Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Riding in Cool/Cold Weather

This morning the temp was in the mid 50's and I noticed that the engine temp was about 1/3 upscale. Two questions:
    1. Is is okay to run the engine that cool?

2. How cold will some of you ride?

I rode in the 30's and 40's regularly on my Victory Cross Country.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

Default How Cold is COLD

Glad you asked this question I'm curious about this too. I live in the northeast and I try and ride all year. Basically if it's dry out and I can squeeze in a ride I will. The coldest I've gone for a ride was in the 40s and man was that cold. I had no issues I did notice that the fan did not come on but that kind of made sense to me.
    2016 Spyder RS SM5
    2016 RS , Black

Spyder Garage

On my 2012 RT with air vents it was common to be at 2 bars during 35-40 degree weather and even 1 Bar a few times.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    On my 2012 RT with air vents it was common to be at 2 bars during 35-40 degree weather and even 1 Bar a few times.
    The 998 engine definitely doesn't have heat issues when it's cold outside!
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Pedal Box

Spyder Garage

You drive your four wheel vehicles in cold weather; no difference with a Spyder. cold weather isn't going to hurt them. Dress appropriately. I ride into the 30s.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    You drive your four wheel vehicles in cold weather; no difference with a Spyder. cold weather isn't going to hurt them. Dress appropriately. I ride into the 30s.
    True, although the cold weather doesn't cause my car engine temperature to drop like it does on my Spyder. But, we are talking about a much smaller engine that is not enclosed as much!
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Pedal Box

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While my group, The Hill Country Road Riders, ride 12 months a year, my pain thresh hold now is 40 degrees. The cold seems to bother me more as I get older. I have ridden with them @ 27 once, but it was too cold. Most have electric jackets and certainly heavy clothing. The good part about our area in south Texas is it warms up during the day....it may start out at 40 but goes up as we putt along.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Default No hibernate

MY '14 RT gets run all year. In winter sunshine makes all the difference. If it's dry I can get out for a few miles in the 30's. I've got a heated seat and grips, a good pair of gloves and I'm good to go. Maybe someday I'll spring for a heated vest.
    Chuck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
    This morning the temp was in the mid 50's and I noticed that the engine temp was about 1/3 upscale. Two questions:
    1. Is is okay to run the engine that cool?

2. How cold will some of you ride?

I rode in the 30's and 40's regularly on my Victory Cross Country.
    Internal combustion engines run by causing little explosions in a timed sequence. If it will run, it can't be too cold. The designers spend all of their time trying to keep them from running too hot!

Spyder Garage

Two days ago, I needed to go for an early morning health appointment, about 7 or 8 miles away. Headed out a little after 8:00 am, temp around 40 F. Decided to go by bike rather than cage. I let the motor on the F3L warm up a bit, but I had gone a couple of miles before the first temp bar even showed on the dash. Hands were quite cool, gloves on. Wasn't until I reached my destination that 4 full temp bars showed. I only stayed about 15 minutes before heading back home. Bike was warmer by then and heated grips were up and working, so more comfortable. 1330 performed well; no problems.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

We ride year round, last year on the first of January we spent all day riding and it started at 27 degrees and never got over 34 that day. My wife rides with heated gloves, pants and jacket and even has a pair of snowmobile boots that she will put on. All I need is my heated jacket or heated vest.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Default Bike runs great - Shield the body from the wind and you,re good to go

A day of riding in the 40's can get you cold without heated gear. But the RT has the best wind protection and heated grips of the bunch and you can put your legs up to the radiator vents to get a little heat now that it's fall. Good gear and sometimes a little duct tape around the pant leg/boot gap can be your friend on a cold damp morning--
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

I've ridden to work some this week. Monday, it was 41˚F when I left the house, and today it was 47˚. I'm cool after a 25 minute commute, but not uncomfortable, wearing just regular gear (but heavy gloves). The days are getting shorter, so I'm getting to see the sun rise over the mountains as I ride in.

The reward is the 70˚ weather for the ride home!
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My coldest ride so far was 29 degrees. Cold weather will not hurt these bikes. Probably going to be lower 40's and possibly upper 30's some mornings at the Maggie Valley rally. Not going to stop me from riding though.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default Relax....

They use these same engines in the snowmobiles and they run in really harsh weather. Unlike some of the deisel engines where you need to heat them up before starting them up in freezing weather these will fire up and run fine...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

rode around 0 several times when it was around 0 without heated gear just lots of layers. We do the polar bear run every year on 1 January. Now have the heated grips so will be easier to ride when it is cold.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ride year round, yes, I live in the panhandle of Florida, but it does get cold her in the winter (30's sometimes). As mention in other posts, it's ok to ride-just dress for the ride. Dale

Spyder Garage

Default Cool/Cold Weather Riding

Quote Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
    This morning the temp was in the mid 50's and I noticed that the engine temp was about 1/3 upscale. Two questions: 1. Is is okay to run the engine that cool? 2. How cold will some of you ride? I rode in the 30's and 40's regularly on my Victory Cross Country.
    As long as your coolant is 50/50, you'll be fine. Just like your car/truck.
    This morning it was +3 C ... about 37 F. That's v-e-r-y cool but we still ride, knowing that it will warm up later in the afternoon.
    2014 ST Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Things I have learned in over 200,000 Spyder miles. You can ride in the heat, you can ride in the cold, you can ride in the rain, you can ride in snow (well a little snow). You can wash your Spyder with water and you can run it on any gas that you can find (it won’t run without gas)
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Things I have learned in over 200,000 Spyder miles. You can ride in the heat, you can ride in the cold, you can ride in the rain, you can ride in snow (well a little snow). You can wash your Spyder with water and you can run it on any gas that you can find (it won’t run without gas)
    You are a trooper, and every word above is true.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I learned to drive motorcycles when I lived in Minnesota in the 60's. My coldest--about 15 below zero. Riding in the neighborhood to perfect my shifting technique on my first motorcycle. A Yamaha 80. Those were the days before motorcycle riding gear was very popular. Jeans, long sleeve shirt, winter jacket, stocking cap inside the Bell helmet.

Forward to 2017. It's already turned cold. 40's in the day and 30's at night. My current thresholds are I am done when the snow and black ice comes to my country road. does not do well on ice. I will ride in the 20's but that is about it now. When it becomes an endurance ordeal--I park it.

No warm up needed for the . Mine are kept in a 50 degree, heated garage.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My used 2013 RTL ran fine last winter until the snow plows ran 2 days in a row, then the next clear day I rode it into storage. HEATED GRIPS, best option I've ever had on a cycle......
    Here in MN, Snowmobiling clothes are as common as swimsuits in Florida, below 0 riding on dry roads is the same as riding a sled. (Actually I think I feel warmer behind the 998 engine).
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The coldest ride I've ever experienced was 16F across the deserts of SoCal in February several years ago. That was on my Wing. Never want to do it again!

Spyder Garage

The Victory Cross Country Tour that I traded had heated grips and seat, with a big fairing. The only thing that really got cold on me was my knees. The air flow around the lower fairings put air directly on my knees, so I wore knee pads when it was really cold.

The Spyder heated grips respond quickly, that is nice.

I like to ride year round. Although, I would rather ride when it is 35 rather than 95!
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Pedal Box

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

10jan2016 I rolled out of the garage heading for a Patriot Guard ride, it was 21 degrees. when we rode thru Washington Pa it was 15 degrees up along rt 18. bike was fine, I thought I was gonna freeze solid! I cut my new foam grip covers off so I could get more heat through my gloves. i'll not ride under 30/35 degrees again unless I absolutely have to until I can afford heated gear.