Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Download a Google map to my 660

I need help in learning how to download a Google map to my Garmin 660. I have Base Camp and map source (not supported by Garmin anymore I think). Base Camp seems very complicated to me. I know there is a video on how to use it but seems to be a pain.....

Any easier way to download a map? One of my problems is I am not too swift on this computer thing. Thanks.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you want to download a map.

What you probably want to do is download a "route" that you would setup in Basecamp, that can be done but I do not know the procedure either.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be able to help.

And you're right, Basecamp is not user friendly, I tried and gave up.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

I too struggled with this issue until MazoEMS2 suggested I use a website and or phone application called MyRouteApp, website at https://www.myrouteapp.com
    This website and or phone app allows you to use Google Maps, Garmin, or Tom Tom maps to create, modify, optimize, share, and upload to your Garmin or Tom Tom GPS, or use on your phone if you're using your phone on your bike for mapping.
    Since switching to it and going through the tutorials I've been able to preplan or plan on the fly and have the routes loaded into my Garmin.
    I planned and uploaded to my Garmin the entire 6 day Spyders in the Ozarks trip we took recently. I had several optional self guided rides for the area around Springfield / Nixa area.

Suggest anyone checking it out just try the Free version. Most folks can do all they want with the free version over the paid version.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the inputs. Yes, I wish to download a Google route to my 660. A friend I ride with lays out our routes for our rides each Saturday on Google. His method of downloading the route from Google to my laptop/GPS does not work with AOL (I know, poor at best). His maps are accompanied by the written route roads so I can put on Google and maybe transfer it to my 660 if I knew how to download the route to my 660.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cognac View Post
    I need help in learning how to download a Google map to my Garmin 660. I have Base Camp and map source (not supported by Garmin anymore I think). Base Camp seems very complicated to me. I know there is a video on how to use it but seems to be a pain.....

Be careful using BaseCamp with your 660. The small print on Garmin's site says the two aren't compatible, that you need to use MapSource. By experience you can use BC to create waypoints and transfer to your 660 but you can't send actual routes directly from BC to the 660 (you can send it to MapSource and then to the 660), you won't get the route you think you will, if it transfers at all. Luckily I printed out the maps of my routes. On my Dragon ride it didn't transfer and I had to fall back on the printed maps to get me around the route I had planned. Other times the circular route I had planned transferred but it dropped some of my turn points and wanted to go direct to a waypoint across the circle instead of going around like the plan.
    2017 RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cognac, it's not you. The software from Garmin has become incredibly powerful, sophisticated and complex. I would just forget that and use one of the other routing solutions discussed here. I use Google maps, but haven't yet figured out how or if I want to download routes to my gps, so will be watching this thread closely.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

MrCognac, UtahPete, and others, The MyRoute-app website allows you to use Google Maps(within the MyRouteapp interface), create your route, and then upload it(transfer it) to your Garmin, without using the horrible BaseCamp application at all. I can even create a route, then Share (send) it to a riding buddy in Wisconsin, who can also upload it into his Garmin GPS so we both have the exact same route to destination points, etc.
    I can pick waypoints (more than Google maps normally allows) by Name, address, or using the map and selecting the intersection I want a turn to happen at. I can save Favorite locations (Group ride starting point, favorite roadside stops, breakfast, lunch, or dinner spots etc) And I can even have the app custom generate a random route using specified start location and pick hillier or curvier routes.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

DGoebel is right on. Check out the MyRoute app. It's pretty slick!! The free version will do what ya need. As Dave mentioned, he was looking for input on a way through southern WI from MN. I just happen to live where he wanted to ride through, and I know some pretty awesome roads...so, I created a route quick and shared it with him through the app. All he had to do was upload it to his Garmin.

Login
    Create a route
    Save the route
    Share the route
    Upload the route
    etc.....
    I'm sure there are features I haven't even realized were there....but, who needs all that fancy stuff anyway??
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    MrCognac, UtahPete, and others, The MyRoute-app website allows you to use Google Maps(within the MyRouteapp interface), create your route, and then upload it(transfer it) to your Garmin, without using the horrible BaseCamp application at all. I can even create a route, then Share (send) it to a riding buddy in Wisconsin, who can also upload it into his Garmin GPS so we both have the exact same route to destination points, etc.
    I can pick waypoints (more than Google maps normally allows) by Name, address, or using the map and selecting the intersection I want a turn to happen at. I can save Favorite locations (Group ride starting point, favorite roadside stops, breakfast, lunch, or dinner spots etc) And I can even have the app custom generate a random route using specified start location and pick hillier or curvier routes.
    Ill check that out. Thanks. https://www.myrouteapp.com/en
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Ill check that out. Thanks. https://www.myrouteapp.com/en

Also found this have not tried it yet,

Spyder Garage

Paul G. Thanks, that does work for simple trips that require 10 or less waypoints. That should work for many trip routes.
    The www.myrouteapp.com Google maps allows you many more waypoints than 10 so I could create routes like these for Spyders in the Ozarks
    This route example below had 18 waypoints (still using Google maps as the map source though) and it has a upload to your GPS feature without having to use Garmin's BaseCamp at all.
    SitO SW.JPG
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020