Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    10jan2016 I rolled out of the garage heading for a Patriot Guard ride, it was 21 degrees. when we rode thru Washington Pa it was 15 degrees up along rt 18. bike was fine, I thought I was gonna freeze solid! I cut my new foam grip covers off so I could get more heat through my gloves. i'll not ride under 30/35 degrees again unless I absolutely have to until I can afford heated gear.
    Last year a friend gave me a heated liner, I just need to get an adapter to plug it in. Need to start on that since it is cooling off.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

I ride down to 30 degrees in the mornings to work, but that's my limit. I have rode in colder weather, but it's just torture on me. Watch the road for icy spots at all times in the cold.
    I have insulated gear, but not heated . I love my heated grips, but I wish I could afford a heated seat though.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

Geez, you guys are talking about too cold to ride. Here in Tucson our riding season is just beginning. Road the BMW Roadster (R1200R LC) today and

still too hot 102* on the asphalt highway. We used to ride our snowmobiles in MSP some times below O*. Snowmobile suit, gloves and boots. Really it

was not bad. Rode M/C 's in temps below freezing if roads were clear. Oh, did I mention when riding the sleds we stopped every hour for a shot of Snow

Shoe. ( one half Christian Bros. Brandy and one half Peppermint Schnapps mixed together ) All the Wisconsin and Minnesota folks know what I am

talking about, right? You Betcha!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Geez, you guys are talking about too cold to ride. Here in Tucson our riding season is just beginning. Road the BMW Roadster (R1200R LC) today and

still too hot 102* on the asphalt highway. We used to ride our snowmobiles in MSP some times below O*. Snowmobile suit, gloves and boots. Really it

was not bad. Rode M/C 's in temps below freezing if roads were clear. Oh, did I mention when riding the sleds we stopped every hour for a shot of Snow

Shoe. ( one half Christian Bros. Brandy and one half Peppermint Schnapps mixed together ) All the Wisconsin and Minnesota folks know what I am

talking about, right? You Betcha!

Jack
    You Betcha.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REALLY COLD TEMPS

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    They use these same engines in the snowmobiles and they run in really harsh weather. Unlike some of the deisel engines where you need to heat them up before starting them up in freezing weather these will fire up and run fine...
    My friends and I took a one week trip at the top of Maine .... this was right after the Terrible / famous ICE Storm that crippled the North east .... In the morning it was usually 35 below ZERO and didn't get above ZERO everyday ..... None of our various machines failed to start ... and they were out all night .... So gas engines aren't harmed by the cold ....jmho ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default cold

Firstgear from Ron.I bought one about 2 years ago.It will extend your riding season.A good product from a great Guy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    My friends and I took a one week trip at the top of Maine .... this was right after the Terrible / famous ICE Storm that crippled the North east .... In the morning it was usually 35 below ZERO and didn't get above ZERO everyday ..... None of our various machines failed to start ... and they were out all night .... So gas engines aren't harmed by the cold ....jmho ... Mike
    35 Below--You are one tough SOB. At that temp, it is so cold you feel that it could be cut with a knife. It hurts to breath the air.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default air cooled engines

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    You drive your four wheel vehicles in cold weather; no difference with a Spyder. cold weather isn't going to hurt them. Dress appropriately. I ride into the 30s.
    Similarly, air cooled motorcycles, snow machines, lawn and garden equipment all function well (sometimes better) in cooler weather. Below the freezing point might create an issue, but in Minnesota and Wisconsin there are late autumn and early spring rides where the date is set several months prior and you are expected to ride regardless of the weather. MN has a "frosted nuts" ride each year that is quite well attended and has riders representing several states. J

Spyder Garage

I rode to work this week and it was about 35˚ on the way in (17 mile commute). I was fine, except for my hands. I'd like to keep riding to work, so I'm thinking about adding the heated grips. Do you riders who have them think that they were worth the money?
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Spyder Garage

Default true statement

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    My used 2013 RTL ran fine last winter until the snow plows ran 2 days in a row, then the next clear day I rode it into storage. HEATED GRIPS, best option I've ever had on a cycle......
    Here in MN, Snowmobiling clothes are as common as swimsuits in Florida, below 0 riding on dry roads is the same as riding a sled. (Actually I think I feel warmer behind the 998 engine).

True statment if you ride a sled you can ride a Spyder on dry roads.
    2014 Spyder RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I've ridden as cold as 17F and was comfortable except for my eyes. They were tearing up and the tears were freezing. The trick to riding in very cold weather is layers, lots of them. Also, I use the brown insulated overalls like you see farmers using in the winter. With enough layers and the right insulated clothing you will be amazed at how warm you are in the cold. Someday I may get some electric clothing but for now I'm fine.
    2011 Spyder RT SM5
    2006 Honda Shadow Aero 750
    1974 Rokon MX340
    1984 Toyota tube buggy (Truggy) rock crawler (highly modified)
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser(modifiedfor off-roaduse)