Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Changing the location of the Garmin 590LM

Like most ryders, I have a hard time seeing the display of my Garmin while wearing my hi-viz jacket and some times while wearing just a light-colored T-shirt. I am considering moving the GPS to the top of the dash, but I don't know if the "stock" cable will reach to that location. Has anyone done this? What was the outcome? Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions that you might be able to offer.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Have you considered a hood for your GPS? I always wear a high vis jacket and on my 5,300+ mile trip to the Red Rocks rally I could easily see the screen under all light conditions. http://www.priushood.com/
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have moved mine to the dash, and like it there because I don't have to take my eyes off the road to see the display. But, I still see the reflection of my shirt an try to wear a darker one to off set that. Turn the brightness of the display up to high and that helps also. And yes, there is enough of the wiring to reach to the top of the dash, but you may have to take the panels off the right side in order to loose up the harness. All I can say is I like mine up there, it is easier to see, without loosing sight of the road.

012f5374ad9cd6c8119a1486b3b656ed57fbca1cf1.jpg

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

I have also moved mine to the top of the dash. Yes, I still get the dreaded reflection of my white helmet or yellow jacket. I prefer it there as I do not need to look down for the GPS. I left OEM Garmin harness in place and simply purchased a Garmin harness to install on dash top. Used JT mount and ran the wiring along side the OEM stuff.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    I have also moved mine to the top of the dash. Yes, I still get the dreaded reflection of my white helmet or yellow jacket. I prefer it there as I do not need to look down for the GPS. I left OEM Garmin harness in place and simply purchased a Garmin harness to install on dash top. Used JT mount and ran the wiring along side the OEM stuff.
    This is what I did also. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ght=dash+mount
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Many Thanks

It seems that the stock cable for the Garmin IS long enough (?). So many great ideas here, this will be my non-riding season project. Thank you to all who have provided input!!
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Default up to dash too!

I moved mine up there too. was a previous post around june of this year. just be prepared to have spyder all apart. it was almost naked!, but learned how it comes apart
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400