires with real tires.
    Other than that, play with air pressures and enjoy the safety.

thanks again
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Could it just be, that you have gone from a 6 cylinder motor to a twin?
    Why would that have a noticeable impact on the ride quality ??

Spyder Garage

To me and IMO, there can be a noticeable difference when going from one engine type--or--from one vehicle to another. I have three bikes and they are all different.

I have always felt the two cylinder was more crotch rocket and snappy feeling, and the three cylinder was more smooth. Bring in that six cylinder, GW and there is--to me--a noticeable difference in overall ride--not just engine sounds and feel.

I think the OP has a valid point.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-07-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Like others have said I run around 50 to 55 lbs of air in the rear shock. And the oem tires are not the best. Got rid of them at 12000 miles. I usually run 17 in the front and 26 in the rear. Make our 2011 RT ride really nice. We had a 2003 wing but the wife got tired of getting dumped over in parking lot at times. Just don't like the trikes out wings. But everyone has their own taste in their rides. Now we wouldn't take anything for the spyder we have at this point.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No matter what you do to the Spyder, it's still a 3-wheel machine that is going to have more side-to-side motion than a 2-wheeler on any given road.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Having gone from a 2010 Spyder RT and then to 2-wheels on a Honda NC700 (the wife took over the Spyder), I didn't really notice anything unexpected.

I then started having arthritis issues with both my knees so I sold the 2-wheeler and went to a Spyder RS and didn't notice anything unexpected at that time either.

Then I got knee replacement in both knees and sold the Spyder RS and bought a Honda CTX700 2-wheeler.

I didn't notice anything unexpected at that time however when the wife and I went on a motorcycle twisty vacation this summer she rode on the back of my 2-wheeler for a bit in the curves and said she really enjoyed the fun smooth ride.

I then went for a ride on her 2014 Spyder 2014 RTL, with and without her on the back and it scared the crap out of me! Ignoring the tremendous increase in power and speed compared to my little CTX (WOW!), the Spyder, with it's 3 wheels dipped left to right with every little ripple in the wonderful Virginia asphalt coverings they call roads. With a 2-wheeler you are on only one track so there is no left-to-right dipping in the road like there is on a 3-wheeler, particularly with the wide wheelbase of a Spyder.

Could this difference be some of what you are feeling?

How is it out on the Interstate? If you think the ride isn't right try setting the cruise control and letting go of the handlebars for a bit or at least steer with one finger and your thumb relaxed to see if you are the cause. There is also the wind buffeting issues...
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Default spyder rt verses goldwing

this is my 5th spyder 2016 rt I have 2008 gw witch I triked after one ride the gw has independent suspension I keep the rt upstate ny gw long island rt handles better rides better had both on tail on the dragon this fall rt handled the best . the reason I am keeping the gw on long island I can do maintenance my self. first thing I would do to your rt is get rid of the factory tires put federals on front . I did my 16 rt at 3000 miles rear tire at 4000 mile tires still had plenty of tread on them the difference was nite and day. my dealer mechanic said it was the best spyder he ever rode. when I buy my next spyder before it leaves dealership all 3 tires getting changed . CHANGE THE TIRES WILL MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENTS

Spyder Garage

Default tire pressures and air bag

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway View Post
    That's interesting and I'll try dropping the psi to see what happens.

I know when I bought the Spyder I had a 5 hour ride to bring it home and it felt horrible on the highway (it also had the stock swaybar then).
    After checking here, I checked tire pressures and fronts were at 14 and rear was at 22. Based on what I read here I set the fronts to 21 psi and rear at 26 psi.
    Took it for a ride and wow, big difference. Less twitchy and cornered better.

I didn't realize that adding the bajaron sway bar would require lowering the front psi.

I'll give it a try and see how it is.
    I weigh 190 and my wife 150 - we set our F3T airbag on 55 psi
    we run 18psi in the front tires
    we run 26 psi in the rear tire
    Plush plush plush
    It has the sway bar and lazer alignment but that's more of a steering and handling benefit.

Spyder Garage

Default Ride

You need to get air right! 24. 25 in rear. 18 20 front! The more air you put in rear suspension the higher you lift rear! The higher the rear the more negative the caster in the front wheel setting! More negative causes more ducking and diving!! Run the rear as low as you can without bottoming! The lower you can run the rear the more positive caster you get on front! More positive more straight tracking,less ducking and diving! I weigh 255, wife 150, I run the lowest setting on my 2014 RTS if road is smooth no bottoming. If road gets bumpier add air as necessary. Get rid of the junk stock tires as soon as you can. Buy good car tires. This unit reacts like a car it don't lean like 2 wheeler. You need car tires!! I got 215/60/15 on rear, 155/60/15 on front. It took me 20000 mi to get it to handle right. I now have 87,000 on the spyder, love it!!

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond here. It's good to hear that it's not just us or our imagination.
    Like I've said, we love our Spyder and will continue to enjoy it together.
    In the future I'll look at replacing the tires with real tires.
    Other than that, play with air pressures and enjoy the safety.

thanks again
    I see you are getting a few comments, I'll add a few new ones. My first thought since you are riding 2 up is that your suspension springs are not up to the task. I have owned a 12 RTS and a 13 STL and have to add stiffer springs front and rear for both bikes. When the suspension springs are not up to the task, you easily bottom out - the impact of the shock bottoming out is the harshness you feel. Air pressure in the tires or setting the air pressure to set ride height doesn't help the weaker springs keep you from bottoming out the suspension.

An easy thing to check is the bottom of your skid plate. Based on my testing on the STL, I found the bike lowers 1.4" for every 1" compression of the front shocks. If you are bottoming out [alot], you will likely see damage (scrapes) to the bottom of your front end. Post back what you see after looking at the bottom front of the Spyder.

The stock STL front springs are 169 lbs/in straight rate springs (too weak IMHO), the fox shocks are 181 lbs/in and the ones I went with are 225 lbs/in.

Jerry
    Last edited by spacetiger; 12-28-2017 at 12:16 AM.
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Default Wing Vs Spyder

Prior to buying our Spyder in August I read as much as possible on this site to make sure we would be happy with the Spyder.
    I read a lot of posts by former Goldwing riders who said that they loved the Spyder and the smooth ride.
    After putting over 5,000 miles on our Spyder in 2 months, my wife and I think that the Spyder rides very rough.
    Don't get me wrong, the pro's far outweigh the cons.
    I've had the dealer (a reputable dealer) check out the rear suspension and everything checked out.
    I had them install the bajaron sway bar which made a vast difference in cornering.
    I have 74 psi in the rear air and the dash setting in the middle. The compressor is working and we hear the pst pst pst of the Spyder at appropriate times.
    We're not sure if what we're considering a rough ride is due to 3 wheels tracking and the resulting twitchy feeling caused by this.
    I don't hold onto the bars tightly and try to let the Spyder do it's thing without over-correcting the twitches.
    Any input is appreciated because we really do love our Spyder and will never go back to 2 wheels despite the fact that we both feel 2 wheels is much smoother.

thanks
    Greg
    I had a Gold wing trike with a Roadsmith kit and put 15 K miles on it. I now have a 2014 RTS with 15 K miles and the Spyder wins hands down in all areas. As far as the ride comfort a two wheel heavy bike will ride better. I'm unable to hold up a big bike with a passenger so that's the reason for 3 wheels. My two cents, Neil

Spyder Garage

I have demo ridden 3 different Goldwing trikes. First was a 1500 with a solid rear axle and it rode and handled like a lumber wagon. The next two were GL1800 with independent rear suspension and the ride and hadling was much improved. The steering in town on all three required pretty good upper body strength for sharp 90 degree turns but not too bad out on the highway. ON the other hand I have demoed four different Spyders the first being a 2008 GS which was a little too much like a crotch rocket ergonomically and I remember the feeling of almost being thrown off by centrufugal force in curve & turns. The next two were RT Spyders the fist being a 998 V-twin. The ergonomics are pretty near the same as a Goldwing with knees bent 90 degrees and sitting upright. Handling was similar to a small car but nothing bad. Next was a 1330 powered RT and the motor was smoother and more refined but the trike was very nearly the same as the first RT. Last was a 2015 F3-S and that one fit me the best ergonomics wise. The lower stance and forward controls made the centifugal forces seem less. The handling was a bit more like a sports car but the ride was very smooth and the seat was absolutely plush. I am getting to where three wheels is going to be a necessity and I'm considering either the F3T or the F3 Limited based upon my demo experiences. The ergos and the higher center of gravity of the RT didn't quite agree with me but the F3 models seemed to have it in spades. If you like your ride loaded up the F3 Limited might be worth taking a test ride on before you go back top two wheels. Just my long winded 2 cents worth.

Spyder Garage

Default excellent post,

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I will add that the time I felt the most vulnerable on a ride was on I-15 in Utah going around a long sweeping curve at 80 mph, the speed limit, on my 2005 Goldwing. I realized that if ANYTHING happened, like a rock on the road, or a rabbit running across, or whatever, and if I were to hit it I would be a goner. One day when I stopped at a truck stop in Mtn Home, ID with my 2013 RT I got to thinking I was feeling a whole lot safer on the Spyder at 80 mph than I ever did on the Goldwing at 70 mph. For me, the feeling of safety I have riding the Spyder has reinstilled the joy of riding. In my book safety is paramount. Comfort is just a close second.

Spyder Garage

Coming from 2 wheels to 3, I was uneasy with the 'twitchiness' as so-called, the wandering, poor performance in cornering, the harshness (or slop) of the ride, etc. The first chunk of change I threw at my F3 was new shocks. And it's still by far the BEST money I've thrown at the Spyder. It changed everything about the handling and the ride. Call and talk to the folks at Elka. A few months from now, you'll be giving people the same advice on this forum!

Ryde safe!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    I can totally admit that I had similar experience until I did the unthinkable.

I got rid of the awful OEM tires on the front and replaced them with Federal Formosa AZ01.

I can say with 110% conviction that it took about 1/2 mile of ryding to discover a whole new Byke. There was no more Road Rut Bounce (RRB), even on the worst pavement in my area, where previously I had to slow down because the Byke would bounce from one Rut to the other. The only change that I did from the previous day was the tires.

I should have done that 10,000 miles before. The cost was a little over $100 plus $35 for a tire shop to mount the tires on the wheels and an hour of my time.

Joe
    Amen to that brother, we were doing 85mph passing semi's on I 44 today. Love those AZ01s @17psi.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

As far as I know, the Spyder is the only 3 wheeler engineered to ride on 3 wheels. Most trike's have car tires on the rear and a motorcycle tire in the front and I road a Harley and Goldwing with a conversion kit on before purchasing the Spyder. Did not like the handling at all. Did not get a chance to ride a Spyder before we purchased our 2016 RT and I was a little disappointed in the bumpiness of our ride and uneasiness and floating sensation going around curves. Initially, I upgraded to Baja Ron's sway bar and this increased the handling going around curves and turns. This upgrade did not take away the bumpiness and vibrations though. To increase the performance, handling, comfort, and safety of our ride we upgraded our tires to Vredstein Quatrac 5 car tires with 16 psi front 18 psi rear we are enjoying the most comfortable, smooth ride. We made this change with only 3500 miles on our Spyder. We do not regret at all making these upgrades. Notice I changed to we the last several sentences as my wife now enjoys her Spyder more than ever. There are other car tire's recommended by the great contributor's of this forum and all will serve you well. We firmly believe these upgrades will make your Spyder experience most enjoyable. It did for us. Enjoy and be safe!!!!

Spyder Garage

I Spyderman
    I have run a GoldWing 1800 2003 for 10 years, She has great quality like her wonderful boxster engine handling and many others.
    The Spyder is a good compromise when your physique starts to have problems with the feet wear osteoarthritis hands and back.
    It's nice to have an easy-to-drive Spyder and some faults like the GoldWing.
    My personal opinion, there is nothing that will beat a GoldWing 1800cc.
    My GoldWing stays in the family it's boy who's the new owner.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

I don't really understand these threads. "Why isn't my spyder ..." when compared to something else. It isn't whatever you're comparing it too. It's a whole new machine with a completely different ride, feel and different handling characteristics. I was a long time goldwing rider and I waited 2 years before pulling the trigger on my spyder. I didn't have any preconceived notions regarding ride or handling of a spyder I wanted to ride and appreciated all of it's characteristics. 2 wheeled bikes are adjusted to quickly and are fairly easy to ride. Our spyders are easier to ride but they have a longer adjustment period to get used to all of the different feelings you get when riding one. In most cases there is nothing wrong with our spyders, we just need to adjust our expectations. Get on your spyder and ride with an open mind, you will enjoy it a whole lot more then trying to understand why it's not like your old 2 wheeler. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

Get rid of the stock Kendas. They are, hands down, the absolute worst tire you can mount on a Spyder. Any other tire will give you a noticeable improvement in ride quality and handling.

Why BRP stands by Kenda is one of the greatest questions of the modern age.

Spyder Garage

Why BRP stands by Kenda is one of the greatest questions of the modern age. Answer....$$$$

Spyder Garage

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    I am so proud of you that you have been through all that you have and didn't let it keep you down!
    I second that!! Ill send my address and send me just a little of that drive.